Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM

281 posts, read 710,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The only "problem" would have been getting a ticket for littering maybe.
Are you joking? Illegally dumping waste is substantially more serious than littering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It's possible that it was an accidental release (a leak), since diesel fuel is expensive.
According to the police report, a truck was circling our block with a 55 gallon drum draining out the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM

20,266 posts, read 36,992,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Are you joking? Illegally dumping waste is substantially more serious than littering.

According to the police report, a truck was circling our block with a 55 gallon drum draining out the back.
Did the police say that the driver intentionally left the drum spilling fuel? Is it possible that the drum was not secure and it fell on its side spilling its contents?

Anything is possible, but I just find it hard to believe that a driver intentionally spills fuel along the way, simply because fuel spills are very noticeable, very expensive to control, and involve very high liabilities. A driver can easily lose his or her job, and the company would have to pay for the spill response as well as any other problems related to the spill. It's very expensive.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-20-2012 at 01:27 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
And my favorite, a quote from the first officer one scene, "there is so much on the roadway that if someone threw down a cigarette there would be problems."
The cop needs an education on the volatility of diesel/oil.

This is presumably a dirt road? It was common practice years ago to oil dirt roads, this makes a nice compacted road that is almost like asphalt. I would imagine the practice is illegal everywhere. They still "oil" dirt roads but it's a different product than just oil.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Did the police say that the driver intentionally left the drum spilling fuel? Is it possible that the drum was not secure and it fell on its side spilling its contents?

Anything is possible, but I just find it hard to believe that a driver intentionally spills fuel along the way, simply because fuel spills are very noticeable, very expensive to control, and involve very high liabilities. A driver can easily lose his or her job, and the company would have to pay for the spill response as well as any other problems related to the spill. It's very expensive.
The OP never said it was intentional. Plus, it really doesn't matter if it was intentional or not.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The cop needs an education on the volatility of diesel/oil.

This is presumably a dirt road? It was common practice years ago to oil dirt roads, this makes a nice compacted road that is almost like asphalt. I would imagine the practice is illegal everywhere. They still "oil" dirt roads but it's a different product than just oil.
Asphalt. The OP provided a picture in post #8.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,429,320 times
Reminds me (well, I was just a little kid then) of visiting MO.... A relative essentially abandoned a car in Times Beach (granted dioxin is way worse than diesel/motor oil, but none of that is good for the environment). Darn, I wanted that car.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, the police report said it was intentionall, and it's absurd to think someone would accidentally drive circles around our block and up and down our alley while unwittingly allowing a drum of oil spill out the back of their truck, but it's very nice of you to give this criminal the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,351,261 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. It doesn't appear that anyone is cleaning anything up. In fact, when I got home, the booms were gone from the storm drains.

Have a look at this storm-water running out of our alley!
That's oil mixed with water. Probably diesel, since that's what you report smelling.

Whoever did this is stupid, but you and your family are not at great risk. Just keep your kids out of the alley for awhile. Between rain, sunshine and wind, this stuff will dissipate.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,756,466 times
Quote:
You seriously missed the majority of my post didn't you, either that or you didn't understand it. What I was saying is that there is NO way on gods little green earth a cigarette dropped on any of the substances mentioned (motor oil, heating oil, or diesel) would it ignite them. The part about littering would be in reference to the cops mention if someone had dropped a cigarette; NOT the clown who dumped.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You seriously missed the majority of my post didn't you, either that or you didn't understand it. What I was saying is that there is NO way on gods little green earth a cigarette dropped on any of the substances mentioned (motor oil, heating oil, or diesel) would it ignite them. The part about littering would be in reference to the cops mention if someone had dropped a cigarette; NOT the clown who dumped.
The second one, haha, I misunderstood your wording. Ironically, you missed that I posted the officer's quote because it was hilarious, which is why I said it was my favorite, not the most accurate or concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House