Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Water efficient washing machines are like low water usage toilets. They just do not get the job done properly but itching aside, your are being green....or is is red from scratching.......LOL
You are making the assumption that all low water usage toilets don't work. My do, as well as My daugters and many others I have tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
You are making the assumption that all low water usage toilets don't work. My do, as well as My daugters and many others I have tried.
Whir

The early on ones, even the better name/brand ones, did not work well. They have gotten better.

Remember. The "pioneers" are the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can see where this would be the case with a top loader, I'm not even sure how they could make a water efficient top loader. By it's very nature it needs a lot of water. With the front loader you just don't need much water, less detergent etc.

......and yes I do wash clothes, I use about tablespoon of detergent in each wash. Things get clean and they don't smell like detergent at all.
You are completely wrong. Washer manufacturers make two identical machines, one front and the other top loader. The top loader uses a little more water than a front loader, but the electronics and features are identical on both. Not only that, but some HE top loaders have a much larger capacity than front loaders (use more water, too), and since they don't have a gasket that is immersed in water like front-loading washers, they don't stink as much. Finally, new HE top loaders don't have the tall agitators old top loaders use. If you look inside the tub of both a front and top loader (sam brand and model) their agitators look about the same.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Nope, I was using the minimum fill line on the detergent cap with a full load. Also think about it, when the wash water drains and there's no rinsing involved other than a feeble spray of water how exactly are your clothes getting clean and rinsed out????
Were you using HE-graded liquid or powder laundry soap?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
This seems like a specific problem with that machine rather than a problem with all HE machines. I have a Samsung HE front loader and it's wonderful, and I checked out all the reviews before buying and found people love it. I don't think mold is a big issue as long as you don't latch the door when it's still wet, I do a quick wipe down on mine after washing, or just leave the door slightly ajar, and we have no mold or funky smell.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are completely wrong. Washer manufacturers make two identical machines, one front and the other top loader. The top loader uses a little more water than a front loader, but the electronics and features are identical on both.
And as outlined in this post they apparently don't work. How do you agitate clothes in a top loader without filling it up? The clothes need to move and with a top loader the only way you can do that is by filling it with water. The same thing goes for the rinse cycle, you need movement.

Having said that I don't see how atop loader can come anywhere near the water usage of front loader. I've had both, and I'm doubting the front loader we have uses more than a gallon or two water per cycle.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Water efficient washing machines are like low water usage toilets. They just do not get the job done properly but itching aside, your are being green....or is is red from scratching.......LOL
Hi accufitgolf--

A couple months ago, the landlord came around with a maintenance guy and replaced all the faucets, showers, and toilets with new "low-flow" devices. It was infuriating. The toilet didn't flush right (turds and toilet paper often wouldn't go down the first time), it took forever to fill a cooking put with water, etc, etc.

I had to break out the toolbox and defeat all the "low-flow" measures - usually involving knocking larger holes in the aerators with a hammer, or in the case of the toilet, shortening the tank's chain by a couple inches so the tank actually empties when flushing.

I save all my cans for the scrap yard, I drive a Prius, I have CFL bulbs in every light socket, and my HVAC combined is less than $80 a month. But I refuse, under any circumstances, to permit low-flow devices in my home.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And as outlined in this post they apparently don't work. How do you agitate clothes in a top loader without filling it up? The clothes need to move and with a top loader the only way you can do that is by filling it with water. The same thing goes for the rinse cycle, you need movement.

Having said that I don't see how atop loader can come anywhere near the water usage of front loader. I've had both, and I'm doubting the front loader we have uses more than a gallon or two water per cycle.
But they do work. The very small agitator (more like ribs at the bottom of the tub) on a top loader is designed to move the clothes around, while the front loader's tub turns around and the clothes splash around. The result is the same, and then when each spins at high speed, the RPM speed is the same. The high speed spin squeezes all the water, dirt, soap, and whatever is in the clothes. The only difference between the two is that the top loader uses a little more water than the same model in front loader version. A former coworker of mine, who is perhaps the best appliance technician in the interior of Alaska, and who also has the largest service contracts has taken care of both kinds for several years now. He tells me the differences between the two, and that's why I have been using HE top loaders in the past few years. At work we have both. One thing about HE top leaders is that some are a little too aggressive in relation to agitation, which can damage some clothes. For that reason I use the gentler cycles for delicate clothes.

In my view the problem the OP had with his was related to either a defect with the machine itself, or the wrong amount, or kind of soap. The following link illustrates the differences between HE front loaders, regular top loaders, and HE top loaders (the last one):

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/prod...shing-machines

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-20-2012 at 01:15 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 AM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I have top load HE washer and absolutely no problems.
Maybe:
- you use too much of laundry detergent ( you can use just 1/2 of recommended dose and still have perfectly washed laundry)
- you need to change the brand of your detergent. What about using Persil or Ariel?
- you put too much laundry into the washer
- the water faucets are not all the way on
- your water filter is clogged ( not the lint ) Yes, there is a mash filter in your water hose, where it connects to the washer.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But they do work. The very small agitator (more like ribs at the bottom of the tub) on a top loader is designed to move the clothes around, while the front loader's tub turns around and the clothes splash around. The result is the same, and then when each spins at high speed, the RPM speed is the same. The high speed spin squeezes all the water, dirt, soap, and whatever is in the clothes. The only difference between the two is that the top loader uses a little more water than the same model in front loader version. In my view the problem the OP had with his was related to either a defect with the machine itself, or the wrong amount, or kind of soap.
All of your explanation is a fail unfortunately. The result is not the same as one gets with a traditional machine with agitator that fills with water and covers the clothing. I've watched the process. In a high efficiency top-load washer, whatever is on top stays on top and whatever is underneath stays there as well in terms of items in the load. It's physically impossible for not fully saturated material sitting in a gallon of water to absorb detergent, release dirt/enzymes and spin dry simultaneously while being spritzed with water as a "rinse". Lastly for those who suggest wrong detergent, I was using Dreft High Efficiency Formula using the minimum quantity in the cap. Also for those who say they're using a tablespoon of detergent for a full load, do you really think you're getting clean clothes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House