Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,227,592 times

Advertisements

The germ phobia has really gotten to silly stages now. Tests show that wiping a surface with plain water and a clean cloth removes 95% of all germs. Add a cleaner, non-antibacterial, and you remove 99% of all germs. Wood actually has a germicidal action of its own so despite all the warnings, it is safer than alternative cutting surfaces. This has been tested and proven.

Cook your meat, don't put meat tools onto your raw foods, use ordinary cleaning methods, clean with cloths that are hung up to dry so bacteria can't grow, and you'll be fine. Too much effort to de-germ everything exposes us to unnecessary toxins and actually makes us unhealthy, not to mention creating superbugs. Infections are a numbers game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,190,933 times
I'm surprised a lot of you say that granite is not standard in new expensive homes in your area. Isn't granite basically a $3-5k upgrade? I would assume builders would add that to a home that costs 400-500k.
Maybe it's a regional preference, but here in Atlanta, even $225k townhouses have granite.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM

49,976 posts, read 63,287,500 times
I think what they mean is NO FORMICA. Sorry if you're a Formica salesman, but it's so over.
In my opinion, no tiled countertops either. To me it just looks like you're too cheap or lazy to replace the counter with something correct. Grout=bad.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,827 times
In response to all the comments about the merits of granite-

Has anyone taken into account that granite is really a very poor choice from a sustainable standpoint? I would be interested to know just how long the average American keeps their granite counters for... and what happens to all these discarded counters? If you are interested in a look similar to granite, try looking at some of the more environmentally friendly solid surfacing options, or God forbid... laminate! I'm thinking of one in particular which incorporates recycled glass...

If you look at the companies which advertise on HGTV, you quickly realize that it is in their best interests to push this exaggerated sense of luxury which encourages Americans to keep up with whatever is being pushed as the new "norm" in the realestate market...

Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I'm surprised a lot of you say that granite is not standard in new expensive homes in your area. Isn't granite basically a $3-5k upgrade? I would assume builders would add that to a home that costs 400-500k.
Maybe it's a regional preference, but here in Atlanta, even $225k townhouses have granite.
Granite has been the standard in every home we've ever purchased. I just learned something about granite the other day that I didn't know. We are having a custom built-in barbecue put in our backyard and we were picking out the granite for the top of it. I really had no idea there were different "grades" of granite. I saw the granite we currently have in our kitchen and asked the guy about it. "What's the quality or grade of this granite?" It appears the granite the builder put in our home is the lowest grade granite and the cheapest. It's not bad, it looks nice, but it's not my favorite. If I had a choice in the selection (this is a house that fell out of escrow and the former would-be buyers already selected the granite), I would not have chosen the granite that is in my kitchen. So, we'll live with it for a few years and then replace it with something I like better. It seems a shame to rip it out now when it is brand new.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,595,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
In the Triangle listings 200k-330k all I see is WHITE laminite builder's grade. UGH! About 5-10% of the listings probably have granite. I like Silestone. Some of the homes I have looked at are 10-20 years and I'm surprised to see the builder's countertops and all those builders brass lighting fixtures. Im surprised to see that some more custom updates weren't made. Even if it's another color of laminate. The high-def laminate is a lot better than white! It's come a long way.

~~ Yep Silestone all the way. You can lay anything on it and will not damage it. I choose it b/c I hear about the nighmare about granite that its mineral base and it has to be sealed and maintained like a baby.

If you watch HGTV soon you to will think your home is going to be worth 1.5Million b/c of the upgraded kitchen and decluttering your home and painting your walls

Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,595,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj8900 View Post
In response to all the comments about the merits of granite-

Has anyone taken into account that granite is really a very poor choice from a sustainable standpoint? I would be interested to know just how long the average American keeps their granite counters for... and what happens to all these discarded counters? If you are interested in a look similar to granite, try looking at some of the more environmentally friendly solid surfacing options, or God forbid... laminate! I'm thinking of one in particular which incorporates recycled glass...

If you look at the companies which advertise on HGTV, you quickly realize that it is in their best interests to push this exaggerated sense of luxury which encourages Americans to keep up with whatever is being pushed as the new "norm" in the realestate market...
............... and your home still will not be worth 1.5million after you keep up with the HGTV trend. I do like the ideas they have on HGTV and enjoy watching House Hunters and Way over your head. All the ideas and DIY projects. I notice on big trend is dedicated home theaters and you don't see those in these houses they show. Around here, homes seem to want home theater rooms!!

Those goobers!!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 13,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Granite has been the standard in every home we've ever purchased. I just learned something about granite the other day that I didn't know. We are having a custom built-in barbecue put in our backyard and we were picking out the granite for the top of it. I really had no idea there were different "grades" of granite. I saw the granite we currently have in our kitchen and asked the guy about it. "What's the quality or grade of this granite?" It appears the granite the builder put in our home is the lowest grade granite and the cheapest. It's not bad, it looks nice, but it's not my favorite. If I had a choice in the selection (this is a house that fell out of escrow and the former would-be buyers already selected the granite), I would not have chosen the granite that is in my kitchen. So, we'll live with it for a few years and then replace it with something I like better. It seems a shame to rip it out now when it is brand new.
Wow, this is exactly the kind of wasteful and materialistic behavior that networks like HGTV are encouraging...

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj8900 View Post
Wow, this is exactly the kind of wasteful and materialistic behavior that networks like HGTV are encouraging...
Well,I don't watch HGTV and ... it IS my money!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,287,854 times
I would think that you could resell the countertops if you replaced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
~~ Yep Silestone all the way. You can lay anything on it and will not damage it. I choose it b/c I hear about the nighmare about granite that its mineral base and it has to be sealed and maintained like a baby.
This is a myth. It doesn't have to be "maintained like a baby." I use a spray cleaner on mine, the same as I would for other countertop material. Sealing has to be done once a year, and it's not a difficult or time-consuming effort.

When we built our house, I was planning to get Silestone. However, our builder was able to get us such a good deal on granite, we couldn't pass it up. I love my granite. Since we have an open floor plan (kitchen, living and dining occupying one large space), the granite is the centerpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House