Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,123 times

Advertisements

all I hear is I want granite counter tops these days, did you know you have to treet them once a year at least, did you know if you spill olive oil on them they stain, did you know if they are not supported properly they will crack. solid surface tops are my favorite, if you scratch them you sand and buff them out to look like before, you can get stainess or solid surface sinks fused right into the top, nice edges that you can't get in granite- 2 color and special router edges, and it's not pourous so you don't treet it.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-15-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times
I've spilled olive oil on mine - it didn't stain. This "treatment" is applying a sealer - basically rubbing it in. No big deal. Granite is extremely hard and durable - after all, they use it to build entire buildings.

Nice way to get some spam in, BTW.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,319 times
Personally I think granite is popular due to the fact of how well it's been marketed. It's like diamonds. Some brilliant gemologist or whoever, figured out a way to market a rock in a way we would all want it. Well it's the same for granite IMO, because it's certainly not the best product out there.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Well it's the same for granite IMO, because it's certainly not the best product out there.
What's better?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:30 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Whenever I watch HGTV, people always comment negatively if a kitchen doesn't have granite. No matter what the price point of the home, 'granite' seems to be all that matters.

Is this and HGTV thing, or does granite really matter that much? If you're selling a home do you 'have' to have granite to get a good price?
I think it is an HGTV thing. Their shows seem to promote products that often appear in the commercials between their shows. I think there is some interaction with their sponsors.

There are many different types of counter surfaces, and a lot depends on: personal aesthetics, personal habits, functionality, budget, and the value of your house.

For example, if you have a large kitchen with multiple turns and try to use granite, you may have seams. Some people will instead opt for Corian or something similar. Granite might be overkill and actually appear 'excessive' in a smaller less expensive home. There are some very nice textured laminate products now (that do not look like your parent's old formica countertop!) which might work better in some types of homes. Some higher end surfaces scratch. If you have children who may end up cutting things and not use a cutting board, you might not want those surfaces. Some people tile their countertops. Depending on how the rest of the kitchen looks, this might make the kitchen look warmer. On the other hand, with all the grout lines, it could be a lot harder to clean--and if you already have tile on the floor, it could look distracting. Some people prefer metal countertops. This might work well in an urban loft but be totally out of place in a 'country cottage' style house. And recently, I saw a book on how to make textured cement countertops.

I would suggest going with what looks good and not a 'fad' that everyone must have. When you buy the thing that everyone must have, you instantly become a follower' who is then having to 'keep up' with something that has been created primarily by forces of marketing. I think more people should try to become comfortable with exploring their own aesthetic tastes, instead of buying a look out of a box.

I know that there is a balance between making your home easily sellable... but sometimes I think that's all some people think about when they live in their homes. When you live in a home that way, it seems like you're living in a home that is never totally yours because your design choices are constantly being influenced by the people who you think will buy it some day.

On the other hand, I suppose that if you are in a situation where you have to move frequently between houses (like every few years), then it probably makes sense to just put in some generic looking design elements that will hold a basic appeal for the broadest common denominator. Just my two cents...

Old 10-16-2007, 04:32 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times
Very nice post, dgz.

Granite was a personal choice for us.

I like the look, the durability, the coolness (which comes in handy when baking) and the ease of care. Resale was not an issue, because we built this house to live in - not to turn around and sell it. Our dream is to stay here until we die.

If I were one to follow every fad that's out there, I would have stainless steel appliances, a big jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, and every room would be decorated in turquoise and brown. Instead, I have black appliances, a big walk-in shower with no tub at all in the master bath, and just about every color BUT turquoise and brown.

Not everyone is a sheep. We have granite because we like it - not because everyone else has it.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I think it is an HGTV thing. Their shows seem to promote products that often appear in the commercials between their shows. I think there is some interaction with their sponsors.
Maybe that's what made granite *more* popular, but in 1995, when we bought our first granite counter-top, HGTV probably existed, but I don't think they were pushing granite yet.
We just liked it.
I've never had an olive oil problem, even if there was some spilled and left overnight. And I am beginning to think that whole "sealing" propaganda is a huge non-event pushed by people who want to sell other materials (and/or feed off granite owners).
Quote:
There are many different types of counter surfaces, and a lot depends on: personal aesthetics, personal habits, functionality, budget, and the value of your house.
I think more people should try to become comfortable with exploring their own aesthetic tastes, instead of buying a look out of a box.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, my husband does not always appreciate my funky taste.
Quote:
I know that there is a balance between making your home easily sellable... but sometimes I think that's all some people think about when they live in their homes. When you live in a home that way, it seems like you're living in a home that is never totally yours because your design choices are constantly being influenced by the people who you think will buy it some day.

On the other hand, I suppose that if you are in a situation where you have to move frequently between houses (like every few years), then it probably makes sense to just put in some generic looking design elements that will hold a basic appeal for the broadest common denominator. Just my two cents...
I agree with this, too. You have to please yourself--you are living with your choices.
I do think granite can be overkill in the wrong surroundings.
I have explored a lot of other materials, including concrete, silestone and recycled glass.
I came back to granite for looks, practicality and durability, but this does not mean that I do not appreciate the alternatives.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Does anyone know of any 'green', eco-friendly counter options besides the recycled glass ones I looked at today?
check this: The Kitchen Designer - Journal - Green Kitchen Countertops

Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,742 times
Quote:
Personally I think granite is popular due to the fact of how well it's been marketed. It's like diamonds. Some brilliant gemologist or whoever, figured out a way to market a rock in a way we would all want it. Well it's the same for granite IMO, because it's certainly not the best product out there.
I can definitely agree with that. When I was house shopping, I've seen homes where the owner installed granite countertops but the rest of the kitchen looked like complete crap, LOL! And they really thought they were going to get more money because of the granite. HGTV strikes again! However, I do think granite is absolutely beautiful in the right house even though I am in love with soapstone.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Personally I think granite is popular due to the fact of how well it's been marketed. It's like diamonds. Some brilliant gemologist or whoever, figured out a way to market a rock in a way we would all want it.
What marketing? The diamond industry is controlled by the De Beers cartel and marketed on billboards, TV, etc. Granite on the other hand is controlled by no one. There are tons of granite quarries around the world and anybody can get into the various businesses of cutting, polishing, shipping, distributing and installing it. Granite is not a product any more than wood is. It's a material. A commodity. I personally have seen precious little in the way of advertising by granite suppliers or installers. You pretty much have to go out of your way to find it. People in this thread seem to think that there's some nefarious promotion of granite by HGTV. Honest question: Have you seen any advertisements for granite on HGTV? I don't watch TV, so I don't know. Since nobody controls granite, I would wonder who would pay for it.

Now your Corians and Silestones are different matters. They're are single-sourced by huge corporations who control the product from start to finish and set the prices, and produce the shiny brochures, TV ads, and other marketing gimmicks that you pay for when you buy the stuff. That's why they're more expensive than granite. You can't even buy these products unless you're in the network. Try buying Corian. They only sell it through their dealers, and it's installed only by contractors they control. Now that is a cartel. Contrast that to a granite yard where anybody can walk in and they'll happily show you around and sell you slabs of granite that you select. Then you get to pick the installer of your choice. That's free enterprise, with no funny business. And another good reason to stick with natural stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House