Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,216,536 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I am amazed that no one has purchased it yet and turned into a B&B. The home was actually made into apartments back in the 1980s, which was the last time it had been lived in, but since then it was all reopened up to be like a one-family home again. I cant imagine how much it would take to heat this home. Its really huge, even larger than these pics depict. It goes well out in the back as well. Obviously back when it was new, it took alot of fireplaces to keep it warm, it has several fireplaces. lol.

I have always thought it was interesting the way that the main entry is on the corner of the home there. When you first go in, you are greeted by a huge spiraling staircase there in the main foyer, then that other stair case you see pictured there that goes straight up is in the very center of the home. The woodwork on the strairs is original and beautiful.

I am hoping someone will soon buy it and restore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I lived in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, when I was in high school, and I always loved all the huge houses around that town. They look a lot like the one you posted (which is gorgeous BTW). Almost all had been converted to apartments or in some cases mortuaries! I would think that would be the only way to afford them, to buy them, make an apartment, rent it out, then use that rental money to make a second apartment, rent that one out, etc.! Of course I would make a 5-bedroom apartment just for myself in the quietest location inside!

And I love that photo from 1905 with the kids on the front porch! Love looking at old photos like that, wondering what times were like back then!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
And I love that photo from 1905 with the kids on the front porch! Love looking at old photos like that, wondering what times were like back then!
Yeah me too. I think that was the original owners children. There is much history in this city and on the man that owned this house. I think he has some connection to the historic log home that we live in, but I havent researched it much. My dad knows more about it, I will ask him. We are also very good friends with our local historian that knows so many details about our city. Next time I see him I am going to ask more about the home. I dont think any of my family was here in 1905, but many came to the area very shortly after or some even probably around that time when they were very young (my great great and great grandparents).

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,711 times
Been there, done that. Makes an estimate of how long you think it will take, and then multiply it by 2 or 3...
But we found it rewarding, though a lot of work. Roof cost a fortune (flat rubber-membrane roof), and the heating system needed to be replaced, and the kitchen redone, but if you are handy you can do 90% of it yourself (and that cuts the cost a lot). At least they replaced all the K&T wiring with Romex... though I think there should be a special place in h*ll for people who paint mahogany and chestnut doors with white paint. Lead paint, yeah. Lead piping, yeah. Stuff that doesn't meet code, yeah... probably no insulation, yeah...but you can't recreate the old-style houses with modern construction today without spending an absolute fortune, and they don't build them like they used to do. You'll find 'surprises' in the walls, and not just anyone can work on horsehair/plaster/lath, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
If you live there, you can work on it at your own pace. One room at a time. If most of the stuff is intact, that is a huge bonus. (hint: curtains for 9-foot windows all have to be custom-made).

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Just so's you know.... you can't get tax credits unless the house is a commercial property - i.e. rental.

I think your dad could buy it and rent to you, but ask an accountant to find out for sure.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
I can only see two pictures on this page and when I click on the link I get this lovely message:

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 11/30/2012 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I can only see two pictures on this page and when I click on the link I get this lovely message:

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 11/30/2012 and is pending renewal or deletion.
Must be something wrong with your system. All of the pics show up on my page and the link works fine.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
I'm not getting all the pictures...

But 200K?! My little bungalow (in Utah) cost more than that! I don't think I could stand living East of the Rockies but old house lovers in the Heartland must be in paradise considering there are so many amazing old homes for sale for so cheap!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah me too. I think that was the original owners children. There is much history in this city and on the man that owned this house. I think he has some connection to the historic log home that we live in, but I havent researched it much. My dad knows more about it, I will ask him. We are also very good friends with our local historian that knows so many details about our city. Next time I see him I am going to ask more about the home. I dont think any of my family was here in 1905, but many came to the area very shortly after or some even probably around that time when they were very young (my great great and great grandparents).
The King family (lineage) for the most part started Bristol, TN.
(Curious, is the house on TN side or VA side?)

There is a book about the King family starting with Col. King and the Revolutionary War to the early part of the 20th century. I don't recall the actual title; And the author was "Bud"(?) Phillips. I have read parts of the book- from doing geneology research- mother's maiden name was King.

Col. King was basically a land baron that "brought" two railroad lines to a point (Bristol); and Bistol's original industry was a steel factory started by the Col. And/or one of his sons- if I remember correctly. Needless to say, but the King family could easily afford houses of this stature.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times
Wow! That is an incredible house for that price. If it were around here, it would be at least $1.5 - 2 million. Somebody is going to get an amazing deal. Why don't you buy it and get a roommate. You could each have 8 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House