Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 AM

253 posts, read 655,036 times

Advertisements

Just got my basement waterproofed and had asbestos tile and mastic abatement done. Now have an issue the asbestos company never encountered before. During the mastic removal, the crew got the mastic remover on or under the boiler. It was not noticed until it started smoking. It was turned off until they realized it was the liquid the used to remove the mastic. When the work was completed they had me turn the boiler back on and everything was working fine. However that evening, the smell of the smoke was strong. I slept with my window ajar. Spoke with the owner next day and he said that I'll just have to wait till it is all burned off and they can install window fans in the meantime to air the basement.

So at this point, is the airing good enough or is there a way to clean it from the boiler? How toxic is this smoke? The cement needs to cure for at least 4-6 weeks.. can the windows be open during this process? I have to open my windows every morning to air out my kitchen since the fumes travel up from basement through the basement/kitchen entry.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Find out the brand of mastic remover and look for the MSDS sheet. That should have all the info you'll need.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
I would be more worried about the flammability of the product being used right under a boiler. Look at the MSDS and take the necessary precautions.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM

253 posts, read 655,036 times
From what I understand, this firm uses green products, so I'm assuming it is one of the soy-based products. He came by today to scrub it off the boiler and said that there was definitely some of the solution on the boiler. UNFORTUNATELY, my boiler decided to fail today and we were not able to test it with the boiler on. I've gotten it serviced later today and now that the boiler is working again, I still smell it, but it is nowhere as bad as it was previously.

I've had the basement windows open. Will this type of product evaporate/dissipate over time or is it one of those that will adhere to things and remain indefinitely? I am asking because every time I use my stove, I smell it burning. It is most weird. My kitchen is on the 1st floor, and some of the smoke smell did enter the kitchen because my fridge access panel is open to the basement stairs.

I *can* ask the guy to come back again to clean, but other than scrubbing more, and offering to put a fan in the room, I'm not sure what else he can offer?

Sorry for all the questions. It is just disturbing to me that I can smell it on my stove burner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House