Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 03:37 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times

Advertisements

Absorption chillers are more a larger scale commercial cooling system. I think some companies may make natgas fueled units small enough to be used for SF houses.

Given the glut of natgas, they might be able to run much cheaper then electrically powered compressor units. They might also have another advantage in areas subject blackouts. Even when electricity goes down, the natgas stays flowing. If you want to run your household AC off of a natgas generator, you need a BIG genset. But with an absorption chiller, while some electricity is needed, most of the power comes from the natgas. So you can have a smaller generator and still run your AC.

Anyone use this type of setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I doubt the costly / complex technology is going to migrate to single family or even modest multi-family developments. There have been a handful of extremely forward looking folks that have put combined power / cooling systems into their fast food places where massive energy needs might make on-site generation competitive with grid supplies, but that is rare -- Gas Airconditioning and Cooling Equipment Home Page

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
They're complex. They're more efficient if it's augmented by the exhaust of natural gas heat like water heaters or gas dryer. My hospital still has one but we're fighting to get approval to remove this unit.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 AM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
My take is that as a fuel, natgas is cheaper than electricity. So even if the device is more expensive, that cost would be made up, and eventually surpassed by the savings over time. The other plus being that the natgas supply seems more resilient than electricity.

However, I've now seen analyses that show that the savings aren't really there, and that it would be more expensive to run than a electric compressor driven AC.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Actually, the first home central AC units were absorption units - I lived with one of these when a boy. Both the inside and outside units are much much bigger, and many times more complex, than the vapor-compression units that replaced them in the market. I also expect the absorption system is far more expensive.

There's a darn good reason why the relatively few small scale absorption units were completely replaced by vapor-compression.

Same thing for refrigerators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House