Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,114 times

Advertisements

We live in south Florida. Home was built in 1978. The laundry room is inside the home and the a/c air handler is inside the laundry room. The garage is directly behind the laundry room.

For years I have wanted to move the air handler inside the garage to free up space in the laundry room. I have called "professionals" who say it can not be done, it's against code, it will cost $5,000, too much condensation will build up and create issues, etc.

I have no problem getting a permit, etc. The garage has an a/c which is on 24/7. The distance is no more than 3 feet - just the other side of the wall separating the laundry room and garage. Duct has to be moved.

So, has anyone here had this done? What are the pros/cons? What would be the real cost for something like this? I appreciate your advice and thoughts.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM

23,525 posts, read 69,933,850 times
I'm mildly surprised they said it was against code. Putting the AH in the garage was common in that era. Our house in Florida was built like that. The garage was never used for cars, so CO wasn't an issue. With nanny state laws, that may be why it is no longer allowed.

The downsides - there was condensation which created some rust. Mold was a bit more of an issue.

If it is in fact against code, I urge you to rethink. If you go to sell the place, it is likely you will get dinged. Insurance may use the fault to deny claims or raise rates. You COULD have a closet built in the garage that had the required firewalls and only opened into the living space, but it would need approval.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,191,713 times
There are a couple things that can make it against code, however, for the most part, it is NOT against code to have an air handler in a garage.
The burner has to be at least 18" from the floor. Not usually a problem for air handler, more of an issue with water heaters.
The ducts must be hard metal inside the garage.
I would encourage you to call the local building department and ask them if they have any problems with relocating your air handler to the garage, and if they have any special requirements.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,777,347 times
Air handlers in garages are common here. Unless it's a code violation for your local inspection entity, it shouldn't be an issue....but. It will most likely be a requirement to build a small equipment room around it with a door that is sealed off from the garage, meaning it must be weatherstripped and air tight to the garage. If it uses gas or any combustible for the heat side, you'll have to get a combustible air tube run to the room. We get ours from a roof jack above the unit. You might also ask the installer about running a fresh air duct to the return plenum. It creates a positive pressure in the home and the home will be much drier inside. It also can eliminate stale odors. As long as the unit has at least a 10% reserve on the sizing, use the fresh air duct. We don't have the issue with using any metal ductwork here so it may be different in Tennennesse or Florida but because it's not actually in the garage, it shouldn't matter. All of the ductwork here is fiberglas including hard glas for the manifolds.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,114 times
My thanks to all three responses. The air handlers that i see in garages here tend to be in the open sitting on a pedestal of sorts. We run electricity here - very little gas so that makes things a bit easier. I will call our building department in the morning to see how to best proceed.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,191,713 times
If its electric, then even less reasons why it shouldn't be in the garage.
If they install an air handler in a garage and its where a car can hit it, they require a post to protect it.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,285,156 times
I live in south florida also and have the air handler in the garage. It's actually on the opposite side of the wall from my laundry room, so I know what you mean about free space. It is in a closet only accessible from the inside of the garage. It sits on an enclosed platform about 3 feet off the ground. The supply comes straight from the house and is all sealed up - air from the garage doesn't get in. My entire community of almost 500 homes were built that way by the builder, so I doubt it is against code.

I don't think there is any disadvantage except that a large supply vent will be close to your laundry room. For me it goes behind the laundry room underneath the stairs to my second floor. I would have prefered to use the space under stairs for storage.

I did once ask this forum about the fresh air duct TrapperL mentioned. The air does seem to get stale in the summers when the AC is running constantly.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,166,920 times
Well, think about why it might be recommended NOT to put an HVAC air handler in the garage.

1) Protect the conditioned space from fumes, CO, etc that may be present in the garage. The air return side of the air handler is below atmospheric pressure thus if there is any leak, the air around it can be drawn into the air supply for the living area.

2) Fire prevention. Any spark or flame in a garage area could ignite vapors that can be present in a garage (gasoline, solvents, etc.) The chance of this happening with an all-electric unit is much smaller but if there are hot elements (as opposed to heat pump coils) the chance is still not zero.

Personally, I wouldn't put any element of my HVAC system in a garage. If I wanted to cool/heat my garage, I'd have a completely separate system from the rest of the house. Poisoning myself with fumes or having a big explosion are two things I am willing to take some trouble to avoid.

Now if you build an entire separate room "in" the garage, sealed, with combustion air (if applicable) provided from outside, and all HVAC ducts in the new room, and a fire door between it and the remainder of the garage, then I think you would say the HVAC is not, in fact, in the garage, but rather in a properly built room of its own - in other words, it's still in the "living space". From what I remember about the house we had built some years ago, there is also a minimum spec on the drywall of any room or wall separating the garage from living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House