Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times

Advertisements

Just hoping it doesn't mean that the hut tub motor burnt out, won't know until I can plug it in again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
A poor electrical connection can create heat. And the amperage draw from that poor connection can be lower than the amperage of a breaker. For example a space heater can create a LOT of heat, yet is still drawing less than the amperage of a breaker.

Same with a poor electrical connection.

A poor electrical connection can be a loose wire inside a plug... Say a loose wire inside a plug on an extension cord - you plug in the extension cord, one prong of that cord gets *very* hot and also damages the outlet.

Or an undersized extension cord (wire gauge) can do the same thing.

Or an old worn outlet may not make good contact with the prong of a plug.

Or the wires connecting inside to the electrical outlet can have a loose or poor connection.

Etc.

A breaker trips if too much amperage is used. A GFCI trips if there is a "fault to ground" like if someone was being shocked.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Though oddly the screw opposite the black wire, one that has no wire attached, was a bit sooty, though in this environment it could be mildew. That screwed seemed to be touching the edge of the box though, could that have been an issue?
The box is (should be) at ground potential. The screw on the socket quite likely was "hot"... most sockets have two screws for connecting hot (black) leads and two screws for connecting the neutral wires (white). The two hot screws are connected together in the socket. So despite it not having a wire attached to it, that screw was probably hot.

A little bit of misalignment putting the outlet into the box, a little bit of moisture to bridge the gap, even an insect touching both the screw and the box, and... you get an arc. Not enough to trip the breaker, but enough to melt the insulation, blacken the socket, etc.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A poor electrical connection can create heat. And the amperage draw from that poor connection can be lower than the amperage of a breaker. For example a space heater can create a LOT of heat, yet is still drawing less than the amperage of a breaker.

Same with a poor electrical connection.

A poor electrical connection can be a loose wire inside a plug... Say a loose wire inside a plug on an extension cord - you plug in the extension cord, one prong of that cord gets *very* hot and also damages the outlet.

Or an undersized extension cord (wire gauge) can do the same thing.

Or an old worn outlet may not make good contact with the prong of a plug.

Or the wires connecting inside to the electrical outlet can have a loose or poor connection.

Etc.

A breaker trips if too much amperage is used. A GFCI trips if there is a "fault to ground" like if someone was being shocked.
This is my guess and one I've run into a few times... most of the time it was with the push-in style backwired outlets... the connection was ok for light loads and not so good for portable electric heaters... a much higher load near circuit capacity.

Also ran into a problem with sticking breakers before... a very old house.

My electircal guru and even the chief electrical inspector told me it is a good idea to cycle breakers... turn them off and on to ensure they operate freely and smoothly.

Sometime, over times... I've noticed electrical draw increases.

Clean and tight connections made with proper sized copper wire and quality outlets and you should be good to go...

Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
just a guess, you dont have an old federal panel do you?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Just to add a bit to the confusion here, it may help to point out how a GFCI plug works. It's really a very simple device--it senses the current going to the appliance through the hot (black) wire, and the current coming back from the appliance to the outlet via the neutral (white) wire. If the GFCI senses an imbalance, it trips. That's the only thing that will cause it to trip.

Can't tell exactly what was going on from the information provided by the OP, but it sounds like the problem was caused by something other than the spa--maybe a circuit overload or a faulty outlet as others have mentioned. IOW, the spa was working correctly as the current flowing to it was the same as the current being returned through the neutral wire. That would explain why the GFCI plug didn't trip--it's not designed to detect problems in the outlet.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I think snorpus nailed it. The socket was a bit crooked in the box and the screw was touching the side. There may also have been a bit of bug parts and cobweb in there when i pulled it out but i wasnt really looking for it. I replaced the socket, very carefully, and the cord end, and yay! The hot tub works and so do the christmas lights.

Its an old square d panel, to the person who asked above.

Thanks everyone for your insight in to this issue, first time i ran across it.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Always good to get the follow-up

Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just a guess, you dont have an old federal panel do you?
Impossible! They all caught fire years ago...
Can't recall the code, but spas should be hard wired to a disconnect, with appropriate gauge all the way back to the panel. This doesn't sound like that...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
not all. they live on today .. they are sooooo expensive when you need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House