Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM

31 posts, read 43,089 times

Advertisements

One more thing I didn't even think to mention yesterday. The window is slightly left of center on the wall, so the bed is going to almost be pushed into a corner, so the window is not blocked. Radiators would be both on one side of the bed and at the head of the bed. Whoever is sleeping on the side of the wall close to the wall, is going to have a very tight squeeze for getting into and out of bed. It does not make sense to crawl over the other person or slide down to the foot of the bed. To me, this would make it a little extra uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
OMG, when you gotta come to a public forum to settle your differences over furniture placement, then you've got much bigger problems!!!!

Have you tried Dr. Phil yet...?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
OMG, when you gotta come to a public forum to settle your differences over furniture placement, then you've got much bigger problems!!!!

Have you tried Dr. Phil yet...?
Is this not a forum to discuss things in the house?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsed1 View Post
One more thing I didn't even think to mention yesterday. The window is slightly left of center on the wall, so the bed is going to almost be pushed into a corner, so the window is not blocked. Radiators would be both on one side of the bed and at the head of the bed. Whoever is sleeping on the side of the wall close to the wall, is going to have a very tight squeeze for getting into and out of bed. It does not make sense to crawl over the other person or slide down to the foot of the bed. To me, this would make it a little extra uncomfortable.
Maybe letting her figure this out will solve the problem. Some things you just gotta let go. I shut the door to my wife's Corvette using the edge of the glass. She gets finger prints all over. Same thing in the kitchen with the stainless doors. Instead of using the handles there's finger prints all over the doors.

I just figure I'm too picky, and there's probably things I do she doesn't like either. It's called sacrifice, or maybe better or worse?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
It's just furniture placement. Try it out for a few weeks and see if either one of you change your mind.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM

67 posts, read 188,030 times
Quote:
Place the bed as your wife-to-be wants. Then give her the side of the bed that's closest to the wall & radiator, and also let her be the one who changes the sheets. She'll probably want to move the bed to another location in no time.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMamie View Post
Place the bed as your wife-to-be wants. Then give her the side of the bed that's closest to the wall & radiator, and also let her be the one who changes the sheets. She'll probably want to move the bed to another location in no time.

Good point

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
...in addition to new bedroom furniture, she wants
the bedroom walls painted,
new toilet-
vanity-floor for one of the bathrooms, just finished having the upstairs bathroom done for 9k,
new dining room set,
new stove top (which is pretty important),
new fridge (current one works fine),
new washer and dryer (ditto)...
BTW - Do not give her a credit card! Tell her you always pay cash for everything. Give her cash each month or week and when that is gone, that is it.

If she wants something which costs more than the cash you give her, suggest she save the cash until she has enough to buy it.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
... by your rational, you are implying I am just supposed to forget about having an opinion on all things and let her make all the decisions because she is moving into a house I live in? What happened to 50-50?
This started out being so not 50-50 in that she is moving into your ancestral home. Furthermore, your statements such as, "In this case, it is my money, as she is able to do nothing financially (I am paying for all house projects as well as the wedding and I am not wealthy), but if I talk about that in any way, it gets me labeled as being selfish and having the wrong concerns," illustrate further that you are less interested in compromise than in getting the upper hand. People often times get "labels" that they've earned.

As for the feng shui, the primary principle of bed placement is that you should be able to see the door, but be as far away from it as possible and not directly opposite it. For actual layouts, look up "feng shui bed placement in bedroom" under Google IMAGES.

Feng Shui Bed Placement - Feng Shui Tips for Your Bed Placement

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Your house, your money, your rules. What exactly is she bringing to the table? Like you said she wants to change your house, spend your money, and go against your current rules for how you see things. I bet that plenty of other womes would be happy to take her place and stick with your wishes.

Before you make a change in your life and since you seem to hold most of the cards in the deck, time to fill her in on the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House