Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john william moll View Post
i had a semialar expiernece when we went to a shoe repair shop never get them made at like heel quik or hakky shoe repair or even hardware stores we take all of our business now to home depot you did get overcharged you should not pay 14 dollars for two keys you should pay a dollar a key I would go to home depot because they treat you with respect hope this helps heel quik did not even refund our money when the key did not work they said too bad so sad is what they were saying i cant speak for lowes or hakky but anywhere should not treat with disrescepct I think you should go to gracious home in new york they have the largest key selection in the usa they say so that should help but 14 to 15 dollars is what they will pay you to cut them everything there is to exepesnive i would not recomed anywhere expect home depot or lowes but if not go to wal-mart or locksmith but i hope this helps
Whoah, John, you want to take another shot at that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 01:13 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I usually get spare keys made at Lowes.
This is cheap and super-convenient, especially in stores that have the new "do it yourself" machine.

However, I have had a large number of copies keys from Lowes and other hardware stores that simply do not work. It's often difficult to even get the new key into the keyhole. I am guessing this is due to the fact that these stores use knock-off OEM blanks. A employee at these stores who received a few minutes of training on the key machine (and who is using key blanks made by the world's lowest bidder) cannot be compared to a licensed locksmith who has been cutting keys for years. I, for one, am willing to pay a locksmith a few extra bucks per key to make sure the job is done right.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 10,835 times
I had the same problem at Home Depot. I went twice with my Sclage key for a replacement key and they both wouldn't open my door. I went to a local locksmith 8 1/2 Van Dyke and paid $1.86 and the replacement key works great. At Home Depot they use the automatic key machine rather than the old method of cutting keys like at the locksmith.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Quoted from the OP : "The dollar sure doesn't go far these days." , no but it sure gets there faster !

Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
OUr doors lock with skeleton keys. I hate to think what it woudl cost to get one made.

One of my rentals had these Schlage keys that were really weird. Flat key double sided cut and the center had a raised c spine from tip to end. The key guy said this key was made in the 50s. I doubt I'll be able to get it. I ended up having to change the lock.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
Ultrarunner,

You know kwikset makes a lock a homeowner can key themselves now. Still would need to buy copies of the keys.
I have that lock. Twice now something inside has slipped in the key mechanism, and when it happens our keys won't open the door.

Nothing like coming home and finding out you're locked out of your own house..

Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
This is cheap and super-convenient, especially in stores that have the new "do it yourself" machine.

However, I have had a large number of copies keys from Lowes and other hardware stores that simply do not work. It's often difficult to even get the new key into the keyhole. I am guessing this is due to the fact that these stores use knock-off OEM blanks. A employee at these stores who received a few minutes of training on the key machine (and who is using key blanks made by the world's lowest bidder) cannot be compared to a licensed locksmith who has been cutting keys for years. I, for one, am willing to pay a locksmith a few extra bucks per key to make sure the job is done right.

Actually, it's not the employee at all if they are using Hillman Axxess system, because the Axxess Precision Key Duplication System, Key Making Machines: Hillman Group is a plug-and-chug system. The employee does nothing except choose the correct key blank (and it's almost impossible to ever choose the wrong one for a Kwikset or a Schlage), and insert the correct cassette to cut that key (and the card on the key blank says exactly which cassette to use.) There is no cutting keys by hand afaik at Lowe's, WalMart, or Home Depot, and there is essentially nothing the employee can adjust or mess up once the 2 keys are fully inserted into the slots.

The problem lies in the cassettes, which most stores persist in using far too long after they should have been replaced. Most of the residential keys cut are Kwikset 66 in my locale, with far fewer Schlage / Yale / other /oldies. Write a complaint letter to the department manager, tell them you got keys that look right but don't work, and particularly if your problems are a KW1 66 key blanks, feel confident in telling the store that they need to replace the cassette that cuts that key blank. It ain't rocket science.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I have that lock. Twice now something inside has slipped in the key mechanism, and when it happens our keys won't open the door.

Nothing like coming home and finding out you're locked out of your own house..
Return it to wherever you bought it. It's pretty rare to have that happen, so just return it jammed-up so that they believe you, and the store should give you a new one.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
I worked at HD years ago and operated one of those Axxess machines, very simple. I also was able to run every other station in the store and all the forks. You have to be trained on each one and certified but it was worth it. Especially when you want to be able to pick your shifts because they like to have at least one person who can operate these things all the time. So it was kinda fun.

I even made a copy of my wifes Keep Liberty key. It was to open the door only since to start it you need the chip.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Actually, it's not the employee at all if they are using Hillman Axxess system, because the Axxess Precision Key Duplication System, Key Making Machines: Hillman Group is a plug-and-chug system. The employee does nothing except choose the correct key blank (and it's almost impossible to ever choose the wrong one for a Kwikset or a Schlage), and insert the correct cassette to cut that key (and the card on the key blank says exactly which cassette to use.) There is no cutting keys by hand afaik at Lowe's, WalMart, or Home Depot, and there is essentially nothing the employee can adjust or mess up once the 2 keys are fully inserted into the slots.

The problem lies in the cassettes, which most stores persist in using far too long after they should have been replaced. Most of the residential keys cut are Kwikset 66 in my locale, with far fewer Schlage / Yale / other /oldies. Write a complaint letter to the department manager, tell them you got keys that look right but don't work, and particularly if your problems are a KW1 66 key blanks, feel confident in telling the store that they need to replace the cassette that cuts that key blank. It ain't rocket science.
Interesting insight. Even if employee incompetence can be ruled out, I think the fact remains that the lack of dedication to replacing worn equipment gives a leg-up to professional locksmiths. Few, if any, locksmiths would delay replacing their equipment when needed. This is why I only use a locksmith to duplicate all of my keys. It's well worth the extra money they charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House