Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

I had a 24V Bio-Fighter Lightstick UV Lamp installed in my HVAC system two years ago. This post is not to question the effectiveness of UV lamps but to ask what happens when they burn out.

My area had extremely high winds Christmas Day...strong enough to topple trees and damage buildings. In the midst of the wind gusts, I heard what sounded exactly like a light bulb exploding in my bedroom. The popping noise was so loud that I almost thought someone had shot a gun through my house and hit a light bulb.

I was on the other side of the house at the time and went to the bedroom (and all other rooms) to check all the light bulbs. Everything was fine. I also checked the attic light switch (which is in the hallway) to ensure that the attic light hadnt burned out.

The HVAC unit is in the attic directly above my bedroom. The only other possibility is that the UV light burned out. Does anyone know if a UV light's burnout would make an extraordinarily loud popping noise (much louder than a normal light bulb's burning out)?

My balance isnt good enough for me to climb a ladder into the attic and check it myself. If I know that the UV light's burning out would cause such a loud noise, I'll just wait until the next HVAC checkup in the spring to have it replaced. Otherwise, I may have to hire a handyman to check out the attic and see what might have caused that exploding noise.

Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
If I heard a noise like you described, I would be checking it out (or have someone check it out). The UV lamp could have exploded and you could have an electrical issue. Ive never seen one explode, but anythjing is possible.
It also could have been a branch from a tree going into your roof. There are several things a loud noise could be, and many of them could be a problem.

I would not wait till spring to check things out.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks so much, Barking Spider. There are no trees in my yard and I did check the roof from outside. But I will have an HVAC guy go into the attic and check things out.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
This post is not to question the effectiveness of UV lamps

Just curious. What are your thoughts about effectiveness. I have the option to install one and have allergies/ asthma. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Just curious. What are your thoughts about effectiveness. I have the option to install one and have allergies/ asthma. Thanks!

There was another thread on this forum about their effectiveness. As I recall, the pros and cons were split about 50/50.

I really like mine. I had my entire HVAC system cleaned very thoroughly a few years ago but didnt see the improvement in my allergies/sinuses that I've seen with the UV lamp. The lamp and installation cost $300 but has lasted two years so the price is good for me, especially since I dont have to spend much $$$ on allergy/sinus meds.

Edited to add that I found the previous thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ral-air-2.html

Last edited by TFW46; 12-29-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
A logical explanation for this is that wind gusts cause air pressure changes. It is possible the attic suddenly had a lot of air pressure but the air pressure inside the A/C ducts was normal. And this caused the A/C duct to bend or deform - and that in turn caused the metal to bend into the long UV light tube and thus caused it to break!

If that is the case, then the new light should be mounted - not directly on the duct - but on a sturdy piece of metal (which will not deform), and then that mounted on the duct.

People who install things do not always take such possibilities into consideration!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 PM

How interesting. Would that happen even if the air ducts are the rigid sheet-metal kind? Thanks so much, Billy_J!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
How interesting. Would that happen even if the air ducts are the rigid sheet-metal kind? Thanks so much, Billy_J!
Basically you would hear this during wind storms - the ducts "banging" and so forth. This happens in some homes, does not happen in others.

More so with square shaped ducts. Ducts run in the attic or on the roof. And the attic has vent openings.

A similar thing happens with a plastic soda pop bottle you take on an airplane. It might be "squished in" when you get to where you are going because the air pressure is different.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
The UV light is the typical tube type fluorescent that is under a slight pressure. When these tubes break it explodes and sounds like a gun shot. This normally wouldn't be an issue but considering this is in your air stream and fluorescent tubes contain mercury you'll want to get this checked out ASAP.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Basically you would hear this during wind storms - the ducts "banging" and so forth. This happens in some homes, does not happen in others.

More so with square shaped ducts. Ducts run in the attic or on the roof. And the attic has vent openings.

A similar thing happens with a plastic soda pop bottle you take on an airplane. It might be "squished in" when you get to where you are going because the air pressure is different.

That must be what happened. I have the square, solid ducts. The wind storms that night were the worst ever in my area, with the exception of Hurricane Ike (which was before I had the UV lamp installed). And I recently had ridge vents put on the roof, which I'm sure increased the amount of air flow from the high winds.

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House