Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times

Advertisements

We've been working on a floor plan for our retirement dream home for years. Lots of living space, one very large master bedroom with an awesome master bath, big front porch with rockers and swings and huge screened back porch with an outdoor kitchen. The initial idea had been to put a second floor up there as well that could have five more bedrooms and three bathrooms added at a later time and then a third floor library with widows walk, but the more we talked about it the more we realized it's just us. And will always be just us and the dogs. We don't want the kids to move back home ever so more living space on a second floor is a bad idea since I can't say no when it comes to the grandkids. So we're now thinking just the library and a sleeping porch on the second floor and widows walk around the front and sides of it for room for a couple chairs and a small table.

Anyway.................... We're looking at property now. Will be in a VERY rural area of northeast KY. Thinking of 5 to 10 acres. We'd like to clear an acre in the center and fence that in and then just run woven wire farm fencing around the rest. We're putting in a driveway gate that's automated at the road and the driveway will snake through all the trees so that from the road you won't be able to see the house at all. Total privacy. The original look of the house was a farmhouse style but it's kind of morphed almost into a beachy look, which I know doesn't go at all with the area we'll be building in, but it actually does suit our personality much better.

I love the look of the driveway (attached) and am trying to think of something along those lines. I don't want to dump a fortune into a driveway, although I do know because it's a very long driveway it's not going to be cheap either. I want something with color - flowers and trees that change color in the fall, or pear trees with the white flowers in spring. I'd like to layer it so that there's always a nice look to it. Well, I guess except in winter when all the leaves fall off? Or maybe add in a layer of conifers in the back of it since they won't drop leaves and stay full in winter?

Anyway, I'm just looking for ideas. We've still got another year and a half to two years before we can even think of building, but I want to spend as much time as I can on it, so that when we do go to build there are no changes to any part of the plan, whether it be house or landscaping. Anyone have any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway for country home-driveway.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Maintenance will always be an issue-
Let's keep the maintenance too a minimum!

Plant (if you're going to plant) only native species- you certainly don't want Bradfords. Those trees are a total pain in the ass. Check for maturity size, and don't encroach into the canopy by more than 4' with the road material.

With the distance you're talking I can only recommend "Crusher Run"; mainly because it's easy to maintain and correct if it starts to get rutted. The clear distance, as I previously mentioned will keep roots from encroaching on the road bed.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maintenance will always be an issue-
Let's keep the maintenance too a minimum!

Plant (if you're going to plant) only native species- you certainly don't want Bradfords. Those trees are a total pain in the ass. Check for maturity size, and don't encroach into the canopy by more than 4' with the road material.

With the distance you're talking I can only recommend "Crusher Run"; mainly because it's easy to maintain and correct if it starts to get rutted. The clear distance, as I previously mentioned will keep roots from encroaching on the road bed.
Thanks for the info. Had never heard of crusher run. It looks to basically be just large gravel, is that correct? Does seem like maintenance of that would be pretty simple! Maybe that can be the majority of the driveway and then I can do stamped concrete or something as you come around the last curve and approach the house.

I'm a horrible gardener and was hoping I could go with some nice shade trees and fill in with bulbs since they seem to be low maintenance. We had gobs of the things here when we bought our house. So many that they'd taken over the sod in the yard and it took us a couple years to get them all up and move them to where we did want them. I wound up sending tons of huge boxes of them to friends and family all over the country. I'll have to start looking up trees that are native to the area.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
OP, I think the driveway photo you posted is beautiful! But honestly, my first thought when I say an extra-long driveway is, OMG I will have to plow that in the winter!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Mrs1885, I agree that you don't need extra bedrooms. As I age, I want to lessen my housework, not increase it. We are currently building our second (and last!!!) house, and I had "ease of cleaning" in mind when choosing my flooring, decor, bathrooms, etc...everything I chose.

We have a longer driveway at the house we have lived in here since 1980. We also have a longer driveway at our new house. Since my hubby has always had to plow our driveway, the transition will be easy. We have a plow truck and he uses a bulldozer for really heavy snowfalls. I believe? you get lots of snow in N. Ky? Just make sure your hubby realizes that he will have to do the same with a long driveway. Paying someone to plow you out every time you get a snowfall can get very expensive. We have a neighbor with an ATV with chains on the tires and a plow on the front. It works well for him, but his driveway isn't as long as ours. It gets very time consuming for him during heavy snowfalls. Snowblowers are out of the question unless they're hooked up to a tractor.

As for making the approach to your house attractive, why not plant native evergreens along the treeline and then plant maintenace free flowering shrubs in front? That's what I plan on doing with ours.
Bulbs are beautiful, but they only bloom for a short time and then die off. Another alternative to shrubs if you really want flowers is to plant a small variety of flowering perennials (come up every year like bulbs) that blossom at different times throughout the summer, along the edge, planted in the grass so you won't have to weed flower beds. Some perennial ground covers are beautiful and will spread rapidly to fill your lane with colour. Someone at a greenhouse who is knowledgable about perennials will make some good suggestions to keep your driveway colourful and blossoming all summer long, and into the fall.

Have fun! Enjoy your new house when it's built. I HOPE ours will be ready within a month. Can't wait! lol

Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks for the info. Had never heard of crusher run. It looks to basically be just large gravel, is that correct?
Kinda.
" Crushed stone may also be made from granite and other rocks. A special type of limestone crushed stone is dense grade aggregate, or DGA, also known as crusher run, or colloquially as "crush and run". This is a mixed grade of mostly small crushed stone in a matrix of crushed limestone powder."

Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Also consider recommendations from your local fire district... getting a tanker truck in to fight a fire may not be a current consideration for you but it can affect your insurance rates and taxes.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Also consider recommendations from your local fire district... getting a tanker truck in to fight a fire may not be a current consideration for you but it can affect your insurance rates and taxes.
Along the same line, I wouldn't get too fancy with the driveway as well as the planting quite yet. Assuming you're going to run water, electric, phone... all underground, it's best to have those laid beforehand. Choose your route for these carefully because you won't want tree roots getting into them.

For building the house, you're also going to have many trucks coming in and out. They're going to need some room. Some trucks are going to come in pretty heavy (e.g. concrete truck) so you don't want to have any paved surfaces until all the trucks are gone.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Maybe this site will be helpful in figuring out the appropriate trees for the driveway:

Untitled Document

I agree with what others have said about having to plow snow in winter.

Some thoughts on the house. This place that I retired to I live primarily on the main floor but it has an upstairs that's about 750 sq. ft. with one large bedroom, a full bath and another large area that a family would probably use as a TV area or sitting room. I figure that as I get older I might be able to stay in my home longer (maybe until the end) if I don't need to be in a skilled nursing facility I could have live in help. That's my hope anyway.

Then my final resting place will be up on the hillside, across the creek where several of my dogs are already buried.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Crushed limestone is what you want unless you have millions to spend. ThE limestone powder helps compact the whole thing itno a hard surface. You will need a couple of T & T s of additioanl limestone every tree or four years. If you are unsually wealthy, look into turf block or similar products. THis is a type of paving block with holes in it. You lay it, fill it with dirt and plant grass or flowers in the dirt. THe driveway becomes a path of grass or flowers, not pavement at all. It is awesome, but expensive, especially if you put it in correctly (a base of several feet of large rock, then gravel, then sand then the block and dirt) You also have maintenaince to deal with.

THe trees in your picture are probably 150 years old. Sorry, you would be dead before your driveway will look like that. You could try super fast growing genetivcally engineered trees like Sapphire Dragon/ They do not really branch out like that though. Pines grow quickly and can create a nice look if you space themout and put some other plants between and around them. Personally I think a split rail fence running alongside a long driveway looks awesome. It will also keep animals off the driveway and help you locate the drivay if it snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House