U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,725,804 times

Advertisements

Hello -- I attempted to clean the oven yesterday, but cannot get the baked-on crud off the bottom. I tried two applications of oven cleaner (spray on/leave it for two hours/wipe off), scrubbing with lemon juice and a scouring pad, baking soda, and even a splash of bleach but nothing will remove the crud. I spent about 2 hours on it and it still is not 100% clean. It looks a lot better than it did, but I want it to look like new. It is a grey porcelain enamel-lined oven (if that helps). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM

15,309 posts, read 57,404,261 times
As the old saying goes-
"Lather, rinse, and repeat."

It may take several attempts, but should eventually come clean. Everything can't be "I want it yesterday".

One idea that a lot of people overlook- food grade H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide). It's about a 35% dilution compared to the common H2O2 that's 3%.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As the old saying goes-
"Lather, rinse, and repeat."

It may take several attempts, but should eventually come clean. Everything can't be "I want it yesterday".

One idea that a lot of people overlook- food grade H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide). It's about a 35% dilution compared to the common H2O2 that's 3%.
Good point, I am being impatient. It will take more attempts. I admit the second cleaning took more of it off. Also---are you saying I should try using common hydrogen peroxide?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM

33,515 posts, read 35,066,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Hello -- I attempted to clean the oven yesterday, but cannot get the baked-on crud off the bottom. I tried two applications of oven cleaner (spray on/leave it for two hours/wipe off), scrubbing with lemon juice and a scouring pad, baking soda, and even a splash of bleach but nothing will remove the crud. I spent about 2 hours on it and it still is not 100% clean. It looks a lot better than it did, but I want it to look like new. It is a grey porcelain enamel-lined oven (if that helps). Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!
How old is your oven? Does it have a self cleaning option that you are opting not to use, perhaps?

If you do not have the self cleaning cycle, the best cleaning option is prevention. Use a cookie sheet lined with foil under any pans that are likely to produce drips and clean more often.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How old is your oven? Does it have a self cleaning option that you are opting not to use, perhaps?

If you do not have the self cleaning cycle, the best cleaning option is prevention. Use a cookie sheet lined with foil under any pans that are likely to produce drips and clean more often.
The oven is less than 3 years old--however, it does not have a self-cleaning option. I always use the prevention method, but my housemates do not (errrg). My son is the worst offender!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The oven is less than 3 years old--however, it does not have a self-cleaning option. I always use the prevention method, but my housemates do not (errrg). My son is the worst offender!
How old is your son? (insert evil grin here)

It appears your problem is solved. If he's old enough to use the oven, he's old enough to supply the elbow grease to clean it!

I believe he would also learn the value of prevention!

Meanwhile, you might try applying the cleaner and letting it sit overnight.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM

18,066 posts, read 32,163,581 times
Quote:
All ovens come with cleaning instructions. Open oven's drawer (front bottom of the oven), and look for the model number at the left side of the opening, in front. Use this model number plus the oven's brand to search the user's manual online.

We have a new oven, and the cleaning instructions are much different than those for old ovens. For example, oven cleaners aren't used on new ovens, and the cleaning cycle takes about 40 minutes. Instead of hazardous chemicals, water is used to clean new ovens. But since every oven manufacturer has different cleaning instructions, you must follow the instructions for your specific oven.

Ours has the bake coil underneath the floor pan (you can't see this coil). But the floor pan is like a shallow tub that has no holes of any kind on it (it looks like a shallow baking pan). To clean this oven 2 cups of clean water are poured into the floor pan, the oven door is closed, and the oven control is set to CLEAN. The oven will barely warm the water in the pan, but the warm water soaks the leftovers in the pan, and 40 minutes later it unlocks the door. At this point I take a large sponge or towel to remove the water and food leftovers from the pan, and continue wiping everything until the oven is clean inside.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All ovens come with cleaning instructions. Open oven's drawer (front bottom of the oven), and look for the model number at the left side of the opening, in front. Use this model number plus the oven's brand to search the user's manual online.

We have a new oven, and the cleaning instructions are much different than those for old ovens. For example, oven cleaners aren't used on new ovens, and the cleaning cycle takes about 40 minutes. Instead of hazardous chemicals, water is used to clean new ovens. But since every oven manufacturer has different cleaning instructions, you must follow the instructions for your specific oven.

Ours has the bake coil underneath the floor pan (you can't see this coil). But the floor pan is like a shallow tub that has no holes of any kind on it (it looks like a shallow baking pan). To clean this oven 2 cups of clean water are poured into the floor pan, the oven door is closed, and the oven control is set to CLEAN. The oven will barely warm the water in the pan, but the warm water soaks the leftovers in the pan, and 40 minutes later it unlocks the door. At this point I take a large sponge or towel to remove the water and food leftovers from the pan, and continue wiping everything until the oven is clean inside.
Apparently OP's oven doesn't have a clean cycle at all.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How old is your son? (insert evil grin here)

It appears your problem is solved. If he's old enough to use the oven, he's old enough to supply the elbow grease to clean it!

I believe he would also learn the value of prevention!

Meanwhile, you might try applying the cleaner and letting it sit overnight.
Yes, he's definitely old enough to scrub! LOL! I will try the overnight thing. And I just double-checked---the appliance does not have a self-clean cycle. Thanks all!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,989,337 times
Do you have any shop hand cleaner around? Something like Fast Orange?

I haven't tried it in an oven but every other time I made a serious mess of something (e.g. the time I washed then dried my jeans that had tar on them. Well, the heat from the dryer brought the tar back to its quasi-liquid state and tarred the entire inside of the dryer). The hand cleaner was the only thing that would remove it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House