Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times

Advertisements

I remember a post on here a while back which got heated on both sides as to whether white kitchens were in style. It was claimed that no one was buying white kitchens and almost none are sold if I remember rightly (it was a long time ago).

I guess things must have changed as of the top 10 most pinned and saved kitchens, almost all are white.

Citing savvy organizational solutions, gorgeous lighting and more, Houzzers saved these kitchen photos in droves

I guess they are either back in fashion, or more likely they never went out of fashion.

Personally we had a white kitchen, then a wood kitchen and our latest kitchen is back to white.

Anyway there are some absolutely gorgeous kitchens in the article so I figured I would share.

Enjoy - I just love some of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM

248 posts, read 862,499 times
Hobokenkitchen,

Yes we sell quite a few white kitchens and right now there is also movement to other colors. I've got a couple looking at doing there kitchen in green.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I don't think there was any disagreement to the FACT that white kitchens make for FANTASTIC photographs, especially on the low-resolution medium of typical webernet browsers.

That said the majority of folks that spend money on doing over a kitchen STRONGLY prefer materials that show off their rich texture and hand crafted details NEITHER OF WHICH is very easy to see on crummy web site snap shots.

Additionally the majority of buyers that are "moving up" from a cheap apartment or a "tract home" have a preference for things that are more "unique" than the blank slate of typical "entry level" white kitchens. Of course when a kitchen cabinet marketer wants to highlight "features" that then can, for an additional cost, sell for any cabinet they are wise to CHOOSE white as the background for things like custom pull-outs and organizers, as other colors would likely not photograph with as sharp a contrast nor would they display as well on web browsers...

I have to say that my experience showing home with even SPOTLESSLY MAINTAINED white kitchen is that virtually all buyers with kids or contemplating starting a family do express a concern that the day-to-day use of a kitchen by a family will show more "wear and tear" than a more hued palate -- I think smart designed try to get around these potential objections by wisely using colorful "feature walls" or upholstery of more dramatic colors...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Love green kitchens. I saw a stunning custom green kitchen recently with copper panels and butcher block countertops. It was spectacular but wouldn't have looked right in every house.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
or more likely they never went out of fashion.
That's it.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I am already tired of all the white kitchens....they are everywhere....not to say there aren't some gorgeous ones. It just gets tiresome when people lose their creativity and jump on the same bandwagon.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Kinda like how other people quickly got tired of cherry cabinets and granite?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Kinda like how other people quickly got tired of cherry cabinets and granite?
I don't think people were that quick to tire of cherry cabinets and granite...I can remember friends who had that style of kitchen 16-17 years ago and really they were the kitchen of choice for many until a year or two ago. The overwhelming sameness of it all kills it for some...and styles change and people want something different.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That said the majority of folks that spend money on doing over a kitchen STRONGLY prefer materials that show off their rich texture and hand crafted details NEITHER OF WHICH is very easy to see on crummy web site

I have to say that my experience showing home with even SPOTLESSLY MAINTAINED white kitchen is that virtually all buyers with kids or contemplating starting a family do express a concern that the day-to-day use of a kitchen by a family will show more "wear and tear" than a more hued palate -- I think smart designed try to get around these potential objections by wisely using colorful "feature walls" or upholstery of more dramatic colors...
Disagree and disagree.

I do agree on entry level white kitchens which tend to be not so good (although I've actually seen some exceptionally good Ikea white cheap kitchens), but I think people redoing their kitchens STRONGLY prefer to get what they like looking at. That appears to be white kitchens based on the things like this article.

I like both really - the last kitchen we put in was mahogany and it was great. We just wanted a more timeless look in our new kitchen so it was back to the elegance of white (with a walnut island). It's almost done and I just love it.

I'm not saying that white is better than wood, or that wood is better than white - I just remembered the thread from a couple of years back and thought it was quite ironic given some of the things that were said in that thread.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
That's a lot of white kitchens. I have the basic, entry-level white kitchen which is fine for now. Eventually, I'd like a more upscale white kitchen or more likely, flat euro-cabinets in turquoise or orange. As much as I do love wood and fine workmanship, that's not what I think would look best in my bright, open, modern kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House