Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1990 View Post
i just moved into a new apartment and there is an issue with the toilet. ive plunged it but its not clogged. every time i go to flush it the bowl fills up with water but there is no suction force whatsoever pulling anything down the bottom. it just fills up with water and the water slowly receeds down the drain over the course of like 30 minutes. im not sure what causes the swirling downward suction in toilets but my toilet has no swirling or downward suction at all, what could this be!?!?
Your apartment in on the equator. The water doesn't know whether to circle to the left or to the right.

"Hello? Apartment manager? My toilet is overflowing and the tenant below is cursing me for ruining her hairdo. Do you think you could send a plumber?" Seriously - when something is a landlord responsibility, DO NOT volunteer to do things on your own. You may inadvertently accept liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM

46 posts, read 135,290 times
Maintenance service is one thing tenants have, you can ask your landlord about it if what the best thing he can do for your concerns. In this case his help and of course the plumber or whoever is greatly needed.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Assuming that the water level in the tank has been properly set or adjusted and the flush controls (handle and arm, plus the flopper valve and chain) are the correct ones and adjusted, two things are possible:

a. An obstruction on the sewage line, anywhere from the toilet out the line
b. A blocked vent line (or the absence of a vent line)

First try a snake since there can be a small rag or something like that past the wax ring below the toilet. But don't forget that a toilet without a vent line does not want to flush easily.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 AM

18 posts, read 61,985 times
its good if you had sort it out... but take care for next time... always keep it covered with lid because kids and pets are totally unexpected!!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the worst offenders I've come across are Q-tips... they tend to lodge sideways and make a toilet paper dam...

Good you had it addressed right away...
A son flushed a toothpick and one end got stuck in the wax ring. I think it moved side to side causing intermittent problems for a long time and the closet auger never dislodged it. It was fun removing the toilet and seeing it stuck there. Not!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Glad you got it fixed.

I had the same problem once. My daughter had flushed a rubber duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House