Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
what does this have to do with my thread. Please I am looking for SERIOUS info only . not jokes

please refer to my orig post if you can give me advise WONdERFUL AGAIN i will be hiring someone to do this DIY info is not of interest. thanks
I was just answering your question. I wasn't giving you advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
I helped my daughter remove popcorn ceiling and yes, it's messy but really easy. Once it's wet it comes right off. I would think if there is any asbestos in the popcorn getting it wet would eleminate most if not all of the hazard. Isn't it the dry asbestos particles in the air that gets into your lungs and does the damage? We did wear rain gear, goggles and paper masks.

Never mind, I just realized you aren't doing this yourself. If you plan to hire a contractor to do this, why are you asking how to do it?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM

139 posts, read 409,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I helped my daughter remove popcorn ceiling and yes, it's messy but really easy. Once it's wet it comes right off. I would think if there is any asbestos in the popcorn getting it wet would eleminate most if not all of the hazard. Isn't it the dry asbestos particles in the air that gets into your lungs and does the damage? We did wear rain gear, goggles and paper masks.

Never mind, I just realized you aren't doing this yourself. If you plan to hire a contractor to do this, why are you asking how to do it?

I didn't ask how to do it in my orig post .

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
I have this gross popcorn ceiling - I want to remove it, what are my options and what is the most economical way to do so. ps i will be hiring someone to do this so no DIY info is required.
Get bids for the work from contractors. Compare bids from contractors for price and scope. Scope means will they protect and clean surrounding surfaces, and will they refinish the surfaces where removal occurred to a prepped painted finish, and or ready to paint, or just simple removal? Removal only will leave more finishing and painting to be done. Will you or they be responsible for moving household furnishings. Good contractors will address these items in their proposals. This is how you will be able to distinguish a complete job from a hack.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
I didn't ask how to do it in my orig post .
Kit--perhaps you should seek advice somewhere else. Everyone here has given you advice and you come back with a lot of snotty retorts. Call a contractor in your area--what else do you want to hear?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM

139 posts, read 409,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Kit--perhaps you should seek advice somewhere else. Everyone here has given you advice and you come back with a lot of snotty retorts. Call a contractor in your area--what else do you want to hear?
sorry you feel i am bing snooty but my orig post was clear and concise and YES i did get advise from others who read the question.

What else do I want to hear. ummmm humingbirds idk lol just joking . I agree to call a contractor thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
Here are your options (you asked )
  1. DIY - (clearly you are against)
  2. Call a Contractor
  3. Do nothing

Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
If there is any asbestos in the coating of the ceiling (the popcorn part) it might be very expensive to have a contractor remove it since they need to follow certain rules of safety. (This is because they do this kind of work often and would end up overly exposed.) However, I believe that a homeowner may not be subjected to the same rules. So, it there is asbestos and it will be too expensive to hire the contactor to get rid of it you could a) remove it yourself or b) put new drywall right over the top of the old stuff. Lots of times the (b) choice is made in an old house with a plaster ceiling that is in bad shape.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
This is the way you do it:

a. Clear the room of furniture (move everything out of there)
b. Cover the floor wall to wall with 4-6 mil. visqueen (unless you are replacing the carpet and pad)

c. Use a pump sprayer (the large weed sprayers sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.), and spray a layer of water on the ceiling. Take a 10-minute break, and then spray another layer. Take another 10-minute break. Do this form times.

d. With a 12" taping knife, scrape the ceiling to remove any of the larger texture pieces, and then spray the ceiling once more.

d. With a 6" knife, scrape as much of the texture as you can, down to the sheetrock, without cutting into it. Continue this process until the whole ceiling is smooth.

d. At this point you may have to re-tape and patch some areas you may have damaged, then sand as needed, and prime the ceiling.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Not wishing to offend the OP but I have been wondering for a long time now.... what is so horrible about a popcorn ceiling? From the 1st time I saw them back in the '70's I always thought they looked kind of nice. I think it's just since the advent of HGTV that now most people treat a popcorn ceiling like it was the plague. It isn't that different from the traditional sand ceiling and it helps to hide cracks that often develop in ceilings. Why not just re-paint it white and enjoy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House