Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM

4,613 posts, read 12,210,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!
Just in from the 2006 IRC.... Table R602.3(1)
"Other wall sheathing....."
1/2" gypsum sheathing - can use 1 1/2" galvanized roofing nail; 6d common (2"x0.131") nail; staple galvanized 1 1/2" long; 1 1/4" screws, Type W or S. @4" on edges and 8" at intermediate supports
5/8" gypsum sheathing - can use 1 3/4" galvanized roofing nail; 8d common (2 1/2"x0.131") nail; staple galvanized 1 15/8" long; 1 5/8" screws, Type W or S. @4" on edges and 8" at intermediate supports

Most of the installers in my area use glue and screws. They may use a few nails to tack in place, then screw, but most just use screw guns.
We will still see "nail pops" (screw or nail) once in a while when they are not secured properly.
Interesting, I was unaware that screws could be used in braced wall assemblies (I'm not up to speed on the new ICC standards). However, if I'm not mistaken this exterior applications used where a rating may apply, or in lieu of an alternate material such as OSB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM

This is the top plate in my living room. There's actually 6 total in a span of 17'. I will knock off the mud as I stated in my first post, and screw in the screws, and Spackle as required. I will not add any additional fasteners, because clearly I'm getting movement here and could cause additional damage. There's already enough fasteners in the wall, so the drywall will not fall off the wall.
For clarity, most interior drywall has zero structural integrity. The framed structure is stand alone and drywall is simply a finish.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,182,234 times
Can't use drywall on exterior.......

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
If not nails used, then your problem is "screw pop" instead of "nail pop."
You can do this for screw pop:

Drywall Repair - Screw Pop - YouTube

Also, you can find what to do about nail pops right at the place of the link above.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Can't use drywall on exterior.......
SHEETROCK Brand gypsum sheathing panels by USG Corporation

What you quote from the IRC WAS FOR BRACED WALL PANELS, AND NOT FOR INTERIOR FINISH.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM

328 posts, read 680,128 times
No surprise that people offer advice that know nothing about what they are talking about. If the nails popped that means that they are not holding properly into the stud. By nailing them back does nothing but results in the same popped nail, again, in a few months. That is because all you are doing is nailing that nail back into the same hole that it did not hold the first time. I would remove some of the nails to examine if they are the correct nails for the job. Nails will pop on any house construction--but that is just a few or so. But if they used the wrong nails (length/type) for sheet rock--you should identify that NOW and take appropriate action against the builder. To fix the immediate problem, use sheet rock screws a few inches above each popped nail. I would remove the popped nails, and do the job right the first time. This is a fast and cheap fix.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
No surprise that people offer advice that know nothing about what they are talking about. If the nails popped that means that they are not holding properly into the stud. By nailing them back does nothing but results in the same popped nail, again, in a few months. That is because all you are doing is nailing that nail back into the same hole that it did not hold the first time. I would remove some of the nails to examine if they are the correct nails for the job. Nails will pop on any house construction--but that is just a few or so. But if they used the wrong nails (length/type) for sheet rock--you should identify that NOW and take appropriate action against the builder. To fix the immediate problem, use sheet rock screws a few inches above each popped nail. I would remove the popped nails, and do the job right the first time. This is a fast and cheap fix.
Do these look right? I only used these for 35 years.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,508,076 times
Wow!!!! 3 pages so far on a stupid nail pop. Something that could be fixed for under $10.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Nail pop, screw pop, pop's pop- whatever! I'd be more concerned about what caused it based on the info the OP gave.
From the post it "sounds like" the 2nd story is new. Which would also mean that the stairwell is probably new also. So, I'd be curious as to how it was framed-not necessarily the walls but the stairs themselves and the floor underneath (if not a slab).
As for the stairs, where they prefab or site built? And were the stringers nailed to every stud and if there is a mid-span support.

Granted, it could be nothing more than a seasonal pop- but the upstairs walls are pristine according to the OP. And stairwells take concentrated loads-

Drywall is cheap, easy to repair, and adds little structural integrity. But a combination of glue and nails/screws could possibly have made this a non-issue.
To answer what I know - the 2nd story including this stairwell (and the opposite basement stairwell) are all new. It's not on a slab. It is a pre-fab stairwell, both of them. I see nail pops in the basement stairwell as well, though less prominent. No nail pops anywhere else. On the opposite wall in the main stairwell is a hairline crack in the drywall (see pic).

We've spot re-painted this stairwell wall before and due to an upper window's light shining directly on it, we can see the re-paint spots - it's also unsightly. That's why I'm hesitant to spot fix all of this and repaint. I guess it comes to which is worse. If it's not a structural issue, I may just leave it. Attached a couple more pics to give a general idea - thx for all responses already.
Attached Thumbnails
wall studs showing through after construction-2013-01-22-10.12.54.jpg   wall studs showing through after construction-2013-01-22-10.15.01.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Your "hairline crack" is the cornerbead popping off. There's some compression going on there; it could continue or it may have gone as far as it's going too.

Bottomline, I believe you may have some framing member(s) that are inadequately supported or undersized. Especially if the construction is 2+yrs old and just now showing up.

One way to know for sure- make the repairs, and if they show up again in a 6mon period you got "something" going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House