Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:25 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times

Advertisements

Quick background
  • I am a millennial. This post is directed more towards millennial
  • I dabble in real estate - developer/investor, so have a large sample
  • I know traditional can mean a lot of different, so my definition of traditional = not contemporary modern.
To me, it seems like young adults these days when they buy their first house, everyone wants a new contemporary modern home. They want sleek/boxy designs. Everyone wants their color scheme to be grey/white. The days of brown are gone. In my sample, I don't know a single person aged 25-35 who has purchased/renovated a brand new home in 2016 that has chosen a brown finish with classical designs. Everything is light and shades of white. Does anyone see traditional making a comeback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You're asking about home design with one breath and home decor with the next. Make up your mind.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're asking about home design with one breath and home decor with the next. Make up your mind.
I'm referring to both, sorry for the confusion

Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
This stuff is cyclical. There's a reason there are so many styles called ---- Revival.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:57 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Yeah, it's you.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, or lack the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner.

As has been noted in another thread, buying a home has more to do with income and "available stock". If every millennial was buying "new contemporary" where are they being built?- especially since there seems to be an overwhelming urge for millennials to be "in-town". What happens to that "old stock" (the traditional home).

Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 PM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Not exactly a millennial here....I'm 58. So I've been through several generations of style. I remember when I bought my first house in 1982, gray was hot. The house we bought had all the rooms painted gray with white trim.....similar to today. I got tired of it and went with a variety of colors over the years. Styles and colors change.

But....good design never goes out of style. My 99 yo MIL just moved out of her 60 yo home. In the 1960s she hired a top notch interior design firm from manhattan to decorate her home. Beautiful silk and linen fabrics, quality furniture with simple lines and classic accessories, light fixtures, colors a beautiful olive green, gold and ivory. Plenty of her family antiques were part of the design.

Her home never really went out of style. It always felt classic and comfortable. I find the most interesting interior design to be a mix of inexpensive trendy items, traditional pieces and contemporary pieces. I haven't been able to pull it off well. I think it takes a deft hand.

Paint is cheap, you can always change that. And yes, eventually everything comes back in style. Just play with it. Really, just pick what you love and what feels like home to you, not necessarily what's in style.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I'm a millennial and wanted traditional touches when we purchased our house. Now our cabinets wound up already being painted but I did not want the sleek/boxy/new look. Nor have any of my friends...not to say that no one does but I don't think it's as prevalent as you think. Or at least not in all of the markets.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 AM

55 posts, read 97,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
But....good design never goes out of style. My 99 yo MIL just moved out of her 60 yo home. In the 1960s she hired a top notch interior design firm from manhattan to decorate her home. Beautiful silk and linen fabrics, quality furniture with simple lines and classic accessories, light fixtures, colors a beautiful olive green, gold and ivory. Plenty of her family antiques were part of the design...

Really, just pick what you love and what feels like home to you, not necessarily what's in style.
That's all there is to it, really. A comfortable and attractive home, not shelter magazine trends, are what most of my Gen X and Millennial friends are looking for.

(The outliers want minimalist concrete and glass cubes at Ikea prices. Not going to happen.)

A good interior decorator will go a long way toward making a home feel timeless, with quality furniture, fabrics, and art integrated into family pieces and antiques that look like family pieces.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
I'm a millennial. My house is a 1929 bungalow in a great centrally-located city neighborhood. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Just me or traditional home designs/styles dead?
Just you

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
everyone wants a new contemporary modern home.
Everyone?
No way.

There are two (yes, two!) modern homes in my township. Everyone knows of them, as they stick out like a sore thumb (even though they are so cool). And they are owned by a doctor and a lawyer in their 50s.... not millennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House