Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Required in FL if you have a pool.
"Chainlink" is required?
You sure it's not just a Fence of one hgt or another, Pyro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Chainlink" is required?
Yes, I think it's one of the primary reasons Florida real estate lost so much value.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Unless you want to sell the house. I rarely see it used outside of construction sites and impound yards and dog kennels anymore. When looking at old houses that still had it, it was something else on the list of things to remove. This probably varies by area, but I don't see homeowners putting it in visible places anymore.
Chain link - ugly as sin. Not good home-value wise for residential houses. makes your place look cheap and nasty. Ok for commerical properties, where it belongs.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
"Chainlink" is required?
Depends on the area. A lot of places have severe restrictions on fence types and hedges because the cops want to see what is going on without bothering to get out of their cars.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Yes, I think it's one of the primary reasons Florida real estate lost so much value.
As always, a simple check proved that the information you and Harry prescribe is false. I've spent enough time in FL to know that I've seen pools with all kinds of fencing (barriers)- No where is there mention of the "type" of barrier.
Please read to your heart's content...

State of Florida Statuate-

515.29 Residential swimming pool barrier requirements.

(1) A residential swimming pool barrier must have all of the following characteristics:

(a) The barrier must be at least 4 feet high on the outside.

(b) The barrier may not have any gaps, openings, indentations, protrusions, or structural components that could allow a young child to crawl under, squeeze through, or climb over the barrier.

(c) The barrier must be placed around the perimeter of the pool and must be separate from any fence, wall, or other enclosure surrounding the yard unless the fence, wall, or other enclosure or portion thereof is situated on the perimeter of the pool, is being used as part of the barrier, and meets the barrier requirements of this section.

(d) The barrier must be placed sufficiently away from the water’s edge to prevent a young child or medically frail elderly person who may have managed to penetrate the barrier from immediately falling into the water.

(2) The structure of an aboveground swimming pool may be used as its barrier or the barrier for such a pool may be mounted on top of its structure; however, such structure or separately mounted barrier must meet all barrier requirements of this section. In addition, any ladder or steps that are the means of access to an aboveground pool must be capable of being secured, locked, or removed to prevent access or must be surrounded by a barrier that meets the requirements of this section.

(3) Gates that provide access to swimming pools must open outward away from the pool and be self-closing and equipped with a self-latching locking device, the release mechanism of which must be located on the pool side of the gate and so placed that it cannot be reached by a young child over the top or through any opening or gap.

(4) A wall of a dwelling may serve as part of the barrier if it does not contain any door or window that opens to provide access to the swimming pool.

(5) A barrier may not be located in a way that allows any permanent structure, equipment, or similar object to be used for climbing the barrier.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
If you've spent time in Florida, then you know that a lot of the local zoning laws there are intrusive and bordering on insane, especially in the upscale areas. I remember a fight where zoning wanted to limit hedges (even on sides and back) to 4' in height and something like 20" if it was in front of the setback. Opaque fences were much more likely to get turned down than chain link. Whatever. You wanna go there and put up a privacy fence, and fight the code compliance guys, knock yerself out. My primary comment was that chain link fences last and are not, in my experience, maintenance issues.

Just a giggle - code can call for a 4' (48") fence around a pool, and at the same time call for the latches in the gates to it be at 54" or higher. Yosarian, please don't come in until the sign for my office says that I am out. Once I am out, you may come in to ask me questions.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 01-29-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,540 times
Quote:
I'll just answer your question-
Figure about $15L/ft installed.
Thank you so much!

HUGz! Jules

Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,785 times
I live in a golf course community, so I am subject to a fencing restriction. I can have a 6' fence, but only if it's chain-link. Soild fencing, such as white vinyl is limited to 4' height. I don't really care much. I bought the house this year and the yard is already fenced with 5' chain-link. That's fine for me. Although, I am going to replace the chain-link itself because it's rusted to hell from the sprinkler system blasting it all the time. The poles and posts area all perfect, so I'll just get some black vinyl-coated chain-link and that'll make a world of difference.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Interesting- in this area none of the HOA's would allow a chain-link fence,

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
Chain link fencing was not allowed in any HOA I ever lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House