Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,987,535 times

Advertisements

I can't offer you any advice, but I find this really fascinating and I hope you'll continue to update us with lots of photos of your progress. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
In the last picture, I think it's a hoot that the rotted out 2 x 4s are supported by large rocks and stacks of bricks, like putting a book under the leg of a wobbly table. Like I said, I love seeing the ingenuity of past generations. Looking forward to the updates.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 PM

47 posts, read 89,833 times
Quick lunchtime update, got the rest of the trash out, woo!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM

Day two down, started pulling the gravel back from the siding, exposing a lot of rot. I don't see anything holding the wall besides the corner posts. I popped in some temporary 4x4's just to keep it stable and moved the gravel inside the shed. Total expense so far: $20 dump fee.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 PM

You're really moving along there! Remember, no wood below earth. Dig further down to uncover the horizontal wood the 2 x 4s are attached to. The earth needs to be significantly lower than the wood to accommodate water runoff. You really do need gravel French drain surrounding the structure to prevent further rotting. It's the rotted wood that attracted the termites.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're really moving along there! Remember, no wood below earth. Dig further down to uncover the horizontal wood the 2 x 4s are attached to. The earth needs to be significantly lower than the wood to accommodate water runoff. You really do need gravel French drain surrounding the structure to prevent further rotting. It's the rotted wood that attracted the termites.
Thanks! Yes, I have been studying up on installing a french drain. The sill plate is all but gone, after I replace it and patch the studs, I will probably run some sheet metal along the bottom where the siding has rotted away, which should keep out the moisture and pests.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OROSO View Post
Thanks! Yes, I have been studying up on installing a french drain. The sill plate is all but gone, after I replace it and patch the studs, I will probably run some sheet metal along the bottom where the siding has rotted away, which should keep out the moisture and pests.
I figured the sill plate was gone. We had to replace the sill plate on one side of our house because it rotted due to being below ground. Talk about a project. That sill plate is huge! If you install a French drain and re-grade the yard so it slopes away from the structure, it should be fine. Do whatever it takes to keep water from settling near the building.

Sheet metal will be an expensive route and a waste of money. You don't just need to protect the bottom but the new sill plate too. That's a lot of sheet metal. If water settles around near the building, the water will find its way around the sheet metal via the edges. Sheet metal rusts and deteriorates. Galvanized will cost even more. I wouldn't use plastic either because your wood will mold and rot since wood needs to breath.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
I would have "borrowed" a bulldozer during a windstorm and pushed that sucker right over under the cover of the weather, which would solve the collateral damage problems fire involves :-)

There's no foundation, right? How are you going to solve that, concrete blocks under the sill plate?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The city also has the capacity to declare the structure a hazard. I would approach the city with a proposal to tear down the unsafe structure and build something that they would approve of using as much of the original materials as possible.
This can be assisted by emphasizing the hazardous conditions of entry and rebuilding. Keep mentioning unsafe in every communication with the state, county and city.
There is always the possibility of accidents occurring, such as a truck or tractor accidently hitting a corner or side. Such a accident could mean the structure falling over as it looks ready to fall soon.
That $1000 would almost be enough to clean up such a accident.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
It seems some people keep forgetting this is a shed. It is not a house. Not even a garage. It is better with a foundation? Absolutely. Will it stand for another 50 - 70 years without a foundation? It should. There is no difference between the first 50-70 and the next 50-70. Regardless of which way you decide to go, I would use treated lumber, or really old (pre 1950) salvaged lumber. With new untreated lumber, you will be lucky to get five years out of it, especially if you live east of the Mississippi.

You are making amazing progress. I wish I could move my projects along that fast. Of course winter gets in the way, so does work, travel, kid things, family events. . . . If I get six hours a weekend to work on something, I am doing well. You must also be in pretty good shape to move all that gravel so quickly. I would have to move half of it, and work on other things for a week while my back recovered, and then move the other half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House