Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

My current house was built in 1960. From some things I've read, that's about the time when plaster was on its way out and drywall was on its way in. If that's true, then I have no clue what kinds of walls my house has. Is there an easy way for me to tell?

I'm assuming I need to know for things like hanging pictures, patching after new electrical fixtures are added, etc.

Sorry, these are probably silly questions. I can read and read and read but with house stuff I learn best when someone shows me ... and there's no one here at the moment! So thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Or you might have plaster over drywall, as my mom's house (1955) and sister's house (1960) do.

Just to confuse things even further ...

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Find a hidden section of wall and try to stick a utility knife blade in. If it goes in, it's drywall. If it doesn't, it's probably plaster.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Find somewhere you can look behind an unfinished wall - like from the attic. You probably have drywall in a house that new. Mine is from the late 40's and all original drywall.

Failing that, just swing a hammer at the wall. Plaster will crack/shatter whereas drywall will punch through.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can tell by knocking on it. Drywall sounds hollow, and if you go left to right the sound will change and be less hollow when you are at a stud. Plaster sounds more solid and doesn't change as you go along. The best way, though, is to remove a piece of trim around a door and look under the edge or poke with a scrwdriver, drywall is soft inside, plaster hard all the way and should be thicker.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default No need to risk injury / damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Find a hidden section of wall and try to stick a utility knife blade in. If it goes in, it's drywall. If it doesn't, it's probably plaster.
Much easier to remove a switch plate or heating register for forced air and just LOOK for the tell-tale layer of paper that is often visible for dry wall or "blue board" that has been overlaid with plaster. Doubtful you have lathe, but possible, it would show as either expanded metal mesh or thin slats of wood...

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Find somewhere you can look behind an unfinished wall - like from the attic. You probably have drywall in a house that new. Mine is from the late 40's and all original drywall.
Except the plaster in my house uses some type of dry wall backboard.

This was installed in the early 50's. There is 3/8 drywall backer type material, it appears it came in 2*8 foot pieces. The plaster went over that.

Karen I've done all the patching in my house with drywall but then again the plaster in this house is flawless. I'm not sure how they got so smooth and straight.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Is plaster harder (literally) to hang stuff on? I am so wishy-washy about hanging pictures (keep changing my mind on what should go where!!) that I still haven't hung any in the 8+ months I've been here.

Thanks for all the replies so far -- I'll rep everyone I can!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Is plaster harder (literally) to hang stuff on?
In my house it works perfectly, you can drive those small brass nails for picture hangers right into anywhere and they are very secure. I wouldn't be afraid to hang heavier things on it. The dry wall is much softer and the nail might not hold especially with thinner dry wall.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Well...if I felt like driving to New Hampshire I could probably tell what you have by just tapping on the walls. Drywall usually has a more hollow sound, while plaster sounds and feels more solid. Drywall is basically compressed gypsum with a paper covering, and it is the paper covering which is first noticeable if you drive a nail or cut into it. Cut through the covering and the inside can become a bit crumbly. On the other hand, older plaster was usually applied over wood lathe or sometimes metal lathe--and it is more solid. In my 1885 farmhouse I had multiple layers of plaster over wood lathe, attached to a 3-course brick wall structure--so it was pretty solid. They don't make 'em like that any more.

As you might guess, I prefer plaster, but drywall is usually fine for normal picture hanging. To me, plaster just seems easier to patch since there is a more solid structure to adhere to. Knock on the walls of a new house and the feel and sound will nearly always be that of drywall. It takes a bit of practice to be able to distinguish the difference. I'd offer to help, but I hear the roads are going to be a bit snowy tonight.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 02-07-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House