Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,755,485 times

Advertisements

I don't know but this seemed to fit more here in house than rental since rental is mostly legal stuff.

I just wonder if I am kidding myself that an attic apartment (3rd floor, basically) would be at all bearable in the Texas summer.

Here's the deal: my apartment building (not really an apartment, but an old house divided) was built around 1910 I believe. The uppermost floor is a converted attic. Previously it was too small and I don't know who lived there but they moved out a couple months ago. Since then, management has been working on it, re-doing the floors and so forth, and opening up parts of it that were previously just storage to create a bigger place with an extra bedroom.

My eldest son has been helping out with some of the work (for pay) and keeps telling me about how much he thinks I'd like this apartment. Tons of windows, really unique layout, more space than what I have, and a view of the entire downtown area that is stunning. Also a much improved kitchen. So if I made a list of pros and cons, the pros would win, except I am afraid that it will be miserably hot in the summer.

They are installing brand new window unit AC's but is that enough (the whole building has window units due to the age of the place, it was easier I guess)? I don't know what else they have done to make it cooler, I'd have to ask, but the management here is kind of cheap so who knows what lengths they'd go to (or not). They aren't known for being very spendy when they re-do the units.

What about that radiant heat barrier paint that I hear about on the radio? Would that help and does it just go on the ceiling, and is it cost prohibitive for an average renter?

The thing is, if I want it, it will probably be ready in a month or so, before it gets really hot here, so I wouldn't know until it was too late and a lease had been signed. My son says the breeze is incredible up there with all the windows open but I am skeptical. I can stand a lot of things but being hot isn't one of them! Our current apartment is on the first floor with decent amount of shade along the living room side, and even down here the summer days can get uncomfortable in the bedrooms (non shady side).

Thoughts? I remember, growing up in a 2 story, that it was always hot upstairs where my bedroom was, but my mother says now that there was something about the roofing materials that were not right and that was why it was too warm, and that she needed a second AC unit for the size of the house and didn't know it back then. So I dunno. Last time I lived on the third floor it was a fairly modern apartment complex with central heat & air.

Aside from this possible issue, though, the idea is exciting. Privacy, and an amazing view, and the ability to leave windows open at night, all definite pluses! It'd be quieter too, right now we get a lot of parking lot noise since our bedroom is right next to the lot. This is the only apartment up there so no worries about people being up there that don't belong. Plus we'd get to stay in this building vs. moving somewhere else in town (we'd already planned a move since our current place is just too small)... I like this building and location quite a lot. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,838,782 times
The only way to make this apt not as hot would be having good insulation. Ask your son if the renovation included this? No the paint will barely help with cooling the place. Get ready for huge elec bills.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,755,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
The only way to make this apt not as hot would be having good insulation. Ask your son if the renovation included this? No the paint will barely help with cooling the place. Get ready for huge elec bills.
He hasn't been there for all of the work, just recently started helping out when they are shorthanded, but he said they added insulation to the outer walls. Don't know where else. I guess I will have to approach the other maintenance guys and see.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,720,130 times
Can you ask the present tenants on the 2nd floor what their place is like in the summer.....just to get a sense if the window A/C units do the job? Also, ask what their electric bills were this past summer in July & August and increase it by about 15% to give yourself a rough estimate of what your bill could be; see if you can tolerate that kind of electric bill? No, you can't paint the ceiling with any product as a tenant and radiant barrier is applied to an attic by a contractor.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times
It all depends if they properly insulated the interior walls and installed vents in the eaves.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM

22,643 posts, read 47,828,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post

They are installing brand new window unit AC's

--snip--

It'd be quieter too, right now we get a lot of parking lot noise since our bedroom is right next to the lot.
I would think that multiple window ACs will not be quiet....

Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM

34,146 posts, read 83,178,782 times
I once had an apartment on the top floor of a converted old house.
The LL paid the electric bill.

eta: but it wasn't in Texas

Last edited by MrRational; 02-10-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 AM

61,938 posts, read 87,554,606 times
... also: there are cheap A/C window units and energy efficient window units. Those more sophisticated have better temperature regulation and are fairly quiet, but they cost more. They need to be the proper size for the size of the rooms, otherwise they will run constantly.
Is that an open space loft kind of apartment? If you have walls and doors, it's easier to keep rooms cooler.
What about ceiling fans?
Which site the windows face? South? West?
Best Air Conditioners | Top Picks and Reviews at ConsumerSearch

Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
I gather there are no trees that overhang. My wife used a 3rd floor apartment for an office once (in Birmingham) and had a 220vt window unit that kept it quite comfortable. As you surmised, the issue will be cooling costs (and in Texas, lord help you if the power goes out). A long time ago, I lived in a third floor walk-up in Vermont. Groceries and laundry suddenly became major issues.

I would pass.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,171,789 times
I also wanted to mention the hassle of too many stairs. A family member of mine bought a condo that has 3 floors. Tons of stairs. A flight from the street, a flight from the garage, another flight to the main living area, another flight to the bedrooms....well you get the idea. Too many! When we looked at the place (before she bought it) she asked me what I thought and I mentioned the stairs might get tiresome. Bringing in groceries but just the overall hassle of carrying things up and down. She promptly told me she is fit and healthy and going up and down stairs is not an issue. Okayyy, that wasnt my point.

So 3 months later, guess who has buyers remorse? She is constantly over paying for stuff because she needs to find a store or company that will deliver. Pretty much the men in the family are tired of her calls, "Hey...I bought a tv. Can you bring it in my condo for me?" When she had her bedroom furniture delivered the delivery guys were a bit ticked off. They had no idea they had to carry so much furniture up so many flights. She admitted that when she hosted a holiday party, it took her almost 40 min. to bring in all the stuff she bought. Many trips up and down the stairs bringing in bags from the car.

So my point, do you think the stairs would be an issue later? Just something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House