Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
If Impressing people is your primary concern then go with the two story foyer. I personally think they are a waste of space and wasteful and hard to heat. The only time i find them ok is when there is no floor above or when your in a warmer climate and not worried about heating.
Really a ridiculous statement. Some people like space and charm. It has nothing to do with "impressing people". Our heating bills are very reasonable.....heat rises you know and keeps the upstairs nice and cozy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
If you have some windows that can be opened up there in that tall space, it can act like a chimney in the summer to exhaust hot air, drawing cooler air in at the lower level. This is evident in many large homes built in the 1700 and 1800s.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
We have a house with a two story foyer and really enjoy the light and spacious feel. People comment on the nice open entry it offers.

I would recommend you buy what you like and don't worry about what others think or some tiny difference it makes in heating/cooling the space.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Really a ridiculous statement. Some people like space and charm. It has nothing to do with "impressing people". Our heating bills are very reasonable.....heat rises you know and keeps the upstairs nice and cozy.
My intent wasnt calling you out,all though you did say this

I do hate to see people just dismiss the idea of a large open foyer - we haven't had one person walk into our home that hasn't commented on how beautiful our foyer is. We do use our front door every day and we do entertain often. For some people, a large open foyer is a good thing.

So clearly the value of the 2 story for your foyer is to "impress people" My home has gobs of "charm" and doesnt have a two story foyer...

I have recieved a few reputation points for my really rediculous statement. so sorry that you dont seem to agree.

Kentucky isnt a really cold climate so you may not notice an issue with the foyer but in NH you would certainly have a colder first floor(living space where you want the heat) and a warmer second floor (bedrooms where you typcially want it cooler)

Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

We really like how the 2 storey foyer looked at the model home that we went to. However, I have been reading trends and it says that people are getting away from buying a 2 storey foyer as the sq footage is kinda lost.

Without the 2 storey foyer on the other model it's $14k less. Yes the 2 storey foyer model also has a French door entry to the bedroom, but I am trying to think practically.

Just need to hear from other people if we are making the right choice. I am now leaning to go with the model without the 2 storey foyer and use the money saved somewhere else in the house for options.
Personally I think they look elegant and impressive so I would do it and not consider heating/cooling costs.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
I can't see the presence or absence of a 2 story foyer affecting my decision on buying a house, that would be pretty far down the list. Buy the total package you prefer regardless of the foyer.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
My intent wasnt calling you out,all though you did say this

I do hate to see people just dismiss the idea of a large open foyer - we haven't had one person walk into our home that hasn't commented on how beautiful our foyer is. We do use our front door every day and we do entertain often. For some people, a large open foyer is a good thing.

So clearly the value of the 2 story for your foyer is to "impress people" My home has gobs of "charm" and doesnt have a two story foyer...

I have recieved a few reputation points for my really rediculous statement. so sorry that you dont seem to agree.

Kentucky isnt a really cold climate so you may not notice an issue with the foyer but in NH you would certainly have a colder first floor(living space where you want the heat) and a warmer second floor (bedrooms where you typcially want it cooler)
You draw completely inaccurate conclusions based on what? A sentence that I wrote about liking my foyer? Why is that so threatening to you? Do you think that because I like my foyer that that somehow dimenishes how nice your home is? Get some therapy quick...you've gone off the deep end.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
When I was shopping for houses, I counted it as a +1 if a house had a two story foyer. So resale value is something you should consider. It doesn't have to be this huge spectacular space, it just makes the house seem more welcoming, especially if there is a pretty chandelier. Our foyer is at most 9x9 but it makes our house feel more open, and creates a little balcony on the upper floor. Our house is otherwise very compact and there's very little wasted space.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM

348 posts, read 846,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

We really like how the 2 storey foyer looked at the model home that we went to. However, I have been reading trends and it says that people are getting away from buying a 2 storey foyer as the sq footage is kinda lost.

Without the 2 storey foyer on the other model it's $14k less. Yes the 2 storey foyer model also has a French door entry to the bedroom, but I am trying to think practically.

Just need to hear from other people if we are making the right choice. I am now leaning to go with the model without the 2 storey foyer and use the money saved somewhere else in the house for options.
I never liked those 2-storey foyers and it would be a deal breaker for me. I believe it's a waste of energy with heating and cooling. Plus in the winter it would seem that room would be colder than the rest of the house and in the summer it would be warmer than the rest of the house. Lots of builders are making homes with the 2-storey foyers and I hope it's just a fad and will go away. Just like separate showers and garden tubs with the gigantic picture windows with them - hate those too.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 PM

102 posts, read 305,861 times
well, you guys have made the decision even harder. Looks like there is a split, and I can see the advantages of one over the other and vice versa.

Well, the differenc ein sq feet is 300, the one iwth foyer is 300 sqf smaller, the cost of adding hardwood on the stairs is nearly $3500. The master bathroom doe snot feel large and the price difference. is $5000 more for the hoem with a foyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House