Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 AM

102 posts, read 305,833 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We really like how the 2 storey foyer looked at the model home that we went to. However, I have been reading trends and it says that people are getting away from buying a 2 storey foyer as the sq footage is kinda lost.

Without the 2 storey foyer on the other model it's $14k less. Yes the 2 storey foyer model also has a French door entry to the bedroom, but I am trying to think practically.

Just need to hear from other people if we are making the right choice. I am now leaning to go with the model without the 2 storey foyer and use the money saved somewhere else in the house for options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Where I live, a 2-story foyer leads to big waste in heating/cooling ... not good when oil is close to $4 a gallon.

I personally would prefer the square footage. I do understand that those 2-story foyers are dramatic and good looking, but I (usually) prefer practical over looks.

Does the model without the 2-story foyer give you an extra room/closet upstairs? You haven't given many details except to say you'll save $14k without the dramatic foyer.

As for trends ... they change regularly, which is why they are called trends! So if you are planning to live there more than a year or two, who cares about trends?!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Go back to the model house and ask if you can change a light bulb in the foyer. See how that goes before deciding.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
The only "practicality" of a single story foyer is in the energy effiecentcy from an initial standpoint. However, that can be somewhat benign depending on the R-value of the structure, the efficiency of the HVAC unit(s), and more importantly your lifestyle.

A two story foyer creates the atmosphere for the rest of the home; depending on its size and layout. A gracious foyer "opens" the house and gives visual lanes to other rooms.

As for that "changing a light bulb" comment: a little common sense goes a long way.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Go back to the model house and ask if you can change a light bulb in the foyer.
See how that goes before deciding.
^This.

Aside from the HVAC inefficiencies in this particular example, there are a lot of nice looking
features and fixtures and options used to make homes and the "lifestyle" look more appealing.

What they don't discuss, let alone demonstrate, is how almost all will require hired help to keep up.
If you aren't the then hired help sort... beware.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
I like the 2 story foyer in that it creates a balcony (or catwalk if the other side is open too) look and feel to a house.

It depends on the other houses in your hood. If it's not something that is the norm for your price in your hood, then save your money and get extra sq footage.

A family member had a 2 story foyer, but everyone always entered through the garage and I never notice it. Then, they closed it up to make another bedroom and honestly I never noticed that they didn't have a 2 story foyer.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The trends also say that you can almost certainly get a much better value if you buy an existing home, so why are you shopping for new?

But seriously, if you like the look of the space I would probably say "the trend is not what matters" unless you are thinking you are gonna sell very soon AND IF THAT WERE THE CASE I would have to say "you must be nuts, you'll lose a ton of money!".

Assuming you plan on being in this home at least 7-10 years I would not worry about trends.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default It's a great hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

We really like how the 2 storey foyer looked at the model home that we went to. However, I have been reading trends and it says that people are getting away from buying a 2 storey foyer as the sq footage is kinda lost.

Without the 2 storey foyer on the other model it's $14k less. Yes the 2 storey foyer model also has a French door entry to the bedroom, but I am trying to think practically.

Just need to hear from other people if we are making the right choice. I am now leaning to go with the model without the 2 storey foyer and use the money saved somewhere else in the house for options.
So you walk in and are in a two story empty space. Every noise you make is heard through out the house, plus one loses an additional room upstairs. But if the house is big enough it works; But on competition small square footage homes, it turns your house into a cartoon character with an over size head. The proportions are distorted.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Having had a couple of houses with two story foyers I can tell you we'd never do it again for several reasons that've already been mentioned. Yes it certainly looks nice but in reality after a couple of weeks you won't notice it so the only people who'd notice would be guests. Given that if you're willing to accept all the negatives that have been pointed out so far and the few more that haven't been mentioned just to impress a few guests that come over then hey, get one.
Personally we'd rather have usable space, that top foyer space could've made a huge office,rec room,home theater etc. With the costs of heating/cooling and property taxes climbing I'd rather be able to use the space I'm paying for. Maybe a vaulted ceiling or trey ceiling which would still leave usable space upstairs?
Now if I was a multimillionaire then who cares but I'm not so we do.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Are you buying the house ot live in, or to show it to people?

To me the answer to that question answers the question originally posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House