Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I purchased a home that is ~3 years old. Hardie Board was used. At the corner of the house there has been some damage from what appears just weather. Thoughts on severity and/or solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Hardie Board Install-mail-1.jpeg   Hardie Board Install-mail.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
Hardie Board is pretty strong. That looks more like somebody was scooting an extension cord or dog chain around the corner. Since it is cosmetic, I'd cover it with a screwed in painted steel shelf bracket that could be replaced as needed. That would prevent further damage.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 02-27-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
I really DO NOT think that is any product from Hardie -- they make very durable cementious fiber based products that would be impossible to do that kind of damage without a power tool...

That looks more like "Masonite" or another form or "engineered wood fiber siding"..

Although the damage is not yet effecting the structure I would strongly recommend addressing this before water gets behind it and cause some major issues.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,149,449 times
Chet, that looks just like the hardi plank i have. Agree that it looks like something has been rubbing there. I was thinking a hose, but dog chain is a good guess.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,138,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I really DO NOT think that is any product from Hardie -- they make very durable cementious fiber based products that would be impossible to do that kind of damage without a power tool...

That looks more like "Masonite" or another form or "engineered wood fiber siding"..

Although the damage is not yet effecting the structure I would strongly recommend addressing this before water gets behind it and cause some major issues.
Most likely. Hardie corner trim is thick and very hard to cut.

Anyway, get some good filler, fill it and paint it. Right now its cosmetic.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM

20,298 posts, read 37,237,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

+1

Hardie board is extremely dense, and does not crumble like that.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,162,502 times
Looks pretty much like Hardi 5/4 batten.

Of course, if it had been installed correctly you probably wouldn't have a deterioration problem. Concrete&fiber or not, it will still absorb water- especially when it's sitting on concrete!!! Guess you guys didn't catch the obvious(?)
Here's the install instructions (may not be for your particular area, but you'll get the idea):
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...-batten-hz.pdf

Stupider is, what stupider does!
Dumbass installers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House