Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Some of our thermostats are basic (non programmable) thermostats made by white and rogers (model 1F78). I found a Honeywell RTH 221B laying around our house (no idea where it came from). I was planning to switch it in place of one of the non-progam white and rogers thermostats. However when we restored our house, we went with mostly higher end products (we are no longer rich, so I cannot just go out and buy some high end programmable ones). I do not want to switch out a really good thermostat for a crummy one. It the White & Rogers unit a better quality thermostat? Is switching to the Honeywell going downhill even though it is programmable?

I previously tries some other cheap programmables but they did nto ahve batteries, so when the power went out, they lost their programming. Plus they did nto seems to work well. I put the old ones back.

I looked it up and the Hoenywell is cheaper (16.95) than the White & Rogers ($26.95). But that does not always mean a difference in quality.

Actually I am surprised by how cheap they are, maby I should just find a White and Rogers programmable?

Ok not so cheap. The white and rogers programmable units we have are $80 each.

This takes me back to the original quesiotn. Are white and rigers actually that much better quality wise? It is amazing the Honeywell one is $16 and the W & R is $80.
Thank you

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-23-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
There was a thread not too long ago about T/stats-

I prefer the W/R to the Honeywell (any model) due to their simplicity (user functionality). Other than that, a t/stat is just a switch.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Does nto seem like it is worth $64 extra for simplicity.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
I would use the Honeywell thermostat if that's what you have. If you don't have the instructions or manual for it, you should be able to download and print it.

I found a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat at a garage sale. It didn't have a manual, but $1.00 for it was a good deal (it looked unused and clean). I downloaded the instructions, and installed the thermostat ten years ago. During the winter it keeps the temperature at 68 degrees (seven days of the week) when we are awake at home, and then at 65 degrees from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM when we are in bed. This thermostat can also be programmed in different ways during the week or weekend, night or day, and so on.

There is not a big difference from brand to brand, except for features some offer over the rest.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
RobertShaw

Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Be careful. Boilers are temperamental when it comes to thermostats.

The wrong thermostat can cause lots of problems for a boiler.

Make sure the thermostat you plan to use is compatible with your boiler system.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Be careful. Boilers are temperamental when it comes to thermostats.

The wrong thermostat can cause lots of problems for a boiler.

Make sure the thermostat you plan to use is compatible with your boiler system.
Thermostats are switching devises. All a thermostat does is to transfer power to the zone valve, or a circulating pump, or a fan, when it senses a temperature difference that differs from the preset or programmed cycle.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM

That figures. I probably have to buy the $80 ones for our boiler. Not the first time, I wish we had not gotten this fancy high tech boiler.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Thermostats are switching devises. All a thermostat does is to transfer power to the zone valve, or a circulating pump, or a fan, when it senses a temperature difference that differs from the preset or programmed cycle.
Tell that to my boiler.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That figures. I probably have to buy the $80 ones for our boiler. Not the first time, I wish we had not gotten this fancy high tech boiler.
I don't think so. A zone thermostat does not control the boiler. But you should at least know if your zone valves use 24 volts, 115 volts, or a pneumatic signal to operate. So, see what power the zone valve uses, and buy the right thermostat. Most home boilers and furnaces use 24 volts. But you can look at the transformer on the wall near the boiler and read its voltage ratings. The thermostat is much like a switch: it turns power on/off by closing and opening a set of contacts. You should also figure if the zone valves operate on 2 or 3 wires before you choose the thermostat to use.

The thermostat manual should show you what it does.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/300638-ins.pdf
Quote:
The RTH111/RTH221 thermostats can be used to control:
• a gas, oil or electric furnace — 2 or 3 wires
• a central air conditioner — 2 or 3 wires
• a hot water system (steam or gravity) with or without pump — 2 wires
• a millivolt system — 2 wires
• a central heating system with air conditioning — 4 or 5 wires
NOTE: This thermostat is not compatible with heat pumps or multi-stage systems.
WR thermostat:
http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume..._06_pg0190.pdf

The price difference between the two at Amazon is around $10.00:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Rodgers-.../dp/B000PY0LVO

Choose the one that uses 2 wires or three wires to turn the zone valves on/off. For example. several of the WR zone heating valves use 3 wires: one wire is the ON signal, another wire is for the OFF (close valve) signal, and the third wire is the hot signal from the transformer.

But at my home the zone valves I have use 2 wires. My boiler is a hot water boiler, with baseboard heat. In this case, I can use the Honeywell thermostat, or the other one.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-23-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House