Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,384 times

Advertisements

I posted this earlier in "Green Living," but no one replied, so perhaps this forum will be a better venue:

I have about 25-30 PAR38/R40 recessed cans at my house. They are currently burning a mix of 90 Watt PAR38 and 100 Watt R40 lights. And they are on about 8 hours a day.

I don't care for CFLs as every CFL PAR38 bulb I have tried had three major problems -- they took a long time to reach full intensity, gave off horrible light quality (even ones claimed to be 2700K) and died A LOT sooner than the claimed lifespan.

I am considering replacing the current PAR38/R40 halogen/incandescents with LED lights. While the latter are quite expensive ($40-50 per bulb, so I am looking at $1500 max), I like several of the benefits such as more rapid warm up to full intensity (.25 to .5 second as I understand), lower energy consumption and better color quality than CFLs.

I have two questions to anyone out there who might be knowledgeable about such bulbs. First, how do LED lights compare in quality to halogen? The ones I found have CRI of 85 (both 2700K and 3000K). Obviously halogen has 100 while the CFLs I tried in the past had 80-82. Will they seem "pretty close" to halogen and substantially better than CFLs in terms of light quality? Jump from CRI 80-82 to 85 doesn't seem like much.

Second, lumens. Most 90 Watt PAR38 Halogen equivalent LEDs (18 Watts) seem to have considerably fewer lumens than the halogen (around 1300 lumens vs. 850-1000 lumens). I may have to up the wattage in my LEDs to around 19-24 watts to achieve 1300 lumens plus. Is that safe in recessed can meant for 90 Watt PAR38 halogen/100 Watt R40 incan? I am asking whether the spikes/heat with LEDs pose any danger when exceeding "equivalent" figures.

Some additional questions:

The LED bulbs I am considering are:

19-watt - LED - PAR38 - 3000K Warm White - Flood and

24W LED PAR38 Flood | Lighting Science DFN38WWV2FL120.

Any thoughts/advice?

Also, is there much difference between 2700K and 3000K LEDs in terms of color spectrum? I do not want "bluish" light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
Sorry I don't have an answer on this, but I've been considering LED replacements for cfls. Reflector (par) bulbs have always seemed needlessly complex- replacing the reflector along with the bulb is a waste. Did you price out an option that uses non reflector bulbs with new baffles?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 AM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I posted this earlier in "Green Living," but no one replied, so perhaps this forum will be a better venue:

I have about 25-30 PAR38/R40 recessed cans at my house. They are currently burning a mix of 90 Watt PAR38 and 100 Watt R40 lights. And they are on about 8 hours a day.

I don't care for CFLs as every CFL PAR38 bulb I have tried had three major problems -- they took a long time to reach full intensity, gave off horrible light quality (even ones claimed to be 2700K) and died A LOT sooner than the claimed lifespan.

I am considering replacing the current PAR38/R40 halogen/incandescents with LED lights. While the latter are quite expensive ($40-50 per bulb, so I am looking at $1500 max), I like several of the benefits such as more rapid warm up to full intensity (.25 to .5 second as I understand), lower energy consumption and better color quality than CFLs.

I have two questions to anyone out there who might be knowledgeable about such bulbs. First, how do LED lights compare in quality to halogen? The ones I found have CRI of 85 (both 2700K and 3000K). Obviously halogen has 100 while the CFLs I tried in the past had 80-82. Will they seem "pretty close" to halogen and substantially better than CFLs in terms of light quality? Jump from CRI 80-82 to 85 doesn't seem like much.

Second, lumens. Most 90 Watt PAR38 Halogen equivalent LEDs (18 Watts) seem to have considerably fewer lumens than the halogen (around 1300 lumens vs. 850-1000 lumens). I may have to up the wattage in my LEDs to around 19-24 watts to achieve 1300 lumens plus. Is that safe in recessed can meant for 90 Watt PAR38 halogen/100 Watt R40 incan? I am asking whether the spikes/heat with LEDs pose any danger when exceeding "equivalent" figures.

Some additional questions:

The LED bulbs I am considering are:

19-watt - LED - PAR38 - 3000K Warm White - Flood and

24W LED PAR38 Flood | Lighting Science DFN38WWV2FL120.

Any thoughts/advice?

Also, is there much difference between 2700K and 3000K LEDs in terms of color spectrum? I do not want "bluish" light.
led lamps don't need as many lumens for the same foot candles because the light is more focused in one direction.

conventional lamps lose alot of light to the sides and upward into the can. led's do not so you can have more light on the ground with less lumens.

the bluish look is around 4100k so 2700-3000 won't look that way.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM

My main concern is light quality (CRI) rather than brightness (lumens). I read that LED quality is much closer to halogen/incan than CFL. Yet CFL is around 82 CRI and LED is around 85. So I am wondering whether a CRI improvement of 3 makes really that much of a difference.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Once you get away from incandescent forms of illumination and arc lamps, color temperature and light quality are horrid approximations at best. Sad to say, about the best full spectrum light I have ever seen comes from the old doped carbon arcs used in movie theatres. The rare earths added to them make them a no-go today. Second in line are the hp xenon shrouded short arcs. Only then do we get to halogens and full wattage classic incandescents. With CFLs, approximations have to be made with mixing phosphors, but those result in peaks at certain colors and valleys elsewhere. LEDs are somewhat similar although not quite as spikey.

Bottom line, if you have artwork or are sensitive to variations in color, anything less than halogen is not going to be fully satisfactory. Read that line again. There is no way to properly display color artwork with CFL or LED (unless, I suppose, that the artist painted it under such light).

We have some can lights. I have a love/hate relationship with them. They look decent, do the job, but raise issues with insulation and insects, and will kill most CFLs on short order. The ONLY reflector CFLs that I have ever had that held up are the Philips brand. Even with those, a percentage will fail early, but the bulk will last for years. Color is an issue.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bottom line, if you have artwork or are sensitive to variations in color, anything less than halogen is not going to be fully satisfactory. Read that line again. There is no way to properly display color artwork with CFL or LED (unless, I suppose, that the artist painted it under such light).
So in your view LEDs and CFLs are not all that different in light quality? I was hopeful about LEDs because I have seen a number of reviews that suggest LEDs are a substantial improvement in light quality from CFLs.

See this review with nifty photos of the respective color spectrum: How do LED lightbulbs compare to CFL and incandescent? | JasonMorrison.net

Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
In my view, neither are sufficient for art, and there are enough tell-tales that I can generally notice differences. I don't care for that spectral examination on the site you provide. There are industry standards and that is more a consumer gloss.

Very rarely on the net, I run across someone who simply knocks a subject out of the park consistently, to the point that I don't even bother to cross reference and do checking of the statements. One of those people is Don Klipstein. Don's homepage! Go there, browse around. If Don says something different than what I'm saying, follow his advice.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Thank you for all the information!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,264 times
All I can add is ain't government wonderful! They tell us what lightbulbs to ues, what to eat, and regulate us to death. They take our hard earned dollars, devalue them and give them away to foreign governments that hate us. They will not be happy until we are back to a sun up, sun down existence. Raw foods and no cooking allowed. Not sure what they will allow us to wear. No fur.

Back to the forest. Live under a leaf. The 25th century won't look like Star Trek. It will resemble 1,000,000 B.C.

Gets down off soap box as the government guy is taking it away as it was not made with recycled wood.
Sits on the ground and chews on a soylent green bar.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM

106,704 posts, read 108,880,922 times
I was at a demo last week of the philips ones and they looked darn good. Excellent color
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House