Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So you're using a spray paint? Hows that versus brushing?
Like most people I hate to paint, but like doing things myself. About 10 years ago I had to paint my old house, so I bought the airless for $300. It is way faster, but takes longer to cover everything and clean up. Advantages are no brush marks, or texture from the roller. No waiting for the cut in to dry before rolling. I painted the entire closet, ceiling, and walls in less than 20 minutes, and 2nd coat was about 10. However, I spent 20 minutes outside cleaning the spray rig, and paper, plastic, and tape is not cheap.

Bottomline: Brush & roller is okay for interior, but spray produces a nicer finish. I would never brush exterior eaves. You can rent the rig, but I like owning it, because I'm not pressed to return it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Day 5

Kind of a slow day waiting for tomorrow to get my free interest at Home Depot on the floor. Had about 3" of snow this morning though, but most is already gone this time of year.

I started by cleaning the plug cover plates and getting them back on. Then I cut the bottoms of the door casings for clearance of the new floor. I put the pole and shelve brackets back in the closet, and finished with the Faux Wood Levolor I bought last year when I did my office. They were the same size opening, so I got them both at that time. The shade was a 64", so i had to modify it and cut the excess off the bottom. Almost forgot, I touched up the pin holes I missed prior to painting.

Looking forward to the better weather coming, so I can get the cars out of the garage to free up my saw table for the floor.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Day 6

Another lazy day. We had snow in the am, so I waited until it dried up, so I don't have to wash my truck. Went to Home Depot about 10:30 and picked up the floor, bundle of base, and a ceiling fan. Came home and brought the floor in and put up the ceiling fan. Nice to have light back in the room. All total we spent about $650, but I'll have base left over for when I tackle my living room and hallway last.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, so I can take the cars out of the garage. I need to clean up in there first due to the cold Winter, and get my table saw, and sabre saw setup, and clean off my chop saw table.

Weather guy said we are to be in the high 60's by Monday. The benefits of living at 5100' in the high desert.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
What a difference a coat of paint can make!!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
What is that you are using for the floor? What color is the walls now, a yellow of sorts? Looks good so far.

I have carpet over hardwood in the room I will be doing. Carpet has to be replaced but given that I think they ruined the hardwood with a tone of nails/staples, and that it makes the floor colder, I'll probably just get new carpet.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I bought the airless for $300. It is way faster, but takes longer to cover everything and clean up. Advantages are no brush marks, or texture from the roller. No waiting for the cut in to dry before rolling.
How wide of a stripe do you paint when you cut in? It seems like some of the spray would accidentally mist onto the ceiling, baseboards, etc.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
What is that you are using for the floor? What color is the walls now, a yellow of sorts? Looks good so far.

I have carpet over hardwood in the room I will be doing. Carpet has to be replaced but given that I think they ruined the hardwood with a tone of nails/staples, and that it makes the floor colder, I'll probably just get new carpet.
The color is a Kelly Moore 1650 White Acoustic, but the product is Glidden Pro. It was the base color for the homes in my tract. The floor is just a Pergo laminate. My house isn't worth a whole bunch, and I just don't want to spend the extra money on a hardwood for bragging rights.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
How wide of a stripe do you paint when you cut in? It seems like some of the spray would accidentally mist onto the ceiling, baseboards, etc.
It has about a 10 or 12" fan pattern, and you spray both sides of an angle. If I was to paint walls another color I would spray ceiling, door casings, and window sash with base color, and brush and roll walls.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Day 7

I got out in the garage about 9:00 am and started moving cars and cleaning up. Once setup, I figured out how big my border pieces should be and ripped those first. Once I have the first 3 rows down I look real hard at alignment. Got about halfway and took a little Famous Dave's leftover rib break. Finished up, and in the house by 2:00 with the car back in the garage. Now I've got to paint the base before I put it on. Get it mailed on and the transition in place and it should be ready to move in.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 PM

Day 8

Another slow day, I put the door transition piece down, and got the base pre-painted. Tomorrow, I'll get it nailed on, and start the putty, and caulk process.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House