Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times

Advertisements

Great work.

That floor looks pretty nice actually. I nay go with that over replacement carpet or new hard wood.

Though I'm not sure if I could install it directly over existing hardwood floor since it would then not be flush with the hardwood outside the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Wow. It's looking really nice.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Day 9

Thanks for the kudo's folks, but having new material and a small amount of know how makes it almost fun. Been a while since I've been on my knees so much though.

Started this am nailing on the base. Compared to having to cope solid oak years back this MDF is good stuff. My scarf joints are 30 degrees, and so are the closet terminations. Inside corners are 45's that you get to caulk to hide all ill's and no shims.

The base was pre painted so I only put tape on the floor where i'll be doing touch up. I spackled the nail holes after using a punch to make sure all are set. Then I caulked where the base meets the gypsum wallboard, and all joints. I'll let it dry untill morning and the paint.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
Looks so nice!
I wish I could get MY husband to put our base boards on!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Day 10

Yeah, I know I'm slow, but good things come to those who wait. I started this morning doing the paint touch up to the base. Went out and did our Tuesday shopping, and came home and pulled up the painters tape. Hung the closet bypass doors, and I'm calling the remodel complete. I'll give you folks a shot once the furniture is in, but the construction part is done and I'm satisfied. So is my wife, which is the most important!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Looks a lot brighter than that first pic. Carpet was horrid, glad you got rid of it.

I notice you have texture on your walls. I stopped by the thread to see what you did, because while I don't know half the words you said, I love watching remodeling like this. Also, I wanted to see everything you had to do so that when I have to conquer some walls, I will have a better idea.

The walls in one bedroom of the house have wall paper underneath that was then painted over. It sounds horrid but it's actually neat because it brings out a nice texture like I see on your walls.

Unfortunately, the cats also enjoy that texture so now I have to repair all of that. SIGH! It's a dang good thing those cats are cute because man...

You didn't strip any wall paper off, which I will have to do, but you did give some basics on what to do for getting the walls ready when that paper is finally off.

Can you rent sanders from Home Depot? Would you use a sander on a wall or would you do it by hand? I will have to spackle a LOT and will have to sand...so would like to know which is better. And do you just have to do one layer of spackle and sand it down or do you have to do more layers?

I like the idea of spray painting, that's cool, I'm going to look in to that when the time comes...rent the thing, of course.

Anyway, great job. I'm not a fan of white walls but that room definitely improved from the monstrosity it was before.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Looks a lot brighter than that first pic. Carpet was horrid, glad you got rid of it.

I notice you have texture on your walls. I stopped by the thread to see what you did, because while I don't know half the words you said, I love watching remodeling like this. Also, I wanted to see everything you had to do so that when I have to conquer some walls, I will have a better idea.

The walls in one bedroom of the house have wall paper underneath that was then painted over. It sounds horrid but it's actually neat because it brings out a nice texture like I see on your walls.

Unfortunately, the cats also enjoy that texture so now I have to repair all of that. SIGH! It's a dang good thing those cats are cute because man...

You didn't strip any wall paper off, which I will have to do, but you did give some basics on what to do for getting the walls ready when that paper is finally off.

Can you rent sanders from Home Depot? Would you use a sander on a wall or would you do it by hand? I will have to spackle a LOT and will have to sand...so would like to know which is better. And do you just have to do one layer of spackle and sand it down or do you have to do more layers?

I like the idea of spray painting, that's cool, I'm going to look in to that when the time comes...rent the thing, of course.

Anyway, great job. I'm not a fan of white walls but that room definitely improved from the monstrosity it was before.
Wall paper is a completely different animal. Yes, my home has what's called a medium spray knock down texture. Your wallpaper doesn't have to come off unless you want it too. Cut loose any areas without solid attachment, and paint the wall(s) with a sealer primer. Failure to use a sealer primer can lead to adhesion problems. Hire a professional to skim your walls and sand them smooth. The skimming process is a learned art, and takes years to become fully qualified. The walls must be skimmed a minimum of 3 costs with a light scuff from a sanding sponge in between using a topping compound. I personally do 4 coats, so the finish is that much nicer.

Sometimes it is just better to float over wallpaper than to tear the face paper from the gypsum board during removal. Let the finisher decide which method may be better in your application.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Day 11

The room is complete and back together waiting for that next guest. I'm going to get a small flat screen TV, and run a cable out to my satellite dish so they'll have Directv. I'm pleased even with my old left over furniture.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
MrWillys, you did an amazing job! In general, I am not a fan of Pergo but I think it looks great in that guest room.

I wish I were 1/10th as handy as you!!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times
Nice job. You are good!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House