Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I'm envious, I often see a male and 2 females hanging around my yard, I've never seen a whole flock. I love birds.
Me too! I've only ever seen 2 or 3 together. A flock would have been amazing!

And yet some people would rather see a wall. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
My garden and fruit trees, woods going down to the valley, my chicken coop and, about a mile away and down a couple hundred feet, the edge of a huge lake. I can just see the shop and the solar PV panels off to the west. The edge of a neighbor's house, about 3/4 of a mile to the SE.

The entire south wall of my kitchen is windows to take advantage of the views and let in light - no upper cabinets on that wall. There is an arbor the covers the narrow deck outside the kitchen (the narrow deck links the big deck off the great room and the big deck off my office) and in the summer the arbor is covered by shade cloth to keep direct sun out of the kitchen. It is still very light, but the shade cloth keeps the room cooler without really cutting down on light.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

I've been watching our hummers for 5 years and have never seen one pee!
Forgot to mention in my original post something we see from the kitchen window only in June:
We live in a log home. From the kitchen window we can see an exterior wall where there's a small gap under the roof where the log doesn't extend all the way over. In May-June, a pair of bluebirds nests there. From the kitchen sink window we can watch the parents feed the babies and sometimes see the fledgings' first flights as they teeter on the edge of a log.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Curious, I am.
Do people REALLY spend time gazing out their kitchen sink windows?
Or is it more the case that "everybody else has one, so I do, too."? I personally find that the kitchen sink + window is a waste.
I certainly cannot speak for other members concerning the desirability of a kitchen window, but for myself I find them highly desirable and it has nothing at all to do with anyone else having one. I grew up in a home which did not have a kitchen window over the sink, so as the saying goes...you can't miss what you've never had.

Since I have had my first apartment and subsequent homes I have always had a kitchen sink window. I enjoy the natural light which a window above the sink allows into the kitchen area. Most times I enjoy the view as well.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM

281 posts, read 712,652 times
Wow, I feel like the only one living in town! I see a fence, my neighbors house, a fence, another neighbors house, a fence . . . well you get the idea!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My feeling is that the only things we put in a dish drainer are things too large for the dishwasher. I couldn't close the doors on the dishdrainer closet with big old pots and pans and bowls in there.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A flock of cardinals have been living in my neighbor's yard for years. It's amazing to see them fly through my yard. Prior to this, I rarely saw even one.
Does your neighbor feed them?

Cardinals, like all seed eating birds, are attracted to certain types and have favorites. We get more when we put out sunflower seeds.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Does your neighbor feed them?

Cardinals, like all seed eating birds, are attracted to certain types and have favorites. We get more when we put out sunflower seeds.
Nobody purposely feeds them. I think it's because the neighbor's yard provides perfect nesting area and our yard ad other surrounding yards provide the food. The neighbors have an incredible amount of lilac bushes for nesting and cover, along with fencing. (They also have wild ducks that migrate to their swimming pool each summer.) Our house and the neighbors across the street provide the perfect diet with our large gardens. We have huge flower and vegetable gardens and a large variety of fruit trees. Now that you mention it, I'm a sunflower fanatic. I don't just grow a few of them. I have mass plantings of every variety of sunflowers.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Nobody purposely feeds them. I think it's because the neighbor's yard provides perfect nesting area and our yard ad other surrounding yards provide the food. The neighbors have an incredible amount of lilac bushes for nesting and cover, along with fencing. (They also have wild ducks that migrate to their swimming pool each summer.) Our house and the neighbors across the street provide the perfect diet with our large gardens. We have huge flower and vegetable gardens and a large variety of fruit trees. Now that you mention it, I'm a sunflower fanatic. I don't just grow a few of them. I have mass plantings of every variety of sunflowers.
I've read cardinals like shrubbery. I'm going to put out more sunflower seeds this year, my pet birds don't eat very many of them, I can just take them from their food.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
From the kitchen sink, I look across the dining 'room' and living 'room', to a giant floor-to-ceiling window overlooking downtown. I think they call it something like a curtain window or glass curtain? (I live in a very open concept high-rise. Not everyone's cup of tea, I know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House