Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times

Advertisements

I hate my florescent light in my kitchen which appears to need new ballast again. I've decided that I want to put in recessed lighting - a total of 8 cans, two of which will be centered over the island and on a separate electrical line (which will need to be installed)

I'm having a very hard time getting electricians to return my calls, perhaps they think it's too small of a job? I've only gotten one contractor to come out and his estimate for the work is:

$1629.40 for 8 6" H7 lights w/ standard trim & BR30 lamps
$219.49 to install the switch leg wire for island lights
$199.60 to install a 4" H99 light with par 20 lamp over my sink (ugly fixture there now)

$128.24 to relocate the fixture over my kitchen table about 8 inches (it's not centered)
$125 for permit fees

for a grand total of $2300 and change (plus tax)

I'm located in Hunterdon County in west central NJ. Does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
What's above the kitchen- living or attic?

All sounds reasonable- but, depending on the answer to the above question I think the price for the cans is a bit high. $200 a pop!?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the response K'ledgeBldr. Living area is above the kitchen, he told me the cans would be installed from below and they'd poke a wire through the ceiling to confirm location of them.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I've decided that I want to put in recessed lighting...
I'm having a very hard time getting electricians to return my calls...
Because the fixture installation & wiring is the LEAST part of that project.

Removing the old fixtures doesn't require an electrician.
Removing the rest of the old drywall ceiling doesn't require an electrician.
Installing and finishing the new drywall ceiling doesn't require an electrician.

The carpenter will bring in HIS guy for the hour or two when he's ready for him.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
FYI: I believe my recessed lighting cans were $100 each installed, although this was for new construction. The light fixtures (from what I can tell on Amazon.com are like $20-$40 each.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
They make cans that can be retro fitted into a ceiling. Since the kitchen is between living spaces, insulation is not a factor. The hard part would be to connect the wiring to all the cans. I believe there is a limit on how many you can link together (that limit may be more than you need).

Juno 6" IC Remodeling Recessed Light Housing - #41549 | LampsPlus.com

I've seen trims for as little as $7, so you'd be looking at as little as $28-35 for each unit. Trims can vary a lot, so I'd do some research to see what you might like. One thing to consider is pendant lights over the island. Also instead of moving the kitchen table light, look at getting a new fixture that you can swag to the correct position. That way, if you re-position the table (or get a new one), it's easily moved to be centered again.

I personally, am comfortable to do the work myself. The only question is how much you are allowed to do without permits and a licensed electrician. I'd guess you can change fixtures out yourself.

Be aware, you may not get the fixtures exactly where you want them. Without knowing the structure, there could be a beam that sits right where you want the cans to go. If you can't live with moving them 6" one way or the other, consider going with a surface mounted fixture, like a track light:

George Kovacs P4305 5-Light GK Lightrail® LED Monorail Lighting Kit - Lighting Universe

Browse through some of the lighting sites to see what appeals to you.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The hard part would be to connect the wiring to all the cans. I believe there is a limit on how many you can link together (that limit may be more than you need).
I specifically asked if 8 cans could be linked together safely, he assured me they can.

Quote:
I've seen trims for as little as $7, so you'd be looking at as little as $28-35 for each unit. Trims can vary a lot, so I'd do some research to see what you might like.
the estimate includes standard trims - I'll be sure to ask to see exactly what that is.

Quote:
One thing to consider is pendant lights over the island.
this is exactly what i am planning, however, i'm having cans installed over the island so that i can use those recessed lighting pendant conversion kits and switch between the two options.

Quote:
Also instead of moving the kitchen table light, look at getting a new fixture that you can swag to the correct position. That way, if you re-position the table (or get a new one), it's easily moved to be centered again.
the table is new, so we won't be getting one anytime soon, and it is in a location that will not be changed. he did mention that when he moves it, we should be able to find a medallion that will cover the spot where it was originally located.

thanks for all the info!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post

the table is new, so we won't be getting one anytime soon, and it is in a location that will not be changed. he did mention that when he moves it, we should be able to find a medallion that will cover the spot where it was originally located.
Are you sure you want a medallion located off center above your table. Personally I think that would look worse than the light being off center.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Are you sure you want a medallion located off center above your table. Personally I think that would look worse than the light being off center.
I agree, it would look awful. I believe he was talking about an elliptical medallion, but regardless, i do not want to use one. personally, I don't even like the look of them on any fixture. He mentioned it as an option, but I'm not in favor of it. I'll simply patch and repaint the drywall ceiling instead.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I believe the light is off center now-
If it were centered there would be a hole from the old location. So, instead of repairing the d/wall just cover the hole with a medallion that is on the "centered" location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House