Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 11,718 times

Advertisements

We hired a contractor to remodel our house, in the end it turned out ok, except that he built a small ad on in the kitchen (around 4 x12 feet of ad on). The ad on has no crawl space, the construction document called for a concrete slab, however the contractor said he thought the floor would be too stiff and so he poured a footing and installed joists, right from the get go the joists were squeaking. We told him many times that they better not squeak. So he glued and screwed the joists as best he could and they stopped squeaking. Now 8 months later the floor is squeaking again. Now there is no crawl space, and the new hardwood floors are stained with oil. Which would mean the floors in the whole house would have to be screened and restained if we ripped up the floor in the kitchen to fix the squeak. Does anyone have any good ideas for a solution to this problem?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,305,175 times
This is a tough call. Sounds like he violated the contract documents, but with what sounds like your blessing. Make him come back and do it right, or redo floor with the proper sealant that won't shrink and squeak.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Ya I can't say I was unaware that he was going to use a footing over the slab. It just sucks, cause it'll be around 5-6k just for a squeak. On the other hand is it that hard to build an ad on so that the floor doesn't squeak? thanks for your feed back MrWillys.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Fixing a squeaky floor from above:
Hardwood. The Counter-Snap Kit ($8) provides an effective, nearly undetectable way to stop squeaks in hardwood floors. The kit comes with a screwdriver bit, depth-control fixture and 25 breakaway screws. But, unlike the Squeeeeek-No-More system, the screwhead automatically snaps off when you drive the screw into the depth-control fixture. Start by boring a 3/32-in.-dia. pilot hole through the floorboard nearest the squeak. Next, put a screw through the depth-control fixture and into the pilot hole. Drive in the screw until it snaps off below the surface of the wood. To conceal the screw, fill the pilot hole with wood putty. It may not be possible to silence every squeak in your home, but with the techniques described here, you can certainly cut down the chatter to an occasional chirp. Hardwood floor 1. After locating the squeak, bore a 3/32-in.-dia. pilot hole through the hardwood flooring; it isn't necessary to hit a joist below. 2. Set the Counter-Snap's depth-control fixture over the pilot hole. Drive the screw down until it bottoms out and automatically snaps off. 3. Fill the pilot hole with tinted wood putty. Allow it to dry, then lightly sand the spot. You can also use a crayon-type putty stick.
Google This Old House...
Fixing a Squeaky Floor | Wood Floors | Flooring | This Old House - 3

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the idea, but it's the joist that's squeaking not the overlay. I think I need to figure out how to secure the joist.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,509,637 times
How have you determined that it is the joist that is squeaking?

The area where the joists are connected to other framing would be out under the wall. It is unlikely that you would hear a squeak coming from there. If it is where the addition attaches to the house, you apparently have wood framing in the original house, which would explain the reason for the wood framing rather than a concrete slab in the addition.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM

rrtechno - here's a few photo's of the framing.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10143...55888886169425

The joists were squeaking from the start, I could put my foot on one a gently push on it and it would squeak. Then he put the plywood down and still the same result. He pulled the plywood off and I think he then screwed and glued the joist to the header, and then I think he screwed/glued down the plywood. That stopped the squeaking. Now eight months later it started again. The squeaking is beside the island in front of the patio door. It may not be the joist but I think it is.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
I see no hangers on the joists- that would be my first clue! Nor do I see an exterior band (rim band/joist). There's are probably several more issues that are contributing squeaks also.

But, first and fore-most I wouldn't have framed it that way. But at this point, that neither here nor there.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM

So I guess there would be no fixing this if it is the joist, short of tearing apart the whole kitchen... or selling the place.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher777 View Post
So I guess there would be no fixing this if it is the joist, short of tearing apart the whole kitchen... or selling the place.

Lets clarify one thing- it's probably NOT the joist. As in the joist itself; the actual piece of lumber. What is causing the squeak is deflection of the joist. That deflection, or movement is acting upon another piece of wood, or the nails that are "securing" it in place.

So, to answer your question-
Based on the pictures you provided, I'd say to properly eliminate the problem would envolve almost complete disassembly of the floor structure. Or at least partial disassembly at the source of the squeak. But if the whole floor system is built the same way- who's to say another spot (squeak) won't raise it's ugly head?

At this point it's probably something that you'll have to live with.

Again, this is based on what I see in the pictures you posted- but without an actual physical inspection, it could be considered pure conjecture at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House