Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new home and on walk through noticed the nice fresh paint everywhere. What we didn't notice is that the idiots used latex semi-gloss over exisiting oil paint on ALL the trim in every room through the whole house. As can be expected, we can peel the new paint off with a fingernail

Other than stripping, sanding and repainting, does anyone know of a way to fix this nightmare? Its a 3,100 sqft house!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Ah that's the work of the cheap painter that "underbid" other painters so the owners hired that one. Or, they were the typical "I can do that myself" types. I am not sure if yo have any recourse with this previous owner, might be worth a call to your realtor or attorney to find out. get a couple of reputable painting contractors in to give you a written estimate on the work needed.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
I wonder if those cheapo painters are the same ones that painted my friend's mother's house before it was put up for sale. After they painted, we went over to help with last-minute vacuuming, etc. I opened one of the windows only to discover that the painters had painted with the windows SHUT...and the lower sash had a strip across the bottom that was NOT painted because the window had been closed. Idiots!

Old 04-16-2011, 03:13 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
We just bought a new home and on walk through noticed the nice fresh paint everywhere. What we didn't notice is that the idiots used latex semi-gloss over exisiting oil paint on ALL the trim in every room through the whole house. As can be expected, we can peel the new paint off with a fingernail

Other than stripping, sanding and repainting, does anyone know of a way to fix this nightmare? Its a 3,100 sqft house!

Thanks
It's a new house - go to the builder.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Reminds me of our friends who used white latex over this gawd-awful dark reptilian green oil based paint in their bathroom. A few months later it started to look like the Hulk was breaking though the walls....

And they LEFT IT that way....

Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Is the existing oil paint glossy? If it is a new house, why are they repainting the trim? Is the oil based material primer?

Latex over oil based primer is not uncommon. We have used it or had it used with good results. There is a trick to it the reqruies tming, but I do not remember what that is. Maybe you have to topcoat immediately, or maybe you need to wait a certain amount of time. I Forget which, but it cna be done successfully. IN fact, it was recommended to us by a very professional painter.

I have also painted latex over old glossy oil based paint (some of it lead based paint). It can be done, but prep can be a bear. They have "deglosser" but it does not always work. Sometimes you just have to sand and sand and sand and sand and sand and sand . . . .

If they painted latex over glossy paint wihtout adequate preparation, then no, there is nothing you can do but strip it and repaint. Frankly if the paint is peeling, the only solution is to remove it. Anyhitng you put over it will only adhere to the top coat and will peel as well. Unless the trim is something special, it will probably be cheaper and easier to just replace the trim and start over. If it is a new house, the trim is likely MDF and will cost very little to replace.

Speaking of MDF some of it comes pre-coated with a hard surface that could be mistaken for oil based semigloss. You should be able to paint latex over it with no problems. Maybe they used defective paint. If you use that, you actaully do not need to paint it at all as long as you can find exact matching paint to touch up the joints. We have some of that MDF that we never got around to painting. My daughter went over som eof the joints with white out. Not a recommended solution, but 90% of people would never see the joints.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It's a new house - go to the builder.
It is new to us not a new build. It is white latex paint over what appears to be old beige oil based semi-gloss. (The house was build in the early 80s). I've known of one case where someone painted latex over oil and the only way then was to strip, sand, prime and repaint. I'm hoping that there is a better solution. I will also be contacting our realtor on Monday. We closed just over 3 weeks ago and the trim, base boards and door trim are all peeling like a bad sunburn. Its coming off in sheets

Last edited by Va-Cat; 04-16-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
It is new to us not a new build. It is white latex paint over what appears to be old beige oil based semi-gloss. (The house was build in the early 80s). I've known of one case where someone painted latex over oil and the only way then was to strip, sand, prime and repaint. I'm hoping that there is a better solution. I will also be contacting our realtor on Monday. We closed just over 3 weeks ago and the trim, base boards and door trim are all peeling like a bad sunburn. Its coming off in sheets
Well that should make life a whole lot easier because there's no way to get paint to adhere to a coat of peeling paint.

I've had good luck with priming oil based painted trim, waiting a day and then going over it with latex paint.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Do you want the baseboards to be white? Because at this point, I'd probably just replace rather than trying to repaint, and any lumberyard or big box store that sells trim board these days has a pretty good selection of white trim & base products.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
Ughh...I made this horrible mistake before. It was our first home and I repainted the trim. I had completed all the bedrooms with no problems. I then moved onto the living room and hall. A week later the paint started peeling off on the door molding in the living room. I thought I had purchased bad paint. I called up my step father n law who is excellent with his painting skills. He had a good chuckle and told me what I did. He said that for some reason the bedrooms must have been changed over from oil to latex at some point but the living room had not. Honestly, I didn't even know there was a difference.

He told me to get fine grade sandpaper and work on it. Lucky for me I did in fact buy cheap paint and with a little rub of the sand paper, it started peeling off in sheets. I got it all off and because I had used the sand paper on it, my SFIL said that I should be good to go with latex now. I repainted and didnt have a problem after that. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House