Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times

Advertisements

No other way to describe it. Where the wall surround overlaps the tub, about 4 inches above the tub top, there seems to be some "orange" stuff that oozes out in spots occasionally. Easy enough to clean up so not a real issue....but....

Two years old. Installed in a new home. I assume it is some caulk/adhesive that was used but the orange color is faking me out.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
There is a type of bacteria that will grow in moist areas that looks pinkish/orangish. You should be able to Google it for more info and the exact name of the bacteria. It is pretty common and is found in a lot of bathrooms.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Think I found it.....Thanks

The other potential cause for orange buildup in your tub is serratia marcescens, a bacteria that is actually more reddish-pinkish in color. This bacteria is found in dust, human and animal waste, surface water or any damp location. It commonly occurs in pets' water dishes, shower stalls and tubs. If the bacteria finds its way into the human system numerous health problems may result including meningitis, eye infections, urinary and respiratory tract infections and wound infections.

Remove serratia marcescens by spraying it with a mixture of 1/4 cup of white vinegar for every cup of water used. Spray liberally on affected areas and scrub off with an old toothbrush or scrub brush. Other options include scrubbing with a 50/50 solution of chlorine bleach and water, and reducing the humidity in the bathroom by leaving the door open and turning on the bathroom fan. Keeping the lights on is another option in terms of reducing humidity. Scrub your tub regularly to keep the mold from coming back.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
You may have found out what it is-

The bigger question; what's causing it? And if it's coming from a tile wall pretty sure you have an extensive retiling job in your near future.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You may have found out what it is-

The bigger question; what's causing it? And if it's coming from a tile wall pretty sure you have an extensive retiling job in your near future.
The more I read about it and the more I look at it, the more I think it was/is not dripping down from the seal but was forming in small spots along the top edge of the tub and I assumed it was dripping.

Just have to be sure to spray the shower with a bleach based cleaner ocassionally. Only ever used Clean Shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House