Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, I will find someone and have it done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Although not to code, you can cut a trench in the drywall and run the wire through it. Then tape over the trench, mud sand and paint. However if anyone ever puts a screw in that wall, they will hit the wire. Although it is low voltage and amperage, and not likely to hurt anyone, it woudl ruin the wire to put a screw through it. You could also put a safety plate over the wire, but it would be pretty hard to make the safety plate disappear. I good drywall man could do it. For someone like me, it woudl take a lot of tries to get it right. I would also stick the safety plate down with adhesive. You do not want it to pop after you paint.

If you are lucky and the wire is 5" from the next stud, then it can be pretty east to just punch a new hole and move the wire over. However if the wire needs to penetrate the stud, then you have a mess. Also if your wire does not have 5" of slack, you will have a problem moving the thermostat. You could tie into the wire, but that might require an expose J- box. I am not sure whether that requirement applies to low voltage.

Personally, I would just to the trench and safety plate or tape method.

And yes, any handyman should be able to do this. Some will be better at figuring out less expensive alternatives than others. Some will just rip out the drywall and replace it.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I removed both the old programmable thermostat and the evaporative cooler controlers when I got a new furnace and central a/c. I had my nephew patch the whole where my evap cooler control was and just had the furnace guys install the new thermostat where the old one was in the hallway.

The new thermostat is one that lights up when the screen is touched, or it can be set to always stay backlit. I hated not being able to see information when passing through the hallway so I set it to always stay lit. Makes a great nightlight for late night trips to the bathroom, but the glow (although not that bright) shines right into the master, right where I'm sleeping. Wished I'd have thought about this when getting the new furnace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House