Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Awesome post!!!! Thank you for being as educated and informed as myself on this horrible issue that threatens the lives of us peace and freedom loving citizens. .
Absolutely the post of the decade, ds41 is well informed and educated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Envy is a terrible thing, you must learn to deal with your emotions, for the benefit of your own health. Don't get so paranoid and upset that it causes you stress because some people live a better lifestyle than perhaps you can afford..
I suggest you find a soothing hobby and stay away from starting threads just for the sake of starting arguments. 24 pages thus far in this thread and nothing has been gained by either side, which you were well aware of when you struck the first key...
Chill, life is good, be happy...
Many of us have been enjoying the thread. I'm glad you felt inspired share a condescending post. Very chill of you. Enjoy!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:01 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I do suggest that people here not give advice about constitutional law unless they know something about it (just like people shouldn't give people advice about how to fix their toilets if they don't how to fix toilets). I'm an experienced lawyer - and if what little I know about this stuff (I'm not a constitutional law expert - I just know a lot of the basics) could fill a large soda bottle - what most people know about this stuff isn't enough to fill a very small eye dropper. Robyn
Wow, a lawyer who doesn't like to debate hypothetical questions - now I've seen it all.

I am interested in an answer to how far HOAs can go. HOAs can limit or mandate certain standards of appearance. Some examples of free speech, not just signs, could come into conflict of those standards. What is allowed and who decides?

Personally, I'd rather live next to a nice, quiet family with an RV in their driveway, a couch on their porch and geraniums in a toilet in the front yard than a mean, loud family that yells and swears constantly but keeps their lawn mowed and their cars in the garage.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Wow, a lawyer who doesn't like to debate hypothetical questions - now I've seen it all.

I am interested in an answer to how far HOAs can go. HOAs can limit or mandate certain standards of appearance. Some examples of free speech, not just signs, could come into conflict of those standards. What is allowed and who decides?

Personally, I'd rather live next to a nice, quiet family with an RV in their driveway, a couch on their porch and geraniums in a toilet in the front yard than a mean, loud family that yells and swears constantly but keeps their lawn mowed and their cars in the garage.
That's one thing nice about the USA, we all have a choice. I only have a problem when someone:
A, Buys into an HOA and then complains about all the rules
B, Does not buy into an HOA and complains about the junk their neighbors leave in their yard (or other such nonsense)
C, Does not buy into an HOA nor live in one but complains about all the rules OTHERS live by like the OP.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM

61 posts, read 85,131 times
So, Donn2390. In your nice, clean, beautiful HOA, do your neighbors ask how you doing or what are you doing? Some people confuse the two.

They might also confuse envy with good spirited humor that also makes a point, but what can ya do? Even the 3 Stooges were misunderstood by some.

Sometimes people don't realize they have been made aware of an issue until an occasion arises that reminds them of their new information. They may or may not agree with the info, may not know whether they agree with it or not, or even how important the new info is - but they are aware of it.

Works for me. Not so much for you?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Prof. Paula Franzese wrote a column for The Star-Ledger in 2006. She is well known in real-estate, law and academic circles for her expertise in HOAs. Here is some of what she had to say:
Preying on residents' desires for security, stability and preservation of property values, homeowner associations have created privatized regimes of governing rules to regulate everything from architectural style, the color of one's shutters, the permissibility of pets, screen doors and basketball hoops to the posting of signs and the flying of flags.

Less than democratic participatory structures have produced, in many instances, the autocratic enforcement of these rules. Those who depart from governing strictures can be punished severely, subjected to onerous fines, costly litigation and even foreclosure. Homeowner associations finance litigious strategies with residents' money, paid into annual dues and fees.
This is a world where power tends to be stacked from the very outset of development in favor of the governing boards, where attorneys can brazenly call for dissenting homeowners to leave (no matter the absence, in some markets, of meaningful choice) and where a cadre of "professionals" providing obscure services get paid to oppose the rights of the very same homeowners who pay their bills.

How far can HOAs go? In most states, as far as they want. Even if there is some legislation that prohibits certain activities, there is no oversight to enforce it and the Board members know it. It can take years to get rid of a rogue BOD. People who believe it's simply a matter of voting them out at the next election are usually clueless rather than clued in. And for everyone that's happy with their HOA now, they are only one election away from disaster. Always. Or they're on the Board of Directors.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
That's one thing nice about the USA, we all have a choice. I only have a problem when someone:
A, Buys into an HOA and then complains about all the rules
B, Does not buy into an HOA and complains about the junk their neighbors leave in their yard (or other such nonsense)
C, Does not buy into an HOA nor live in one but complains about all the rules OTHERS live by like the OP.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
So now we know what you think about others and your size. Size 3? We duly take note. Thank you for your honesty.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
It is a fascinating question to ponder.

The New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that HOA's can't prohibit political signs.

Court Rules New Jersey HOAs Can't Ban Political Signs

These sort of rulings need to happen at the federal level to promote wide spread change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell55 View Post
How far can HOAs go? In most states, as far as they want. Even if there is some legislation that prohibits certain activities, there is no oversight to enforce it and the Board members know it.
Instead of being all doom and gloom about it, I'd like to figure out how far it can go before the law does change it.

Eventually, the law will change if it gets bad enough. Where will that line be?

Last edited by Hopes; 04-05-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: found link to story about NJ

Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
Why do people have to be so smarty back and forth...meow.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Many of us have been enjoying the thread. I'm glad you felt inspired share a condescending post. Very chill of you. Enjoy!
Why would you get upset over a post that stooped to your normal level? No one is enjoying this thread, it was intended to get people to argue, and it is successful in that. You were well aware that any post started about HOA's would bring an onslaught of arguments, one method of getting your post count up for those valuable prizes...
I stop by once in a while just for laughs at the extreme ignorance of people. Usually, the only thing dumber than the questions, are the replies...
Chat sites have replaced the party lines...
Other than that, I'm your biggest fan, I love you... Keep the faith...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House