Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Eventually, the law will change if it gets bad enough. Where will that line be?
The law won't change, nor should it. It's a free country and people choose to live in a restrictive HOA development, with full disclosure. Some people like that, some don't. Hence the choice and the real freedom of speech in choosing to not want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Why would you get upset over a post that stooped to your normal level?
I'm not upset.

Quote:
No one is enjoying this thread...
Actually, quite a few people are enjoying this thread, even through noise like this. Many want to know how far it can go. Others have thought it was entertaining because we did have some moments of silliness between real discussion and a few fights, but overall we've managed quite well.

Quote:
it was intended to get people to argue, and it is successful in that.
That's not true. It was intended to get people to think outside of the box.

Quote:
You were well aware that any post started about HOA's would bring an onslaught of arguments,
I'm not aware of that. I have rarely participated in HOA threads because I have never been interested in HOAs until I drove through those neighborhoods the other day The most you will find about me posting about HOAs is just a one or two posts saying "I wouldn't want to live in one," but I've never focused on one long enough to see people fighting.

Quote:
one method of getting your post count up for those valuable prizes...
Oh, that's what's bothering you. Like you, I've been here since 2007. I accumulated 98% of my posts prior to the contest I entered in the fall. I did it for fun. And guess what, I don't qualify to win other prizes based on the competition restrictions for previous winners. So, my high post count was accomplished long before prizes were available, and I am no longer eligible for prizes. What you see is what I've always been. Not ulterior motives here.

Quote:
I stop by once in a while just for laughs at the extreme ignorance of people. Usually, the only thing dumber than the questions, are the replies...
Chat sites have replaced the party lines...
Other than that, I'm your biggest fan, I love you... Keep the faith...
One of the reasons I won the prize is because people like you don't ruffle my feathers. I'm more than pleased that my ignorance is entertaining you. We're all here for different reasons. Thanks for sharing your reason.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
The law won't change, nor should it. It's a free country and people choose to live in a restrictive HOA development, with full disclosure. Some people like that, some don't. Hence the choice and the real freedom of speech in choosing to not want it.
But the law is changing. Check out the article about the NJ supreme court ruling that says HOAs can no longer forbid campaign signs.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My HOA has very few restrictions, nothing about what kind of flowers you can plant or anything trivial. But last summer when a new homeowner decided she was going to dump many truckloads of dirt in her front yard to make a dirt mountain (true story!] the HOA made her stop and then clean it up and restore her yard back to the original grade. She had also refused to mow, preferring the "natural" look, so the weeds in the rest of the yard grew up to three feet tall! The HOA took care of that as well.

Question for the non-HOA group: would you like it if your neighbor built a dirt mountain in their front yard?
A dirt mountain??????? Could it be she was trying to create a berm?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A dirt mountain??????? Could it be she was trying to create a berm?

Now this is a classic example of someone signing/agreeing to be a member of an HOA then feeling they can do as they wish. This type person is worse then those that say well to many restrictions so I am not going to buy there. At least those that do not buy, do not cause problems.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
May I just interrupt to ask what's the deal about screen doors? Do they ban them or do you have to have a certain type or you can't have it open? TIA.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My HOA has very few restrictions, nothing about what kind of flowers you can plant or anything trivial. But last summer when a new homeowner decided she was going to dump many truckloads of dirt in her front yard to make a dirt mountain (true story!] the HOA made her stop and then clean it up and restore her yard back to the original grade. She had also refused to mow, preferring the "natural" look, so the weeds in the rest of the yard grew up to three feet tall! The HOA took care of that as well.

Question for the non-HOA group: would you like it if your neighbor built a dirt mountain in their front yard?
Yeah, I agree it was likely a berm. A hill could be the height of a two story house. A mountain. Well, if they're claiming a mountain, they need to get out more.

About the lawn, if the neighbor saw well clipped lawns around her, she should have known something was up.

Interestingly, in some states where there are hoa governed communities with public roads controlled by the state DOT, the properties along there have a DOT easement of something like 30' from the center line both ways. So that could be several feet into a person's yard.

So you're not allowed to put in anything that cannot be easily dug into or easily pushed aside. In such areas a berm would require too much extra digging. But in those areas you can also let your grass grow and grow. You can park on that front strip where lawn meets road if you want to. (But not beyond that where the hoa restrictions would take over.)

And you can let DOT know you're letting your grass grow and want to be on their list for mowing. They come out and mow....about twice a year.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I've never lived with an HOA and my only personal experience with one was when I was visiting a friend in a gated community. I checked in at the gate and gave them the address where I was going. There were no speed limit signs so I assumed it was the usual 30mph. Wrong it was 20 and someone was doing a radar check before I found a speed limit sign. My friend was sent a 50 dollar ticket for that. Every time they turned around they were running up fines for something stupid. They hated the the area shortly after they moved in and wound up walking away from the house, unpaid fines and all. Another person I know did the same thing with their property and left behind their problems or so they thought. The HOA sued them and won. They had to pay back fees that kept going up and with every foreclosure in their complex. They live in another HOA housing area and love it. For 60 dollars a month they get a pool. I personally don't want to live in an HOA area. If we have nasty neighbors that's what the village idiots are supposed to take care of. (Sorry that's what I call them here where we live.) I prefer to live free or die, oh wait, isn't that New Hampshire's state motto? We are currently looking for some beach front property in Florida for an income investment and we will have to deal with the HOA. The thing that concerns me the most is if they decide to do a facelift on the property and ask everyone to cough up 50 to 100 thousand dollars. We have a friend that had 4 of them in one complex. Can you imagine what a disaster that could be? The other side of the coin is that they are great money makers because of the amenities.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
The thing that concerns me the most is if they decide to do a facelift on the property and ask everyone to cough up 50 to 100 thousand dollars. We have a friend that had 4 of them in one complex. Can you imagine what a disaster that could be?
I've always wondered what happens when the decide everyone should pay a huge amount of money for something like that. Some people just don't have access to that type of money, nor the ability to borrow it. Do they have to sell their house? Would anyone buy the house knowing that they needed to pitch 50k to the HOA as soon as they move there? Can they literally lose their house if they can't pay a crazy amount of money the HOA wants for building something? If so, that's a huge risk IMO.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 PM

61 posts, read 85,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've always wondered what happens when the decide everyone should pay a huge amount of money for something like that. Some people just don't have access to that type of money, nor the ability to borrow it. Do they have to sell their house? Would anyone buy the house knowing that they needed to pitch 50k to the HOA as soon as they move there? Can they literally lose their house if they can't pay a crazy amount of money the HOA wants for building something? If so, that's a huge risk IMO.
The laws regarding special assessments vary with each state. Some states allow the HOA corporation to make unlimited special assessments without homeowner notice or approval, if the governing documents also have this provision. Other states cap the amount of the special assessment that doesn't require approval and anything over that amount will require either a simple majority or super majority approval.

In all states (most likely) once the assessment is made, it becomes a contractual obligation and creates a lien against the owners property until paid.

So the simple answer to your question is yes, if state law allows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House