Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Seriously, just call the utility and ask if they have an efficiency expert that will come out and evaluate your home and usage to see where you can save or what the major change was caused by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
good points......
a couple of things i'm going to do now......turning down the water heater temp.....it's warm enough out.....(i turn it up and then back down every year....no change from last year).

good point about ' more laundry being processed". we just had twins and do laundry once a week as opposed to once every 3-4 weeks last year.....and i know that dryer sucks electricity like a freaking *&#%*& working at the *&$*&%$!
Only a man would ever admit that I could never go 3-4 weeks, I have little girls and they change clothes 3-4 times a day (school clothes, play clothes, then pajamas), plus I can't stand the smell of laundry if it sits around longer than a week.

Not only is more laundry being done, but the dishwasher is probably being used more often, if you're using it to wash bottles. And more warm water is being used for baths than before. Also, the house may need to be kept warmer on cold days than it was pre-baby. You may even be cooking more than you used to, since it's not as convenient to dine out with infants.

Still shouldn't account for your bill being that much higher though. Your electric company probably provides free energy audits, that would be a good thing to try.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
i'm glad it made you smile....but why?
because i said nothing changed and then said that the only thing that changed was a new HVAC system?

Because you kept saying that NOTHING has changed yet you:
- got new appliances as mentioned in your first post
- got a new HVAC system as quoted above

and now....

Quote:
good points......
we just had twins and do laundry once a week as opposed to once every 3-4 weeks last year.....and i know that dryer sucks electricity like a freaking *&#%*& working at the *&$*&%$!
yet another change, and quite the major one at that!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Because you kept saying that NOTHING has changed yet you:
- got new appliances as mentioned in your first post
- got a new HVAC system as quoted above

and now....

yet another change, and quite the major one at that!

i misspoke.......the "appliance" that changed was the HVAC, but i guess that's not really considered an appliance. (no other equipment in the house changed).

as far as the 'other' change which you noted as a major one, yes, i didn't think about it until someone pointed it out.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
OK so lets assume you do laundry once a week. How many loads? Was it 3 before and now its 10 loads? Plus hot water and the dryer?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
OK so lets assume you do laundry once a week. How many loads? Was it 3 before and now its 10 loads? Plus hot water and the dryer?
2 loads a week.
before it was 2 loads every 3 or 4 weeks.
We wash with cold/cold and yes, we use a dryer.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Learn to read your electric meter. Read it daily at the same time each day. See if you are using the amount on your electric bill divided by 30 each day. Or less each day, then a whole bunch on certain days. Figure out what was on during those "whole bunch" days.

Of if using that much daily, read the meter several times a day at the same times. Then try shutting different things off for awhile like the refrigerator. Place some ice in the refrigerator and it can be off for most of the day if you don't open the doors.

Search google.com for...

how to read your electric meter

And read this...
Kilowatt hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
2 loads a week!!! I need to know your secret. We have about 6 loads a week, and there are only 3 of us. We have a super capacity HD washer and dryer, and we have 1 large load of towels alone. Then there's the whites, work clothes, permanent press light/dark, it comes to at least 6 a week. Even before my son we had several loads a week. Please share you secrets.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
2 loads a week!!! I need to know your secret. We have about 6 loads a week, and there are only 3 of us. We have a super capacity HD washer and dryer, and we have 1 large load of towels alone. Then there's the whites, work clothes, permanent press light/dark, it comes to at least 6 a week. Even before my son we had several loads a week. Please share you secrets.
umm.....i don't have any secrets......i dry clean my suits and shirts......we wear our cloths a couple of times before they're put in the hamper....we don't wash the towels after each use.....not sure how you have a large load of towels each week! I personally have about maybe 4-5 underwear, 5 undershirts, 2 or 3 T-shirts for around the house, a pair of jeans maybe, and a few socks that need to be washed every week.....that's about it.
i guess i've never really thought about it.....but 6 loads a week means doing laundry almost EVERY day which seems a lot. the baby cloths are changed once a day or when dirty......but they're tiny so.....

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
umm.....i don't have any secrets......i dry clean my suits and shirts......we wear our cloths a couple of times before they're put in the hamper....we don't wash the towels after each use.....not sure how you have a large load of towels each week! I personally have about maybe 4-5 underwear, 5 undershirts, 2 or 3 T-shirts for around the house, a pair of jeans maybe, and a few socks that need to be washed every week.....that's about it.
i guess i've never really thought about it.....but 6 loads a week means doing laundry almost EVERY day which seems a lot. the baby cloths are changed once a day or when dirty......but they're tiny so.....
4-5 underwear a week??? We all change ours daily, and our socks too. I don't dry clean my work clothing. I just wash and iron myself. 3 people with towels even if we used them more than once which we do is still enough for a large load a week. We don't do laundry daily though. We have a marathon day on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House