Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine mentioned that while considering on buying a single family house, make sure I purchase a house on the same side of the street as the water main.
He said doing so prevents a $10K and up fee in case the plumbing between my house and the main go bad. If the water main is on the other side other street, they have to literally tear up the road to get to the problem. And then you have to fix the initial plumbing problem, AND the road that was torn up.

But, how do I know what side of the street the water main is on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
You could call the water department in your town or city...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Would you actually be responsible for paying for that repair? I would have thought the city would pay for repairs up to the house.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Nope, where I am city only pays for their stuff. Your hookup from the main to your house is all yours.

I agree with checking it out. My rental had the main on its side of the street and I immediately hooked it up, well as soon as I had the $3000, still have to pay for the pipe to the utilities, they ran it as some wells in the area were subject to contamination, mine was not one of them so hooking up was voluntary and had to be paid for.

The utility company also did a free contamination check of my well. I had it connected in such a way that the well can still be used for washing cars and gardening with 2 available outside spigots, and the house and a third spigot are connected to city water.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Really? You'd let a water main dictate what house to buy? Too many other things have a priority. Yeah, you could have a problem and have to dig it up, but many homeowners never, ever, have to do this.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
That sounds odd, what city are we talking about?

Maintenance or repair, After the meter it's all yours, before the meter it's the utility's problem.
If it as you say,then your home owners policy would cover it.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
That sounds odd, what city are we talking about?

Maintenance or repair, After the meter it's all yours, before the meter it's the utility's problem.
If it as you say,then your home owners policy would cover it.
Snofarmers right. My obligation begins at the meter to, and into my house. The water supplier would be responsible for the main, and up to my point of service. I'm sure there might be some extreme circumstances, but it's been that way in both homes I've owned.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Snofarmers right. My obligation begins at the meter to, and into my house. The water supplier would be responsible for the main, and up to my point of service. I'm sure there might be some extreme circumstances, but it's been that way in both homes I've owned.
I guess my lack of knowledge here is confusin me.
Water meter to your point of service? Where is the water meter ?

My understanding is that if the piping to the main needs to be dug up, the homeowner is required to pay the repair bill for the road rework. I think 10K is on the light side of a ball park estimate. I cant imagine the city donating 10-15K to fix the road that was torn up due to a plumbing issue with MY house.

Home owners insurance? I don't believe they cover this, as anyone with a mortgage in IL is required to have homeowners insurance on a mortgage.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Nope, where I am city only pays for their stuff. Your hookup from the main to your house is all yours.

I agree with checking it out. My rental had the main on its side of the street and I immediately hooked it up, well as soon as I had the $3000, still have to pay for the pipe to the utilities, they ran it as some wells in the area were subject to contamination, mine was not one of them so hooking up was voluntary and had to be paid for.

The utility company also did a free contamination check of my well. I had it connected in such a way that the well can still be used for washing cars and gardening with 2 available outside spigots, and the house and a third spigot are connected to city water.
This here (bolded) is what I understand the situation to be in IL.

But, as far as 3 spigots, I don't have enough knowledge to follow you there.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I guess my lack of knowledge here is confusin me.
Water meter to your point of service? Where is the water meter ?

My understanding is that if the piping to the main needs to be dug up, the homeowner is required to pay the repair bill for the road rework. I think 10K is on the light side of a ball park estimate. I cant imagine the city donating 10-15K to fix the road that was torn up due to a plumbing issue with MY house.

Home owners insurance? I don't believe they cover this, as anyone with a mortgage in IL is required to have homeowners insurance on a mortgage.
Somewhere on the property is a meter that counts water usage. The homeowner is typically only responsible from that point on into the home. The service provider (Widget city water company) is responsible for everything under the street up to and including the meter. Natural gas, and electricity would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House