Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 89,908 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We have a smaller kitchen with white cabinets and stainless steel appliances, and a light maple wood floor. What kind of tile would look nice? I lean toward the gray glass subway tile look but am open to suggestions that will make my kitchen look modern yet sort of "farmhouse chic". Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,496,250 times
Tile for where? Wall?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
A lot of designers these days are calling your style rustic modern. Get a catalog from West Elm and you'll see how popular this look is for whole house decor. The houzz.com website is one of the premiere places to go for kitchen ideas today. I put the term "rustic modern" into the search engine on their kitchen page and there are more than 50,000 photographs that are classified under that term. Some of them may give you ideas.
Kitchen Photos Rustic Modern Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

If you're into a very classic look, marble is clean and traditional to combine with white cabinets and wood floors. If you're on a budget, Home Depot has a bargain-priced Carrera look-alike that was featured on apartmenttherapy.com just a few days ago. By the way, I think there's a typo in that headline. They probably meant to call it "Grecian" marble not "Greecian."
Greecian White 12x12 Honed Marble Floor & Wall Tile | Apartment Therapy

I also saw this on apartmenttherapy.com. I think it's different and really cool. But I would think if you were going to use it for a backsplash you might want to seal it with something waterproof.
Magnetic Wooden Tiles | Apartment Therapy
AT's link to the company that makes these tiles doesn't work. Here are the additional details of the Brooklyn company that makes these stained wooden tiles. I have no idea what they cost. A black and white pattern would be simple but cool.
MOONISH

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,631,408 times
We have white cabinets, SS appliances and soapstone countertops, we also had a wood floor (changed that out to flagstone) We used marble blacksplash. I hate it. Would prefer white subway tiles.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,496,250 times
I am not a fan of subway tile. Just looks like a subway to me. We have a slate look ceramic tile 4x4, on the countertops. I like it.

At my rental i found an 8x8 terracotta color ceramic to use on a new eat in kitchen bar, and covered the old formica countertop with the same and it blends in perfectly with the saltillo look tile floor.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 65,717,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handstowardthesky View Post
Hello,
We have a smaller kitchen with white cabinets and stainless steel appliances, and a light maple wood floor. What kind of tile would look nice? I lean toward the gray glass subway tile look but am open to suggestions that will make my kitchen look modern yet sort of "farmhouse chic". Thanks!

You forgot the color of the countertop!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:03 AM

21 posts, read 89,908 times
Thanks! I LOVE West Elm so you hit the nail on the head, style-wise! I will look around!
And countertops are just a light gray formica. Nothing too fancy but not planning to change it for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House