Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,888,719 times

Advertisements

I recently replaced all of my carpet with wood and porcelain tile. I cannot tell you how much I love it, and only wish I had done it years ago.

It is also very good for resale values. At least in the real estate market I am in it seems everyone wants wood or tile. Carpet is very much out of favor here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 AM

775 posts, read 1,262,919 times
Hardwood, no question. Carpet holds onto trapped dirt and to me is kinda gross after a while. I have kids and pets. Hardwoods are SO easy to keep clean and just easier to maintain. Look better too IMO.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM

7,341 posts, read 6,964,915 times
Something spilled on a carpet is there for ever.
Wood floor seems to work out best in the long run.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Hardwood, no question. Carpet holds onto trapped dirt and to me is kinda gross after a while. I have kids and pets. Hardwoods are SO easy to keep clean and just easier to maintain. Look better too IMO.

Yep, I agree. One thing though, hardward or tile tends to make your house echoey and loud. Carpet dampens sounds. We have four kids and almost our entire house is tile or wood and I almost have to wear ear plugs.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,418,007 times
We use both.

LR is carpet. A slightly more formal area then the FR where the kids can play but not eat or drink and dog isn't allowed.

FR is wood (laminate). Higher traffic area coming in from outside, kids can eat their snacks and play.

For entertaining our style, we prefer the wood. A kid chasing the dog and the dog takes off with their legs moving 100 MPH but they're barely moving is just too fun to watch.

If it's over an unheated area and you live in a cold climate, carpeting of some sort will be much warmer on the feet.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,071,161 times
Hardwood is classier and cleaner. Carpeting is disgusting, it was a bad idea from the beginning. Tear out carpeting an a half dozen homes and see what it is like where you cannot normally see - you will never want carpeting again.

If sound it a problem, get area rugs they do the same thing as carpeting, but they can be taken out and cleaned, really cleaned, not just spruced up a bit on top.

Good rugs can be super expensive, but you find them on E-bay and other auctions for next to nothng (eg we got a rug for $350 that appraised for $8000 (not that you could sell it for $8,000, but the appraiser could back up that number if it was lost in a fire and you made an insurance claim). In a rug store new, they might ask $8000 for it, but their asking price is always high. One nice rug we bought new had a $4500 price on it. After some easy negotiation, it was $1500 and they threw in padding and a small (3'x6') matching rug as well.

However there are some people out there who still like carpeting, so it is all a matter of opinion. Use what you like best. If nto sure, try some of each in different rooms and then decide.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM

152 posts, read 459,320 times
I'm one of the minority that prefers carpeting in my family room. We had carpeted FR/LR in all my previous homes, and I miss it.

We currently rent a home that has wood laminate and ceramic tile all over the first level of the home, and while it's nice to easily clean up spills, it is not comfortable getting on the floor all the time with my toddler.

Yes, a good-quality area rug would help, but I spend a lot of time sitting/playing on the floor in my family room, and we don't wear shoes in our home, so carpeting is easier on my feet as well.

We are building a new home and will take the builder-grade base level carpet for now, with plans to upgrade to berber when it wears out (probably won't be too long with aforementioned toddler around!).

Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM

396 posts, read 1,857,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It doesn't matter what my preference is in your house. What's your preference?
I could go either way. I've lived in apartments for the last twenty years that pretty much have every room carpeted (except bath and kitchen). I'm looking to buy my first home. Many have large living areas in hardwood. I could live with the hardwood floors and maybe put down a rug or two.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:35 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,462,576 times
My Plano Tx home has handscrapped wood floors in the downstairs other than baths and utility room. I am very happy with it. Plan is to put hardwood upstairs next renovation phase. Noise hasnt been a problem and kitchen is doing fine with the wood. In Houston I put bamboo floors down that looked like oak or some other hard wood. It helped me sell my house super fast with the upscale, high end look yet renewable product. Houston bamboo is the wood for first floor due to moisture. Go Hardwood, it is the right long term value decision.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM

42,037 posts, read 75,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
I could go either way. I've lived in apartments for the last twenty years that pretty much have every room carpeted (except bath and kitchen). I'm looking to buy my first home. Many have large living areas in hardwood. I could live with the hardwood floors and maybe put down a rug or two.
In that case, find the house you love first, and hardwood floors second. Find an older house that has hardwood under the carpeting, if there's carpeting.

Because if the house has hardwood floors and you'd rather have carpeting, you get carpeting. If it has hardwood floors and you decide you prefer hardwood, you're good to go.

But if it doesn't have wood floors and you want them, then you have to install them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House