Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM

117 posts, read 256,746 times

Advertisements

True. I guess its not that big of a deal. Though, i think it would be nice to walk and actually have a destination to go to! Would be fun for the kids. I did join a meet-up group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
You don't say where you are, but if you're just coming out of a "real" winter give it a while. People will be out more as it gets warmer working in their yards, etc. Are your kids in school? Active in a church? You may have to look outside your cul de sac for the close friends you are seeking.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Hi,
We moved a few months ago. I think we're the youngest family in our neighborhood. We also are not in walking distance to anywhere. No sidewalk streets, either. I thought the warmer weather would bring people outside and not many people are out. I'm really bummed because I don't like it here. It's so hard to make new friends. I think I joined everything possible. People seem more to themselves here.

I talked to a neighbor and she said she's glad we're "gentrifying" the neighborhood. I didn't understand at first. But now I see what she meant. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

Anyone move to a new area you didn't like? How did you like it in the end? If at all?

Thanks.
The mrs and I are the youngest couple as well but we actually have the opposite problem. Moved to a completely different part of the country. People over here are 'friendly" as a way on prying into ones affairs; highly political. We keep to ourselves for the most part and stay clear of all the unnecessary drama & gossip that often pollutes the neighborhood.

In the summer, it takes me almost 2 hrs to mow a 30 minute lawn because of the constant interruptions some of these people are so bold that they shamelessly attempt to invite themselves over to my home. I off course decline.

I used to be super friendly....now, i'm just glad to be in the company of just my family and very close friends.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The second house my husband and I purchased was in an area where everyone was a senior citizen. lol. They were lovely neighbors but when we had our son, we knew it was going to be a while before anyone young moved in. We stayed about 6 yrs. I actually found it kind of sad to watch the neighbors passing on. It seemed like once a month there was an ambulance lighting up the midnight sky. Then the adult children of these people sold the homes for cheap and then the younger people started moving in but it wasnt a good change. The younger families didnt keep up the properties. how could an 80 yr old widow keep a spotless home and then the house sells to a 20 something and the grass never gets mowed.

Where we live now, we dont really care for the neighbors. Its a mixture of young and older people. They are odd. Either they are too pushy with their political/religious beliefs or act like you do not exist. There is one older couple that have a xmas party every year they invite everyone too. I have talked to neighbors at these parties and the next day, they wont even wave when they see you driving by. They about break their necks looking the other way. We love our house and lot. After many moves, in my experience its a pretty hard combo to come by having a lovely home and great neighbors. If you have found such a thing, be grateful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House