Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM

117 posts, read 256,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We moved a few months ago. I think we're the youngest family in our neighborhood. We also are not in walking distance to anywhere. No sidewalk streets, either. I thought the warmer weather would bring people outside and not many people are out. I'm really bummed because I don't like it here. It's so hard to make new friends. I think I joined everything possible. People seem more to themselves here.

I talked to a neighbor and she said she's glad we're "gentrifying" the neighborhood. I didn't understand at first. But now I see what she meant. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

Anyone move to a new area you didn't like? How did you like it in the end? If at all?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
They come out of their houses during power outages (no TV)!

If you have a front porch near the street, sit out there and say hi to people walking by. Every once and a while someone will stop and chat.

Also volunteer for things. Senior center - they are lonely and love to talk. Habitat for Humanity. Etc.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks, billy. I would do that, but we live on a culdesac. No one walks by. :-(

Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Sounds like you'll have to cut the power to your neighbors' houses then. That'll get them out!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM

233 posts, read 318,239 times
This was my life 5 years ago. Bought a townhouse in a nice area... Green space..bike paths..neighborhood pond and tot lot out front. Thought it was prefect for my family. Thought there must be tons of kids.... Nope. We were the youngest family and a bi racial famlily at that. Mostly original.owners.. Empty nesters. No kids... Actually had signs in the parking lots.. No playing alloud. But all in all.. Were fine. Most like our children.. Even leave xmas and bday gifts. Allot of people have sold since and new younger families have moved in. Hang tight itll be fine but it may take abit.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Is there a town community center with volleyball or other activities you could join?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,988,207 times
We were some of the youngest people in our old neighborhood. Mostly original owners who bought in the 1950's. We stayed there about 14 years and by the time we left, a lot of those people had died or moved into nursing homes and young families were moving in. You could really see the change with the bikes and trikes and kids toys in the yards and families taking walks after dinner. Awnings started to come down and siding was replaced with the "modern" narrow siding. Overgrown bushes and hedges were starting to disappear and new landscaping started to appear. I'd be interested to go back now, 5yrs later, and see it.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
We live in a very age-diverse neighborhood. It has always been that way. We were among the younger families 20 years ago. Our children had surrogate grandparents across the street and next door. They really loved our kids. One of them has died, but the other two are still kicking.

Now our children are young adults, and younger families have moved into the area. The young family across the street says we're the only people they talk to. That's really their fault. They never leave their yard. (We're very outgoing.) They have designated our house as the place their children are to go in case of emergency. Another young mother from up the street befriended me last year----introduced herself due to our common interest in gardening. We spend many mornings together having coffee or breakfast, and her children love to visit my house.

Next time you talk to a neighbor, invite her over for tea or whatever. You've got to put yourself out there and make the first move.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks, all. Does it take a long time for a neighborhood to turnover? I'm trying to meet people but it's hard. People keep telling us theyre so busy. Are you close with any of your neighbors? I would love to be close with one neighbor... It must be so nice to be able to walk to a friend's house anytime.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM

264 posts, read 606,203 times
Your situation sounds like mine! Our street is kind of evenly split between young families and not, but we still rarely see the kids outside, everyone seems to play only in their own backyard. Strangely, the friendly ones seem to be the patents without small kids. Although to be fair, maybe the parents of young kids don't get time to step out? I don't know. I just joined some meetup groups in the hopes of meeting new friends, did you try something like that? So what if they don't live at walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House