Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM

40 posts, read 192,440 times

Advertisements

It looks like I need a clean out installed at the street (and after I just paid for a clean out to be installed near the house too.) The city will do the installation but I am responsible for the excavation 4' long and 3' wide. Depth undetermined but could be up to 6' exposing half the pipe. The hole absolutely must be exactly 3' wide at the top and the bottom and (according to the flyer) must be shored in compliance with OSHA requirements.

The guys that did my other clean out suggested that it would be cheaper for me to hire someone else to dig this. If anyone has experience with something similar how much should I expect to pay to have someone dig a hole? I would really rather not pay the sewer line repair guys to dig a hole if I have a cheaper option but I am not sure who that would be or for that matter the risks of the cheaper option.

I'm disabled so digging it myself is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Any pipeline excavating company will know exactly what to do and how to do it. Even a general excavating company will know what to do.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Ask the city department for a list of qualified contractors who could do the job. Maybe they can tell you a couple of them that they would recommend.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Call the local "locate service" (Call before you dig phone numbers on utility trucks). They will mark where the sewer line is for free. (And mark all other underground lines in the area you are going to dig in.)

Then anyone young and healthy can dig a trench with a shovel if the ground is soft. You can make the holes larger and slope in the sides, then there is no worry about the sides falling in and burying someone alive. Or rent the proper supports to hold up the sides. Like these...
http://www.gme-shields.com/userfiles...Shoring(1).JPG

If the ground is hard and power equipment must be used to dig, then hire a licensed contractor who is bonded and insured. Be sure you or they call the locate service first. (Power equipment can break lines underground.)

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehg View Post
It looks like I need a clean out installed at the street (and after I just paid for a clean out to be installed near the house too.) The city will do the installation but I am responsible for the excavation 4' long and 3' wide. Depth undetermined but could be up to 6' exposing half the pipe. The hole absolutely must be exactly 3' wide at the top and the bottom and (according to the flyer) must be shored in compliance with OSHA requirements.

The guys that did my other clean out suggested that it would be cheaper for me to hire someone else to dig this. If anyone has experience with something similar how much should I expect to pay to have someone dig a hole? I would really rather not pay the sewer line repair guys to dig a hole if I have a cheaper option but I am not sure who that would be or for that matter the risks of the cheaper option.

I'm disabled so digging it myself is not an option.
Normally a licensed plumber.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
To find a Company to do this for you just open your local yellow pages.

Osha calls it, day lighting.
The banks have to be sloped to the extent there is not a shadow.
this stops any cave-in from happening.

Quote:

Then anyone young and healthy can dig a trench with a shovel if the ground is soft. You can make the holes larger and slope in the sides, then there is no worry about the sides falling in and burying someone alive.

)

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Septic tank outfits do this type of work all the time.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehg View Post
It looks like I need a clean out installed at the street
(and after I just paid for a clean out to be installed near the house too.)

The guys that did my other clean out suggested that it would be cheaper for me
to hire someone else to dig this.
Really?

Did they mention why they didn't do this last ( no more than $100 in materials) portion of the job
while they had all the heavy equipment and laborers and plumbers on site at that time?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM

40 posts, read 192,440 times
The previous company didn't install a second clean out because it wasn't clear that a second clean out was needed. It took 2 weeks after installing clean out #1 to determine there was a problem in the portion that is the city's responsibility.

There was no heavy equipment for #1. Just 2 guys from the trenchless company with shovels. They hole they dug to do their clean out was minimal in comparison to the hole the city wants.

Sadly I have called around and can't seem to find someone to dig the hole for less than $4-500.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
The front parking lot of Home Depot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House