Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times

Advertisements

I have NEVER understood the desire for such EXCESS......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I have NEVER understood the desire for such EXCESS......
Sometimes it's not desire, it's necessity (and a tax write-off).
Besides, if you don't spend it Uncle Sam takes it away!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
IT IS AWFULLY UGLY.

What is it about having a movie theater in your home, isnt that what the living room is for, to curl up on the couch with a blanket and watch a movie til ya fall asleep.

no sit upright in a chair with a blasting surround system and a screen so big you can see the actors caveties in their mouths.

maybe I am missing something?????
The chairs recline. Usually at the higher end they are motorized and some of them are the size of single beds anyway.

Projectors don't work with much ambient light, so using a dedicated light controlled room is a lot better than trying to cut out all the light in a living room. Projectors are your only choice if you want a truly big screen.

Sound is also a big issue. Sound proofing a living room ain't gonna happen (do you really want your kids eavesdropping on that R rated movie?). A dedicated space allows you to sound proof and optimize room acoustics. And the latter is a big deal and dominates sound quality. $20,000 and up for the acoustic design and materials to treat a small room.

So yes, I'd say you're missing something .

Last edited by Colorado^; 04-16-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Remember this one?
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ot-enough.html

Here's my favorite-
http://www.pensmore.com/
Don't know what's going on with it lately- seems the website hasn't been updated lately.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 04-16-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
IT IS AWFULLY UGLY.

What is it about having a movie theater in your home, isnt that what the living room is for, to curl up on the couch with a blanket and watch a movie til ya fall asleep.

no sit upright in a chair with a blasting surround system and a screen so big you can see the actors caveties in their mouths.

maybe I am missing something?????
This made me laugh. This was my husband's dream. We have a finished basement and niche in the wall perfect for a large screen tv. The previous owners must had a surround sound at one point because there were speakers wired. A family member got a surround sound set up as an xmas present but didnt want it so my husband bought it off him for cheap. He really wanted to have this whole movie theatre set up. He spent hours wiring up everything. We watched a movie and I hated it. The different sounds and hearing things that you normally dont hear just bothered me. Plus it was super loud! Gave me a freaking headache. Of course our set up is nothing like this house the OP posted about but in general this type of thing didnt interest me in the first place. Thankfully dear hubby wasnt interested in the whole movie seating set up, we have regular furniture down there. Do we use the surround sound? Nope. In my eyes a complete waste of money. We all end up in the family room, curled up on the sofa watching the 42 in. tv while the larger tv in the basement goes unused. I'd have him move the bigger tv upstairs but its too big for our family room. Sigh.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Plus it was super loud! Gave me a freaking headache.
And that is precisely the reason you need to pay attention to acoustics. Poor in room frequency response sounds loud and so does distortion. The visual equivalent would be watching a movie in a room made entirely of those "funny" mirrors.

Send your hubby over to AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews and I'm sure they can put him on the right track. If he's handy and into DIY, it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,462,950 times
Ok I will admit I want it because of the views. Everything else I hate, I would literally have to redecorate the entire thing from top to bottom. Getting rid of all the marble alone would be a huge undertaking.

The bathroom reminds me of a camper or old camp bathroom with those sliding pocket doors.

And yeah no home theater for me, I much prefer a cozy living room, a warm blanket, and the kids and dog on a pile of blankets and cushions on the floor. Just something about a home theater that seems over the top and pretentious to me.

But those views. I love a skyline from a distance and the water and beach. Yeah I'm ready, its lotto time.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 AM

20 posts, read 46,889 times
Imported Pub? that is really going too far. "The Billiards room is complete with an imported PUB from England."

And a mention of energy efficiency in the listing? that says the house is TOO BIG. This home has an automated lighting system and the newest and latest heating and air systems with energy efficiency.

I would love to live in the attic. *
* assuming it got rebuilt after the fire.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This made me laugh. This was my husband's dream. We have a finished basement and niche in the wall perfect for a large screen tv. The previous owners must had a surround sound at one point because there were speakers wired. A family member got a surround sound set up as an xmas present but didnt want it so my husband bought it off him for cheap. He really wanted to have this whole movie theatre set up. He spent hours wiring up everything. We watched a movie and I hated it. The different sounds and hearing things that you normally dont hear just bothered me. Plus it was super loud! Gave me a freaking headache. Of course our set up is nothing like this house the OP posted about but in general this type of thing didnt interest me in the first place. Thankfully dear hubby wasnt interested in the whole movie seating set up, we have regular furniture down there. Do we use the surround sound? Nope. In my eyes a complete waste of money. We all end up in the family room, curled up on the sofa watching the 42 in. tv while the larger tv in the basement goes unused. I'd have him move the bigger tv upstairs but its too big for our family room. Sigh.

love it.
while all the other posters made the home theatre seem valid, i still dont think i am missing something.
i agree with you, i dont like the louds sounds and all that,
give me a simple couch with a 27 inch TV, it is good enough, i get the same effect.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
The chairs recline. Usually at the higher end they are motorized and some of them are the size of single beds anyway. still not the same as laying on a couch.

Projectors don't work with much ambient light, so using a dedicated light controlled room is a lot better than trying to cut out all the light in a living room. Projectors are your only choice if you want a truly big screen. a regular TV screen is just as good, I also dont need to be in the pitch dark to watch a die-hard movie

Sound is also a big issue. Sound proofing a living room ain't gonna happen (do you really want your kids eavesdropping on that R rated movie?). my kids are old enough to hear R movies A dedicated space allows you to sound proof and optimize room acoustics. to soundproof a TV room is too much of a bother, I wouldn't do it. And the latter is a big deal and dominates sound quality. $20,000 and up for the acoustic design and materials to treat a small room.

So yes, I'd say you're missing something .
actually now that I hear all of this, I dont think am missing anything. I don't think even if I was a billionaire would I have a home theater. I would have a bigger living room though..... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House