Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

We recently got a new mattress, a wonderfully comfortable Serta iComfort, but apparently it is not as thick as most mattresses these days. Our new fitted sheets have very deep pockets (seems to be all they sell these days), and it is wayyyy too loose. NOT comfortable to lay on bunched-up sheet folds. I want the sheet to fit very tautly and smoothly.

Is there a way I can sew the fitted sheet to make it fit more tightly? I've googled but didn't find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
There used to be the elastic straps with clips on both ends that helped (maybe or maybe not) keep regular size sheets on the extra thick mattresses- they went under the mattress diagonally at the corners. Seems like they would work for your purpose too.

Of course I will say they seemed rather gimmicky.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There used to be the elastic straps with clips on both ends that helped (maybe or maybe not) keep regular size sheets on the extra thick mattresses- they went under the mattress diagonally at the corners. Seems like they would work for your purpose too.

Of course I will say they seemed rather gimmicky.
I've used those with other mattresses and sheets in the past. They were a pain to put on, they'd come unsnapped, I hated 'em.

That's why I'm hoping there's a way I can sew some darts, or add elastic, or something to adjust these sheets. I paid good money for them! Actually I don't even own a sewing machine now, but I hate floppy sheets so much that I'll buy one just to fix my sheets!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Waistbands from old jockey shorts.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
We just got a new mattress and its very thick. I was surprised that a set of sheets I purchased (expensive too) are extremely loose. Im wondering just what sort of mattress these sheets would be snug on. I dont have any tips other than pulling it down. I did buy another set recently from Sam's Club. They are amazing! Far less expensive that the first set I bought but what I really like about them besides the comfort, the fitted sheet has an elastic band that goes all the way around the mattress. They dont move!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We just got a new mattress and its very thick. I was surprised that a set of sheets I purchased (expensive too) are extremely loose. Im wondering just what sort of mattress these sheets would be snug on. I dont have any tips other than pulling it down. I did buy another set recently from Sam's Club. They are amazing! Far less expensive that the first set I bought but what I really like about them besides the comfort, the fitted sheet has an elastic band that goes all the way around the mattress. They dont move!
Interesting to hear that even on your thick mattress, the sheets are loose. Very annoying. Those folds and bunched-up excess fabric actually keeps me awake!

My sheets do have the elastic all around as you mentioned, and I try tucking the excess in tightly, but it doesn't help in my case.

I'm sure many people must have this same problem, so I'm surprised I didn't find any sewing fixes on google.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Due to the outsourcing of American made products the quality of sheets has suffered. The cotton made in India seems to have this weird quality about it. The elastic used is terrible, so finding a quality fitted sheet is difficult. I recently ripped one somehow, and we needed a new set. My wife, (always thinking cheaper is better (bless her sole)) and I were at Costco and saw a nice set for about $60. My mom and her were at JC Penny the other day and here she came with this great deal she got for $20. Everyday I have to retuck the sheet and I wake up with it bunched up around me. Keep in mind she bought these Tuesday. For whatever reason (wife says I'm anal) I can tell just by looking at it if it uses quality cotton, or this cheap Indian imitation. Anyway, too not hurt her feelings I will tolerate these cheap sheets, and she'll still get her feelings hurt when I want to buy a better quality when I can't take it anymore.

I won't go into what Carhartt did with my damn shirts. What a Joke!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
You could take a big dart in at each corner, that wouldn't take that much sewing that it couldn't be done by hand. It would be four seams of about four inches each or less, one would expect.

Or sew a wide swath of extra fabric down each side so you'd have a lot of "extra" sheet to tuck in.

Or go totally nutz and sew Velcro around the bottom of the mattress and along the edges of the sheet so it can be pulled tight.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
Put the sheet on inside out. Pinch each corner from top to bottom of the mattress to get out the excess and pin. Try to do somewhat evenly around the bed. Take off and sew the new corner. I would sew the seam twice due to the stress placed on it.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Put the sheet on inside out. Pinch each corner from top to bottom of the mattress to get out the excess and pin. Try to do somewhat evenly around the bed. Take off and sew the new corner. I would sew the seam twice due to the stress placed on it.
Oh yeah, I like the inside out idea. Why didn't I think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House