Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

How ironic! Just the other day, someone was telling me about a mutual acquaintance in Jackson, Mississippi, who is trying to sell his 50s ranch house, at the edge of the Jackson's premier neighborhood. He's too cheap to remodel, and has lowered the price of the very dated house to roughly the value of the lot. Still, no takers.

So, he decided that if none of the white yuppies looking at the house were interested, he'd switch from a white 'elite society realtor' to a black 'elite society realtor', and see if he couldn't reach a different segment of the market.

Well, the black realtor did a quick walk-through, and then turned down the listing. "I'm sorry but none of my clients would be interested in a house lacking a dedicated master suite."

So, if black professionals (which would include professors at the metro's five 4-year institutions of higher learning - including historically black Tougaloo College and Jackson State University) are not offended by the word - and, in fact, demand 'master suites', then apparently it's some busybody white person who has labeled the word as offensive.

I mean, nobody is as hypersensitive to political correctness as a college professor. And presumably, professors at Civil Rights Ground Zero (Jackson, Mississippi) would have cause to be the most hypersensitive of them all. And a realtor who has been moving those professors into McMansions replete with Jacuzzis and three-car garages would be up on the latest lingo.

If the word has not been offending upper middle class blacks in Jackson, Mississippi, then it hasn't really been offending anybody.

So are 'master cylinders' and 'master keys' racist, too? Will gaining 'mastery' of a skill become a hate crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times
I just threw out all my Master Padlocks.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow my REP points climbed from my post on political correctness. Thanks for all the responses.

Not long ago I attended a business motivation seminar at the Toyota Center here where the Houston Rockets play. There were 11 high profile very famous people you all know who were guest speakers. One man who I won't mention but you all know....... He was not born in the USA but he begun his talk by saying he loves his adopted country but has to say something important and must get it out of his system.

He said the death of this country will not be by crooked politicians or the terrorists. It will be the rapid growing disease of political correctness and the anti Christian sentiment.

I happen to agree. Probably because he is right.
Just for the record, I disagree. You have been repped by me before on other threads, but not this one. I am one of the many people whose life circumstances are often belittled by the constant repetition of seemingly innocuous terms and phrases. Just because people repeat something something over and over and it begins to sound familiar, or is true for YOU, doesn't mean it's not hurtful to many others. Everyone in this country is not Christian, or white, or a male, or a property owner, or many of the other characteristics that have been deemed as virtues for various parts of our American history.

My grandfather used to refer to the owner of the laundry he used as "the chinky Chinaman." He said it exactly the same way he would have used the term "laundry owner." In fact, I even think he liked the guy. But it would not have occurred to him that this was belittling, or insulting, or hurtful to the lovely man to whom the pejorative was directed. I certainly hope I am more self-aware and sensitive to others' feelings.

I worked retail for many years. People of your view constantly criticize the fact that I wished my customers "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." In fact, MANY of my customers were Jews, Muslims, and atheists. I couldn't tell that just by looking at them. Why should I risk the assumption they celebrated Christmas just because they were shopping in my store between Halloween and New Year's Day? I certainly wanted everyone to enjoy the entire two-month holiday season, a time when people buy special things for themselves and gifts for others no matter which of the MANY holidays (not only Christmas) they may be celebrating.

Simple truths: One, everyone is not you. Two, you say people who are insulted by the lack of political correctness are thin-skinned. Then why is it not thin-skinned that you are insulted when I choose to be inclusive in my speech? Three, I sleep in the largest bedroom in my house (with bathroom attached) and I in no way consider myself a "master" of any one or thing.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:49 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
why cant it just be called the "mommy and daddy's bedroom", because that's what it really is. (most of the time)
or the parents bedroom..

oh wait, can't do that, not everyone is a "parent" or a "mommy and daddy", so ok, owners suite, oops, can;t do that either, there are renters....

I hate politically correct crap

Why can't it just be called the "biggest bedroom" in the house.??, or "largest"??? or bedroom number 1, being the largest and bedroom number 3 being the smallest.

we really have some serious hangups here.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 04-21-2013 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I just threw out all my Master Padlocks.
How long until Volvo has to ditch it's obviously sexist company logo of the male gender symbol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
How ironic! Just the other day, someone was telling me about a mutual acquaintance in Jackson, Mississippi, who is trying to sell his 50s ranch house, at the edge of the Jackson's premier neighborhood. He's too cheap to remodel, and has lowered the price of the very dated house to roughly the value of the lot. Still, no takers.

So, he decided that if none of the white yuppies looking at the house were interested, he'd switch from a white 'elite society realtor' to a black 'elite society realtor', and see if he couldn't reach a different segment of the market.

Well, the black realtor did a quick walk-through, and then turned down the listing. "I'm sorry but none of my clients would be interested in a house lacking a dedicated master suite."

So, if black professionals (which would include professors at the metro's five 4-year institutions of higher learning - including historically black Tougaloo College and Jackson State University) are not offended by the word - and, in fact, demand 'master suites', then apparently it's some busybody white person who has labeled the word as offensive.

I mean, nobody is as hypersensitive to political correctness as a college professor. And presumably, professors at Civil Rights Ground Zero (Jackson, Mississippi) would have cause to be the most hypersensitive of them all. And a realtor who has been moving those professors into McMansions replete with Jacuzzis and three-car garages would be up on the latest lingo.

If the word has not been offending upper middle class blacks in Jackson, Mississippi, then it hasn't really been offending anybody.

So are 'master cylinders' and 'master keys' racist, too? Will gaining 'mastery' of a skill become a hate crime?
I'm starting to realize that political correctness seems to mostly apply to mostly upper middle class whites only. Rural whites and working class whites don't seem to have this problem

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Owner's" suite? If you think "master" has slave-era connotations...

What if the house is being rented? Does the owner still get to use it while the renters are relegated to the "non-owner" bedrooms?

Does swapping the "r" and the "e" really change anything except the spelling?

Why does every attempt to cleanse our speech of perceived stigma sound so painfully contrived?
Because it is painfully contrived. The most ridiculous part is people with some sort of power come up with these ideas, and almost EVERYONE thinks they are stupid, I've never met a single person who thinks any PC term change is a great idea. I keep hearing people say all the liberals love PC terminology, I know plenty of serious liberals and they all think it's stupid. Regular people always think it's absurd, and unnecessary, it's only the power that comes up with it that thinks it's necessary.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Just for the record, I disagree. You have been repped by me before on other threads, but not this one. I am one of the many people whose life circumstances are often belittled by the constant repetition of seemingly innocuous terms and phrases. Just because people repeat something something over and over and it begins to sound familiar, or is true for YOU, doesn't mean it's not hurtful to many others. Everyone in this country is not Christian, or white, or a male, or a property owner, or many of the other characteristics that have been deemed as virtues for various parts of our American history.

My grandfather used to refer to the owner of the laundry he used as "the chinky Chinaman." He said it exactly the same way he would have used the term "laundry owner." In fact, I even think he liked the guy. But it would not have occurred to him that this was belittling, or insulting, or hurtful to the lovely man to whom the pejorative was directed. I certainly hope I am more self-aware and sensitive to others' feelings.

I worked retail for many years. People of your view constantly criticize the fact that I wished my customers "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas." In fact, MANY of my customers were Jews, Muslims, and atheists. I couldn't tell that just by looking at them. Why should I risk the assumption they celebrated Christmas just because they were shopping in my store between Halloween and New Year's Day? I certainly wanted everyone to enjoy the entire two-month holiday season, a time when people buy special things for themselves and gifts for others no matter which of the MANY holidays (not only Christmas) they may be celebrating.

Simple truths: One, everyone is not you. Two, you say people who are insulted by the lack of political correctness are thin-skinned. Then why is it not thin-skinned that you are insulted when I choose to be inclusive in my speech? Three, I sleep in the largest bedroom in my house (with bathroom attached) and I in no way consider myself a "master" of any one or thing.
First.........what did my post you just quoted have anything to do with pointing at you?

Second.......all I have to say to you is: Everyone!!!!!!!!!!! She is one of of them PC people we are referring to.

Now........if there were still freedom of speech in this country and on public forums where no one worried about the PC police, you would be severely attacked with words.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You lie.

I was against this new terminology until I saw some of the wingnuts that were also against it, if this irritates them it's aces with me.

Sorry but calling me a liar when I am not, what I wrote was right from the state newspaper. And calling me a liar when I am not is not politically correct so you are a bad bad man.

Oh and having Irish in your name is VERY politically incorrect because you insult everyone who is not Irish.

And whatever you mean by aces is very insulting to the spades, hearts and diamonds so stop insulting people

Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why cant it just be called the "mommy and daddy's bedroom", because that's what it really is. (most of the time)
or the parents bedroom..

oh wait, can't do that, not everyone is a "parent" or a "mommy and daddy", so ok, owners suite, oops, can;t do that either, there are renters....

I hate politically correct crap

Why can't it just be called the "biggest bedroom" in the house.??, or "largest"??? or bedroom number 1, being the largest and bedroom number 3 being the smallest.

we really have some serious hangups here.
Or just keep calling it the master bedroom. Who freaking cares? I'm very aware of women's right's issues, but I would never think to be offended by my master bed and bath. It's not even like it's called the master's bedroom, it's just "the master bedroom" like the room itself is the master. I guess my family room might feel offended.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Bizarre Bizarre: R is for Racist - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House