Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The “master suite” is being phased out — not from our homes, but from our lexicon.

[..]

Why? In large part for exactly the reason you would think: “Master” has connotation problems, in gender (it skews toward male) and race (the slave-master).
In residential real estate, bid farewell to the 'master bedroom' - Baltimore Business Journal

I'd never before considered the phrase "master bedroom" to be demeaning in some way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Omg.
Please tell me this is a joke.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
This must be a joke.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
Quote:
A survey of 10 major Washington, D.C.-area homebuilders found that six no longer use the term “master” in their floor plans to describe the largest bedroom in the house. They have replaced it with “owner’s suite” or “owner’s bedroom” or, in one case, “mastre bedroom.”
The alternative names they came up with aren't much better. I can kinda see how they wanted a more gender neutral term than master since the old custom of the male breadwinner and the stay at home wife is fading away. The racism angle is stretching things though since you aren't going to have a white family and a black family living under one roof.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
"Owner's" suite? If you think "master" has slave-era connotations...

What if the house is being rented? Does the owner still get to use it while the renters are relegated to the "non-owner" bedrooms?

Does swapping the "r" and the "e" really change anything except the spelling?

Why does every attempt to cleanse our speech of perceived stigma sound so painfully contrived?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
It's that dirty filthy disgusting word my friends. It's called "political correctness". Get used to it. Your govt participates in it, your work place participates in it, the places we shop participates in it and public forums such as this one participates in it. It's all around us. Even our good ol American pastime sports is not without idiots complaining the Cleveland Indians baseball team is degrading to the American Indian. They want the name changed.

Political correctness has spread like a disease throughout the civilized world. In Australia it is illegal for Santa Claus to say HO HO HO for fear of offending Prostitutes. In the UK we have the self appointed computer part censors complaining about the word "master slave" which is a computer part. The country is working to rewrite all parts catalogs to accommodate this one person who don't like the word.

Right here in Maine and soon Massachusetts will follow, schools will be doing away with boys and girls bathrooms because it discriminates against gender. Soon all states will likely follow along and have just one bathroom for all kids. Imagine the consequence?

Most of us normal tolerant people never expect to get through life without ever being offended or never having our feelings hurt but come on people.......GET THE HELL OVER IT. It's called LIFE.

And it's NOT "happy holidays" It' MERRY FRIGGING CHRISTMAS!!!
And it's NOT "holiday tree" IT'S A FRIGGING CHRISTMAS TREE!!!
The above is the hall of fame political correctness crap brought on by the extreme minority. To hell with the majority who followed along with the norm for 300 years.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times
They are combining the boys and girls restrooms!!??!! What?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
This country has been castrated. What a joke.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
It is time people grow up and stop the stupid "PC" bullcrap. If you find the name "master bedroom" to be offensive, then you are an Idiot of the highest magnitude. If people give in to these morons, they are not any better.

I hope this is a joke, if it isn't, then the Country needs to really re-evaluate itself and find it's gonads again... if you are a female and are offended by my use of "gonads" in the post... tough crap.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
@desertsun41

I tried to give you a rep point but the software says I need to pass some out to the flaming liberals before I can give any more out to the folks I agree with.
Please tell me you're joking. I have to ask because it's not unlikely they would do that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House