Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times

Advertisements

I live in Central Florida and I am having a problems with tiny black moths. I see them on my ceilings in my kitchen mostly. If you kill them they leave a black stain on the area. I can't seem to get rid of them. At any given time I have 10 of these on my ceilings. One time I had what looked like maggots, which I believe was because these moths laid eggs. I have not seen the maggots for a long time, but how do I get rid of these darn moths? HELP!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
Pic? I think you have common wool moths, they are beige or dark brown and are very powdery which is the "stain". The maggots are their larvae. The "worms" and moths are attracted to wool and grains. Look around for the source of their interest. Wool coats, socks, etc in a closet that you forgot about, wool yarn. Dry pet food, bird seed, pasta, rice.

They can come in boxes from the grocery store, or pet store. And they are just hangin' around outside too. Find the spot where they are concentrated and remove that. They can get into plastic containers, under the edges when they are worms. Once you remove the source you can flea bomb and use carpet and upholstery flea sprays to kill what you can't see.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
Tineola bisselliella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/ga...8fix.html?_r=0

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Without a picture we are only guessing. My guess is the OP has this:
How to Get Rid of Pantry Moths and Larvae in Your Kitchen | Today's Homeowner

Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Could be Indian Mill Moths (AKA Pantry Moths). We had some come in via pet food and it took an act of Congress to get rid of them. We took a 3 prong approach. After tossing anything infested, we made sure EVERYTHING in the pantry was in plastic (Tupperware or Ziploc bags). This removed their food source. We also purchased scent traps. They make ones specifically for these moths. The trap has a sticky surface that the moths get stuck in killing them and prohibiting them from breeding. We replaced the traps every week until no more moths were being trapped. Lastly, we vacuumed up the larva we could find. It took a while, but we finally eradicated the suckers.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
If they're tiny and black, they might be sewer flies, aka drain flies or moth flies.

Do they look like this?

If so, they breed in the gunk in your drains. I find them every spring in the basement; they eventually go away. Where ... I don't know ... Keep your drains clean so they'll have less to eat and less to lay eggs in.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 85,363 times
how can I get rid of the tiny black moths ? I need help ASAP

Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxychina12 View Post
how can I get rid of the tiny black moths ? I need help ASAP
If they happen to be drain flies, try mixing a cup of water with a cup of bleach and pour this mixture down each of your sink and tub drains. Repeat once a week for about three weeks. It takes a few weeks to be sure you have killed off the moths and any eggs in the drains.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If they're tiny and black, they might be sewer flies, aka drain flies or moth flies.

Do they look like this?

If so, they breed in the gunk in your drains. I find them every spring in the basement; they eventually go away. Where ... I don't know ... Keep your drains clean so they'll have less to eat and less to lay eggs in.
Thank You and I will try that with the bleach and water Thank you so much because they're driving me crazy its very frustrated I never had this kind of problem until I moved into this new town house which is very old and I didn't know what to do.

Last edited by sexxychina12; 08-06-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
If they happen to be drain flies, try mixing a cup of water with a cup of bleach and pour this mixture down each of your sink and tub drains. Repeat once a week for about three weeks. It takes a few weeks to be sure you have killed off the moths and any eggs in the drains.
Thank You so very much I went and did exactly what you told me to do and they start coming out of the drains and I see bleach will kill them I thank God for you sending me that message because I didn't know what to do because all the houses I ever rented I never had this type of problem at all but I guess by this town house being old and so many people done lived in here you never know what to expect Thank You so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House